Contribute
Register

x270 catalina - time for optimization

Status
Not open for further replies.
It works on Mojave 10.14.3( x270,id:05003b19,stolenmem:00002002)

Thanks. I'll retest tomorrow, it's late here.

Have you tried any EDID display patching methods e.g. kext/overrides?

It works on Mojave 10.14.3( x270,id:05003b19,stolenmem:00002002)

I couldn't boot with these values.

Is id:05003b19 for AAPL,ig-platform-id ?

Hi All,

I've found a little bug in my system...

I plugged in some headphones yesterday and there is audible distortion combined with the channel (I didn't realize as i use bluetooth normally and that is clean).

For reference, I'm using layout id 29 for ALC298, as suggested in acidanthera's plist and have patched the following into my config.plist with hackintool:

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3)</key> <dict> <key>AAPL,slot-name</key> <string>Internal@0,31,3</string> <key>device_type</key> <string>Audio device</string> <key>layout-id</key> <data> HQAAAA== </data> <key>model</key> <string>Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio</string> </dict>

Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 17.40.28.png

I've also switched back into legacy briefly with the same layout id, but it is the same result.

As I don't want to test every single layout id for ALC298 on the supported codecs list, is anyone using an id that gives clean audio through the headphone jack?

Last edited:
Seems to be a common issue regardless of layout-id.

I've attempted to work with hda-verb and jack fix, but it didn't do anything to solve the issue - some users who have tried it report it works, others not.

As an audio technician in a previous life, it sounds as if a lot of the applealc kexts do not keep the audio in sync with unity gain i.e. the more you try to increase overall volume (gain), the greater the relative disparity between the wanted signal and the noisefloor (signal to noise ratio).

Seems to be a common issue regardless of layout-id.

I've attempted to work with hda-verb and jack fix, but it didn't do anything to solve the issue - some users who have tried it report it works, others not.

As an audio technician in a previous life, it sounds as if a lot of the applealc kexts do not keep the audio in sync with unity gain i.e. the more you try to increase overall volume (gain), the greater the relative disparity between the wanted signal and the noisefloor (signal to noise ratio).
worth trying CodecCommander.kext

yes, and can be used with hda-verb and can sometimes sort out headphone issue

I tried it with https://github.com/RehabMan/EAPD-Codec-Commander/blob/master/SSDT-ALC298a.dsl and codeccommander.kext and it didn't work

Is there a guide somewhere that shows how to use it with hda-verb?

I've seen posts online where the combination of the three has and hasn't worked.

There is also the added concern that no-one seems to know why it works in some instances and what the dependencies are between the three.

Wasn't AppleALC is supposed to supersede codeccommander.kext?

Wasn't AppleALC is supposed to supersede codeccommander.kext?
yes, but i still need it after my laptop has woken from sleep, and i use headphones, i get distorted audio

if i use layout id 3, then audio from speakers work fine but distorted on headphones

if i use layout 11, then speakers and headphones works great, but as mentioned, still need CC.kext for after sleep

you could also try this:

Hi All,

If you have a x270 are interested in fitting a native Apple wifi card, you may be interested in the journey i've taken to get seamless wifi and bluetooth switching between OS's:

To achieve this I had to find an adapter that could fit the NGFF slot and mount the card elsewhere around the motherboard, as the case cannot close flush with your average pin card adapter.

For my first try, I learnt this the hardway as I cut down a pin card adapter and mounted the Apple wifi card:

old hack cut.jpg

Whilst this pin adapter did fit in the slot and gave me native wifi and bluetooth, I found the card positioning and wiring were

a) Too close to the docking connector, so docking station would not connect
b) Too high from the motherboard, so that the backcase cover of the x270 had problems closing flush

old hack.jpg

Not ideal.

From here my options were to either:

a) File down the plastic of the case (see the case mod below - it will ruin your back cover a little, but will work), or

case mod.jpg

b) Use the adapter i found, run an extension cable to it from NGFF slot and mount it on the back of the hdd drive bay

I fixed this in place with a screw through one of the holes in the hdd bay and locked with the nut on the other side that keeps the card in place.

Before fixing it, I layered the underside of the adapter with electrical tape, so as to reduce static from being in contact with the metal of the hdd bay.

fitted ssd.jpg

Once mounted, I soldered the wifi connectors of the X270 to IPX1 extension antenna cables (soldering and antennas not shown in above pic - i will update later). The extra length of the antenna cables made it possible to reach the Apple card connectors in the hdd bay.

This solution works with Apple cards:
  • BCM94360CS2
  • BCM943224PCIEBT2
  • BCM943602CS
  • BCM94360CD
  • BCM94331CD
For X270 and X-series Thinkpad owners, this may save you time and money by not having to risk a non-native card that may or may not work with your setup. Prior to this I bought a fake labelled DW1820A :banghead:

In summary, with this approach all wifi and bluetooth functions work as you'd expect on a real mac :clap:

It also works seamlessly when switching to Windows, although you'll need to find and update the drivers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back