Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any fixes that are useful or relevant to X299 users?

It's always good to be up to date with OpenCore, example in 11.3 there are some changes to the system's XHCI Port Limit patching so latest OC removes that option.

It just makes updating OS updates easier.

I personally still use OCBuilder or just manually download from the Git and replace locally.

I agree with that sentiment wholeheartedly, and always do update within a couple of days of a release. I'm just interested to hear if there's anything specific that's changed of interest to our platform from someone who has been through the config changes.

I agree with that sentiment wholeheartedly, and always do update within a couple of days of a release. I'm just interested to hear if there's anything specific that's changed of interest to our platform from someone who has been through the config changes.

On a grander scale, no, not much has changed. So you don't need to update at the moment. It's just a bootloader in the end :)

Asking for a friend:

Just tried to boot a Mojave 10.14.6 Clover build using OC 0.6.6 (on a flash drive) and it's saying something like 'Can't boot this OS Version with OpenCore.' It's an X299 WS Sage that's been working with Clover flawlessly.

Am I missing something or can it really not boot an older OS? I thought I read it shouldn't matter...

Last edited:
Asking for a friend:

Just tried to boot a Mojave 10.14.6 clover build using OC 0.6.6 and it's saying something like 'Can't boot this OS Version with Open Core.' It's an X299 WS Sage that's been working with Clover flawlessly.

Am I missing something or can it really not boot an older OS? I thought I read it shouldn't matter...

It should but make sure to use iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS

@egroys I just did a test install of Mojave with my Base EFI (0.6.7) and it worked fine. (It's a throw away serial)
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.43.56 PM.png

Make sure your friend also follows this clover to opencore guide

If your friend is still having issues, you can upload his EFI and I can take a look.

Last edited:
@egroys I just did a test install of Mojave with my Base EFI (0.6.7) and it worked fine. (It's a throw away serial)
View attachment 511000
Make sure your friend also follows this clover to opencore guide

If your friend is still having issues, you can upload his EFI and I can take a look.
Thank you so much! You were right about it having to be an iMacPro1,1!
Oddly enough, something happened to his main boot drive after updating iTunes. The update worked and he booted but after he left the room and returned the machine was frozen. Upon restart, he got the dreaded prohibited symbol.
Neither Clover or OC will boot that drive now but I confirmed both boot his clone so he gets to deal with that. And we have yet another testament to the importance of keeping a backup!

Just to let you know guys I've sold the VII for 1700€ and keeping the 700€ 5700XT. I've seen a bit of tests and it seems the navi card is even faster than VII on Big Sur, other than being officially supported. Yeah!!!

Anyone else have issues with AirDrop and Big Sur?

I can't even use the "right click > import as scan document etc" feature anymore since it doesn't even show up.

Just to let you know guys I've sold the VII for 1700€ and keeping the 700€ 5700XT. I've seen a bit of tests and it seems the navi card is even faster than VII on Big Sur, other than being officially supported. Yeah!!!

Thinking of doing this with my Radeon VII but its in a waterblock haha, it's going for $1,500 on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back