Contribute
Register

X299- Adding multiple Titan Ridge cards (Thunderbolt 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Works on another comp so think it’s an issue with flashed/ssdt
Yeah you could go ahead and start another thread. On flashed bios it needs a reboot for drivers to install but I guess that’s where your issue comes from. Wonder if it’s best to stick with one card in Rp05 with bios settings enabled. Then add a second card with jumper method
@djlild7hina I'll test the heck out of that next week- could you help me with the SSDT though? Is it possible to have a separate SSDT that only affects the 2nd card?

@djlild7hina I'll test the heck out of that next week- could you help me with the SSDT though? Is it possible to have a separate SSDT that only affects the 2nd card?

Yep, currently doing that now. Was attempting to run stock firmware and old kgp method to see if display works but unfortunately same thing :(. Really wish I had windows installed on my hack. Will have to get another ssd to play with lol.

Brief recap: @dithaack is currently running into issues on the Sage when rebooting (some ASUS BIOS QCode 62) with multiple cards installed. This is when both cards are flashed with custom firmware and jumping cables 3 and 5. I currently cannot replicate this since I do not have multiple thunderbolt 3 devices to test.
The Sage/10G officially supports one card in Slot-2 with BIOS Settings enabled. It routes Slot-2 to PCH (PC00-RP05) with Thunderbolt enabled in settings.
Trying to attempt to move thunderbolt cards in different slots as Slot-2 is not always ideal due to Slot-1 being preferred for GPUs.

I have two cards enabled in Slots 2 and 3 with thunderbolt settings disabled.
Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 15.10.55.png

Testing:
Tried a Caldigit TS3 Plus and WavLink Thunderbolt 3 dock. Both docks work and can successfully hot plug between cards and/or ports. Sleep/Wake works as well and Ethernet via dock.

Issues:
1. Docks are recognized on cold boot but show that no drivers are installed. Requires a reboot for docks to properly initialize. (This is a known issue with current flash/SSDT method).
2. Display out does not work on thunderbolt port. If using Displayport through dock, it works but cannot get two displays out of dock. This occurs on flashed firmwares NVM23,33, and 50. Also tried non flashed/SSDT method.

@dithaack what devices are you plugging in that are causing the error code? (Which code again?) If it's reasonable priced, may get one to try. Does it occur with just one device plugged in or multiple? It won't hurt to ask ASUS about the error code

Last edited:
My Code 62 problem is prevalent even with only one card installed-it's pretty much whenever rebooting with a TB3 device plugged in and BIOS TB settings disabled (but not quite that consistent).

@djlild7hina are you able to share more about your DROM method for getting the 2 buses to display properly like your screenshot? Based on Casey's guide I was just using random numbers and calculating the CRC from his link, but mine wasn't so neat. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2086862

My Code 62 problem is prevalent even with only one card installed-it's pretty much whenever rebooting with a TB3 device plugged in and BIOS TB settings disabled (but not quite that consistent).

@djlild7hina are you able to share more about your DROM method for getting the 2 buses to display properly like your screenshot? Based on Casey's guide I was just using random numbers and calculating the CRC from his link, but mine wasn't so neat. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2086862

Sure, which slots are you trying to do? Would be easier with an ioreg dump once the cards are in the slots you're trying to test.

You can use casey's guide for the first one, and add nico's drom for the second card.

I found a real MacPro7,1 ioreg dump and replaced the thunderbolt drom with those and calculated my own crc8 value. Not sure how that affects stuff though since I don't really have devices to test.

Adding @losinka for feedback or issues since believe mentioned was going to try 3 titan ridge cards with the Sage.

Sure, which slots are you trying to do? Would be easier with an ioreg dump once the cards are in the slots you're trying to test.

You can use casey's guide for the first one, and add nico's drom for the second card.

I found a real MacPro7,1 ioreg dump and replaced the thunderbolt drom with those and calculated my own crc8 value. Not sure how that affects stuff though since I don't really have devices to test.
Nice! I'll add Nico's DROM when ready to try a second card again. Just got back from a quick trip.

This is what I think so far:
PCI 1: Titan
PCI 2: Titan
PCI 3: Radeon 580
PCI 4: (Radeon 580)
PCI 5: Radeon WX 8200
PCI 6: (Radeon WX 8200)
PCI 7: Wifi
The trouble I'm running into is the fans on the GPUs and making sure they're getting air. If GPU's need to be odd number slots and 1 Titan has to be in slot 2 (in my situation) this is my only choice.
Any thoughts?

Nice! I'll add Nico's DROM when ready to try a second card again. Just got back from a quick trip.

This is what I think so far:
PCI 1: Titan
PCI 2: Titan
PCI 3: Radeon 580
PCI 4: (Radeon 580)
PCI 5: Radeon WX 8200
PCI 6: (Radeon WX 8200)
PCI 7: Wifi
The trouble I'm running into is the fans on the GPUs and making sure they're getting air. If GPU's need to be odd number slots and 1 Titan has to be in slot 2 (in my situation) this is my only choice.
Any thoughts?

ASUS recommends Slots 1 and 5 for two GPU configurations. That leaves slots 3 and 4 for the titan ridge. Either that or use a pci-e riser to keep one of them in slot 2.

ASUS recommends Slots 1 and 5 for two GPU configurations. That leaves slots 3 and 4 for the titan ridge. Either that or use a pci-e riser to keep one of them in slot 2.
I think you're right, I should work on a riser for a Titan in slot 2. For now I can leave out the additional GPU though and just leave one in Slot 5.
But I was going to try what you mentioned before (can see in post #2 above) and try the first Titan the normal way in slot 2 (BIOS enabled/RP05), and then add in the 2nd Titan with another SSDT. Here's an IOReg. At this point just trying to get 2 Titan Ridges to work together still. If I understand correctly what I'm lacking is the SSDT for the Titan Ridge in slot 3. Does that sound right?

Attachments

• Titans slots 2 & 3.ioreg
    18.2 MB · Views: 97
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back