Contribute
Register

X1 Carbon 2017 (5th) can't install High Sierra due to the SSD PM981

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a datapoint, for whatever it's worth:

I tried installing a PM981 into a genuine MacPro5,1 using a NVMe to PCIe adapter card. System is running 10.13.4. The unit sees the drive, but will randomly but frequently throw kernel panics on the genuine NVMe driver.

Seems the PM981 is flatly incompatible with OSX for whatever reason.

Hi , i just buy a pm981 for my MBA 2014 , but it can't install the high sierra. so want to find the solution.
then see this forum.Is PM981 not compatible with High Sierra ? So need to change another SSD for my MBA
thanks

Hi Mr. RehabMan,

I have faith with the compatibility of PM981 in the next update. It is a good nvme disk. I think that PM981 = 970 EVO, perhaps, it's possible.

I can't sell this velocity. It's gold. :)
View attachment 332666

Is Samsung 970 EVO m.2 100% compatible with High Sierra ?

when does the next update? i am thinking to sell it or wait.
thanks

MacOSX Mojave Beta1 was released today. Has anyone been able to download and try this new version?

MacOSX Mojave Beta1 was released today. Has anyone been able to download and try this new version?
Clover official version does not currently support injection drive for 10.14.

YES,I used nvme spoof to drive it and succeed, but still have some problems when running OS X 10.13.4, so I sold it out and bought a SM961 to install OS X, really perfect.

With [email protected], do you still use "HackrNVMeFamily*.kext" + patch for NVMe power management ?

BTW: what is USB-C hotplug issue?

Last edited:
YES,I used nvme spoof to drive it and succeed, but still have some problems when running OS X 10.13.4, so I sold it out and bought a SM961 to install OS X, really perfect.
By this you mean it still crashes OS X, or what problems?
How did you spoof?

Has there been any updates on the PM981 front? I see the samsung EVO 970s are being sold.
Has someone tried spoofing the PM981 as an EVO 970?

Hello,

I don't understand very well why pm981 not work in hackintosh.

Anyway I found this link:
https://github.com/athlonreg/Common-patches-for-hackintosh

where it seems that a patch is possible.

Looking at the config.plist you can see that standard IONVMeFamily kext is replaced by something else. Maybe it's possible to use the trick used with 10.13.2?

I have an xps 15 9570 (2018):
- cpu i7-8750h
- gpu nvidia gtx 1050Ti
- 16gb ram ddr4
- samsung nvme pm981

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back