Motherboard
Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
AMD 6900XT
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Quick update. Just now I, for the first time, successfully completed stage 2 of the Big Sur install process on a system with reset NVRAM, using OpenCore to provide the necessary NVRAM variables from stage 1 of the install.

I still have a fair bit of testing and work to do to provide a reproducible method for other people to use, but this first success seems to prove that it should be possible.

The NVRAM keys that change between 1st and 2nd stage include references to the unique identifiers of the drive you're installing to. Therefore there can't be a generic set of keys that anyone can apply. Rather I'll need to see if I can make a simple script that you can run to generate the necessary keys for your system.

I'll hopefully update again in the 24 hours, once I know more.

Motherboard
AsRock X299 Creator-1.50
CPU
i9-10900X
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Quick update. Just now I, for the first time, successfully completed stage 2 of the Big Sur install process on a system with reset NVRAM, using OpenCore to provide the necessary NVRAM variables from stage 1 of the install.

I still have a fair bit of testing and work to do to provide a reproducible method for other people to use, but this first success seems to prove that it should be possible.

The NVRAM keys that change between 1st and 2nd stage include references to the unique identifiers of the drive you're installing to. Therefore there can't be a generic set of keys that anyone can apply. Rather I'll need to see if I can make a simple script that you can run to generate the necessary keys for your system.

I'll hopefully update again in the 24 hours, once I know more.
many thanks !!

Motherboard
Asus X299-A Prime
CPU
i7-7800x
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I’m mainly worried about Adobe. It will take almost a year for them to get After Effects working because they suck as a company hahah

And personally I don’t rely on custom encoders like M1 has. I need pure raw processing power because if I ever use footage it’s done in AE with heavy treatments

I bought a M1 pro to replace my 5 years old 13” pro.
I’m a programmer (mostly ios) and as I saw on andandtech’s benchs it can probably beat my 7800x in compile times :eek:

Motherboard
N/A
CPU
N/A
Graphics
N/A
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I bought a M1 pro to replace my 5 years old 13” pro.
I’m a programmer (mostly ios) and as I saw on andandtech’s benchs it can probably beat my 7800x in compile times :eek:

All Apple apps will be optimized for sure, but Adobe is on another level when it comes to optimizations: they have the worst engineers in the industry.

FCP, Logic Pro, XCode etc are all going to work well from Day 1. Maybe even Davinci Resolve. But not other applications. I'll take a look at Apple Silicon again in 1 year.

Motherboard
AsRock X299 Creator-1.50
CPU
i9-10900X
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
All Apple apps will be optimized for sure, but Adobe is on another level when it comes to optimizations: they have the worst engineers in the industry.

FCP, Logic Pro, XCode etc are all going to work well from Day 1. Maybe even Davinci Resolve. But not other applications. I'll take a look at Apple Silicon again in 1 year.
I completely understand what you say. I stated the same.
But Why on earth Adobe engineers are the worst? They have leading softwares that are their "only" product.:crazy:

Motherboard
N/A
CPU
N/A
Graphics
N/A
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I completely understand what you say. I stated the same.
But Why on earth Adobe engineers are the worst? They have leading softwares that are their "only" product.:crazy:

Simple answer: monopoly.

When you're the only game in town, you don't really need to work harder than anyone else. They really need to stop adding these crappy "features" in lets say Photoshop that no one really uses. They should be optimizing their software.

The fact that After Effects still doesn't take advantage of multi-core processors is insane. You have to run aerender in terminal and render out to an image sequence, or use something like BGRender/RenderGarden to max out your renders.

My main reason for getting rid of hackintosh is not the fact that I can't afford a real Mac, but the fact that I don't want to fiddle with computers all day. I only built this machine because at the time there was no Mac Pro, and now that Apple is switching processors yet again, we're stuck in limbo and it's a waiting game.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
AMD 6900XT
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey guys, could anyone with an active Big Sur installation check something for me?

Is your Big Sur filesystem sealed?

You can check by opening a terminal and running: sudo diskutil apfs list

Here's an example from a fresh install I ran last night on my X299, where the seal shows that it is broken:
Screenshot 2020-11-28 at 14.57.56.png

I am quite confused about this. The screenshot above was taken on a fresh install of Big Sur onto a freshly formatted drive. I am using OpenCore 0.6.3. I installed with SIP enabled (csr-active-config = 00000000). I booted with SecureBootModel = j160, I had fully working NVRAM and the install ran perfectly.

So why is my seal broken? Is this normal?

The Dortania guide says that seal broken can happen if you use an older version of OpenCore (before 0.6.3), which I did not, or if you modify the filesystem - which I have not. This is literally a brand new fresh install.

I'm wondering if maybe I'm misunderstanding something about sealing, like maybe it's always broken unless you do a "Full Security" boot with ApECID? Otherwise I can't understand why my seal is broken on a fresh install.

I'd be grateful if someone could check their install and see if they have a sealed FS.

Motherboard
ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme
CPU
i9-7940X
Graphics
2 X VEGA 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
sudo diskutil apfs list
Same issue here on another platform X570 ( can’t verify on my Asus Prime which is not assembled yet on my case)
First install BS PB1 OC 6.0.1
Updated several times with different OC releases and last update BS 11.1with OC 0.6.4 , (csr-active-config = 00000000) :

Screenshot 2020-11-29 at 12.12.16.png

So there is a strange issue…my NVRAM is fully functional

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
AMD 6900XT
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
OK thanks for confirming. It's weird. I just checked my Big Sur 11.1 install - which was done as an update from Catalina 10.15.7 to 11.1 - and it's the same. Broken.

This makes me wonder if every Hackintosh Big Sur will have the seal broken. But Dortania talks about it like it's a problem.

I'm asking around, maybe it depends on OpenCore config.

It probably doesn't even matter, I was just confused when I was doing the no-NVRAM testing and I saw the seal was broken; I thought it meant the install hadn't fully worked. Then I installed 100% normally, with full NVRAM the whole time, and again it was broken.

Motherboard
aorus master x299x
CPU
I9 10900x
Graphics
vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OK thanks for confirming. It's weird. I just checked my Big Sur 11.1 install - which was done as an update from Catalina 10.15.7 to 11.1 - and it's the same. Broken.

This makes me wonder if every Hackintosh Big Sur will have the seal broken. But Dortania talks about it like it's a problem.

I'm asking around, maybe it depends on OpenCore config.

It probably doesn't even matter, I was just confused when I was doing the no-NVRAM testing and I saw the seal was broken; I thought it meant the install hadn't fully worked. Then I installed 100% normally, with full NVRAM the whole time, and again it was broken.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2020-11-29 à 21.25.27.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2020-11-29 à 21.25.27.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 34