Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I think VII is a beast considering architecture, raw power, VRam bandwidth etc. but is a fact that Apple doesn't support it officially like you can see on their official Mac Pro website page. They state the cards officially supported in Mac Pro are the same supported in egpus (basically 470/570 480/580 WX7100 for Polaris | Vega 56 and 64 + Frontier and WX9100 for Vega and 5700 (XT) for Navi). I was using VII since Mojave and never had any issue with it until 11.1 came out and broke USB audio, and I wouldn't have considered swapping otherwise. Now, probably Apple will fix this in 11.3 or later and I'll miss my VII but the unofficial support puts the VII in an uncomfortable position of being incline to unsolved bugs given Apple isn't obliged to keep the X5000 driver updated and, since the VII performance is comparable to the 3K $ Vega II MPX (same Vega 20 GPU), I think Apple is nerfing VII on purpose. So, at the moment our choice is between less support | more power for VII or better support | less power for 5700, what do you think? the blower anyway is painful, I can clearly hear it while the VII is totally silent! But I can buy an aftermarket air cooler (Raijintek Morpheus + 2 x Noctuas 120mm = 100 €) and probably solve the blower fan issue. I don't want to water-cool anything 'cause I hate pumps rattling, my Noctua D15S + 2 x A12x25 is plenty adequate and ultra silent.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Honestly you're probably better off just selling the VII right now since it has great market value and keeping the 5700XT. Is there a triple fan version of the 5700XT (I think Sapphire Nitro is one)? Was never a fan of modding with big ugly coolers like the Morpheus etc. But it may be a decent solution for now if you are willing to live with how much space it takes. The reference 5700XT looks like it has an inadequate cooler (single fan?).

I am also not sure what your workload looks like, maybe the 5700XT is more than enough.

Another option would be when (if?) the RDNA2 GPUs are ever supported in Big Sur (11.5?) you can get a 6700XT/6800XT (if you can find one that is) and enjoy great power for a while. Those appear to have similar to VII coolers with triple fans. I have a feeling Apple is going to drop eGPU support completely, but most likely RDNA2 will be the last arch Apple supports and the Mac Pro 2021 will be the last one to support it. It wouldn't make sense for them to keep the Vega Pro Duo in the 2021 version since that arch is discontinued. So we're kind of limited with options here.

Personally I have had zero issues with the VII even tho it's not "officially supported" ever since I got it a while ago (I think it's been more than 15 months now). Previous card was a Vega Frontier Edition, where I had the audio issues similar to yours. I use this Hack daily for actual work, I jump between all Adobe apps including Premiere with Metal and have had no issues whatsoever. I've had other issues recently, but they were never related to the GPU.

I want to avoid these 1st generation M1 Mac issues, but I am definitely looking forward to seeing how an M1X iMac 27" performs. I would imagine they will kick butt considering how good the M1 Mac Mini (or MBP/MBA) perform. I don't like all in one's but if it looks like an XDR display I may reconsider :mrgreen: then maybe in 2022 an actual Mac Pro with Apple Silicon. My big concern is software, and tbh I think we are about a year away from pro apps being fully there with M-silicone. I am not willing to use Intel apps through Rosetta translation layer right now, it is going to be buggy in real world usage.

Last edited:
Does this kext not work?

I'm using it right now, just wondering for those two Thunderbolt ports that are also USB-C 3.1 compatible how should I name those in USBmapper ?

I'm using it right now, just wondering for those two Thunderbolt ports that are also USB-C 3.1 compatible how should I name those in USBmapper ?

Typically thunderbolt ports are on its own controller and are usually handled by a thunderbolt hot plug ssdt. I believe kgps ssdt already names them

Typically thunderbolt ports are on its own controller and are usually handled by a thunderbolt hot plug ssdt. I believe kgps ssdt already names them
I don't know, see in the picture below, the element in the red square is my Ultra Studio Mini 4K from BMD that is connected through thunderbolt 3. Doesn't seem to have custom naming or anything like that... :-/

Just in case also find attached my OC folder, might enlight you more the me... haha.

Capture d’écran 2021-02-25 à 16.40.13.png

Attachments

• OC copy.zip
    58.1 MB · Views: 38
  • IOReg_iMacPro.ioreg
    10.5 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I don't know, see in the picture below, the element in the red square is my Ultra Studio Mini 4K from BMD that is connected through thunderbolt 3. Doesn't seem to have custom naming or anything like that... :-/

Just in case also find attached my OC folder, might enlight you more the me... haha.

View attachment 510507

Might want to reupload without your Serial Number info ;) it looks like you haven't enabled the TB3 hot plug SSDT. Can you upload an ioreg dump?

The intel ports are the most important to map. the other controllers pci8086 (thunderbolt) and psxs (I'm assuming front usb 3.1?) aren't as important since they already fall under the 15 port limit.

Might want to reupload without your Serial Number info ;) it looks like you haven't enabled the TB3 hot plug SSDT. Can you upload an ioreg dump?

The intel ports are the most important to map. the other controllers pci8086 (thunderbolt) and psxs (I'm assuming front usb 3.1?) aren't as important since they already fall under the 15 port limit.
Thank @djlild7hina I've updated previous post with IOReg and also a OC copy without the serial numbers ;)

Just in case :

- USB Audio Device and USB Dongle are plugged on front panel.
- Mouse and Keyboard are plugged on back IO USB3 ports.
- Ultra Studio is plugged on back TB3 (onboard)
- Intuos is on back USB3
- NZTX is onboard watercooler

Last edited:
Thank @djlild7hina I've updated previous post with IOReg and also a OC copy without the serial numbers ;)

Just in case :

- USB Audio Device and USB Dongle are plugged on front panel.
- Mouse and Keyboard are plugged on back IO USB3 ports.
- Ultra Studio is plugged on back TB3 (onboard)
- Intuos is on back USB3
- NZTX is onboard watercooler

Cleaned up your EFI a little. You had some kgp SSDTs with the wrong ioreg location. So disabled them temporarily, you can use DeviceProperties if you want it to show up in System profile.
I also renamed the ASmedia controller to XHC2 and fixed your thunderbolt hot plug SSDT (XHC3). Try this and run USBMap again.

Attachments

• OC copy.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 44
Cleaned up your EFI a little. You had some kgp SSDTs with the wrong ioreg location. So disabled them temporarily, you can use DeviceProperties if you want it to show up in System profile.
I also renamed the ASmedia controller to XHC2 and fixed your thunderbolt hot plug SSDT (XHC3). Try this and run USBMap again.
This is what I'm getting :

Capture d’écran 2021-02-25 à 18.10.00.png

Has anyone successfully cranked 256gb of ram on an x299 here? And if so, what board would you recommend?
I notice the QVL for many x299 boards don't even 'support' 128gb...

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back