i9-7900X
Graphics
Radeon Pro W5500
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
No, same issue installing through Big Sur Installer.
The installer booted correctly, I formatted the drive then proceeded.
After a few reboots the macOS Installer disappeared signalling a completed installation BUT the system is still not booting. It getsa stuck as before.

I'm not sure what is going on.
Any idea?

Unfortunately I don't :(. hopefully someone else can chime in

Motherboard
Prime X299-A II
CPU
i9 9980XE
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
No, same issue installing through Big Sur Installer.
The installer booted correctly, I formatted the drive then proceeded.
After a few reboots the macOS Installer disappeared signalling a completed installation BUT the system is still not booting. It getsa stuck as before.

I'm not sure what is going on.
Any idea?
This is my EFI, I got your same mobo. Check it but remember to add your serial, UUID and all the other required stuff in platform info. You should also double check your BIOS configuration and maybe customize your own USB map (even if mine works ok but it's ok for my needs obviously). Let me know if it works.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Radeon Pro W5500
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@djlild7hina did you received your W5500? I'm pretty intrigued by it!

Just came and installed. Really like the single slot and initial impressions are it’s quieter than my rx 580.

So far...
Works:
- 3 4k monitors at 4k 60 using (Displayport to hdmi adapters/ Displayport to hdmi cables), 1 4k tv at 4k 60 using Displayport to hdmi cable
- Sleep/Wake
- Netflix DRM
- WEG and agdpmod=pikera not required but seems to help with black/green screens (Not sure what causes the issue since it's not consistent but it appears to be Navi kext related)
- No crackling audio with Focusrite interface

Minor Issues:
- It's only detecting one of my monitors Sound preferences after reboot for some reason. Just moved my cable from one to the other and that works fine. Seems to be more stable now

Major Issue:
- Randomly black (DisplayPort) / green (HDMI) screen and kernel panics/reboots.

Update:
Tried clean installs and also switched to iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS and still ran into Green screen. WEG + pikera flag appears to prevent the kernel panic/reboot but green screen still occurs and only way to see anything is to manually reboot.

Update 2:
Reseated the CPU, cleared the CMOS/reset BIOS settings, changed to Displayport cables instead of hdmi adapters, and moving to another PCIe slot. So far so good *crosses fingers*. Still not perfect but it hasn't crashed as often recently.

Running on 11.3 beta 4
Metal Geekbench:
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 4.28.44 PM.png

OpenCL Geekbench

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 4.32.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 4.07.46 PM.png

Using iPhone mic right against gpu was around 41-42 decibels at idle.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Prime X299-A II
CPU
i9 9980XE
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Just came and installed. Really like the single slot and initial impressions are it’s quieter than my rx 580. Dual 4K 60 with dp to hdmi adapters working, sleep works, drm works, and no need for agdpmod=pikera or WEG
Can you measure decibels at idle? There are a ton of apps free on App Store. Maybe you'll share some pics? Benchmarks too? I don't wanna stress you, I'm just curious about the hardware itself and, much more, about the Radeon Pro cards. Leg me explain, we know on windows RX and Pro cards differ by driver implemented, optimized for gaming (RX) or for pro apps (Pro), but, since in MacOS the driver stuff is totally handled by Apple itself, I'm really curious about differences between something like your Pro W5500 and the RX 5500 XT. I suspect there's no difference at all given the X6000 driver recognizes the Navi 14 chip and handles all the cards with the same chip equally but I can be wrong, maybe someone here knows about this things in a proper way?!

Motherboard
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Radeon Pro W5500
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Can you measure decibels at idle? There are a ton of apps free on App Store. Maybe you'll share some pics? Benchmarks too? I don't wanna stress you, I'm just curious about the hardware itself and, much more, about the Radeon Pro cards. Leg me explain, we know on windows RX and Pro cards differ by driver implemented, optimized for gaming (RX) or for pro apps (Pro), but, since in MacOS the driver stuff is totally handled by Apple itself, I'm really curious about differences between something like your Pro W5500 and the RX 5500 XT. I suspect there's no difference at all given the X6000 driver recognizes the Navi 14 chip and handles all the cards with the same chip equally but I can be wrong, maybe someone here knows about this things in a proper way?!

See my edited post above. I'm not sure how accurate to measure the decibels but shoving my phone right next to it (with side panel open) was around low 40s. Think my AIO pump is louder (it's running at higher RPM)

Motherboard
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Radeon Pro W5500
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
delete

Last edited:
Motherboard
Huawei Matebook D
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is my EFI, I got your same mobo. Check it but remember to add your serial, UUID and all the other required stuff in platform info. You should also double check your BIOS configuration and maybe customize your own USB map (even if mine works ok but it's ok for my needs obviously). Let me know if it works.
HI @djlild7hina and @pieropontra

pieropontra's EFI didn't work.
The PC reboots at some point at the end of the booting process.

BUT

having seen his EFI had ProtectUEFIServices turned off I did turn off such Quirk in my EFI and then the system booted.
Catalina and Mojave boot up nicely with such option turned on bugt Big Sur pretended it to be turned off.

So now it's all solved!
Thanks a lot for your help.

Motherboard
Prime X299-A II
CPU
i9 9980XE
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
HI @djlild7hina and @pieropontra

pieropontra's EFI didn't work.
The PC reboots at some point at the end of the booting process.

BUT

having seen his EFI had ProtectUEFIServices turned off I did turn off such Quirk in my EFI and then the system booted.
Catalina and Mojave boot up nicely with such option turned on bugt Big Sur pretended it to be turned off.

So now it's all solved!
Thanks a lot for your help.
I think that quirk is disabled by default, so everything is like it should be. Gald it now works for u.

Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 Designare EX ver1
CPU
i9-9960X
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@tegezee You didn't include an EFI folder in your post, but from the KP logs, the issue clearly seems USB related. The only USB problem I've had on our motherboard was when I didn't have "Above 4G Decoding" set to Enabled, however it didn't give KPs - it just meant that USB and Ethernet didn't work at all.

Maybe you have an issue with a USB map, or an incorrect SSDT. Or I suppose it could be something specific to a USB device you're using.

I'm doing some work on my X299 at the moment - cleaning up the EFI, and trying a custom patched version of OpenCore to try and fix the super annoying boot failure issue exclusive to our Designare X299X 10G motherboard (as described in the X299 Catalina thread that's more specific to our motherboard.)

I'll get back to you in the next 24 hours with an EFI and my current F3C BIOS config, which includes a CPU and RAM overclock. I still don't have the EFI set up as I want it with regards to DeviceProperties and the like, but it does work fine with no KPs.
Hello Bloke,
I have done some studies and was impressed the number of ssdt you have in your EFI/ACPI folder.
I was wondering you have one that is Thunderbolt specific. I was trying to adopt yours exactly, but it didn't do anything for me. Also, the audio, I got my headset parameters working, but the speakers from the back side of the motherboard do produce sound, but with a loud buzz, like the cable is touching the ground sound. Do you have your sound working too? If so, how did you make it work?

Please advise, I really appreciate any advise/direction you could give me.

Thank you so much.

Motherboard
Asus WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Had a major issue with my Amazon warehouse 'bargain' Asus X299 Sage 10G. The reason it was so cheap - apart from the bent pin- is that the X550 adapter is bricked. Didn't notice at first as I've been using an Intel Gbe card and was only in when I went to upgrade the eprom to work with the small tree drivers that I realized. Spent most of last week trying to reinstall the firmware using Intel Preboot 26.0 in Linux among other 'fixes'.
The problem is that the Vid is showing as 8000 when it should be 8086 and Bootutil output reads "the adapter cannot be initialized due to inaccessible device memory". I have asked Asus to help (I'm not optimistic) and it looks like I won't have 10G which is a bit of a bummer because I was planning to upgrade my NAS later in the year. Decided on getting a brand new board and selling-on the current board - should be able to get my money back as it was very cheap.
Otherwise the board works like a charm compared to the other X299 boards I had originally.