Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus z490-A prime
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
Intel > Need version > See Rules!
Polaris based, 4GB GDDR5. Compatible with i5 Gen 10 build?
Need solid info please.

Excellent! Thank you!

I imagine that the minidisplayports adapt to Displayport easily and sound comes through as well?

I've been trying to get one of those to work myself.

GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
i7 2500K
24GB RAM
Mojave (10.14)

The machine is very stable and currently has a Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB. I'm looking to build a new GIGABYTE Z490 UD based machine, and intend to use the Sapphire in that machine. So I picked up a WX 4100 (because the scuttlebutt around here said it should work.) Well… it doesn't.

I've oft-heard of the "Black Screen" problem, and I think I'm suffering from it. It starts booting, then the screen goes black. It continues booting, because I can log into the machine with Team Viewer. I can see that it recognizes the card, and even recognizes the display (Apple 23" Cinema), including recognizing when I unplug the display form the display port.

SO… It sees the card and is getting feedback… but it isn't sending anything to the display.

(I'm not at the machine currently, so I don't want to give incorrect specific info)
I tried putting newer whatevergreen and lilu kexts in the UEFI kexts folder, and that actually killed the machine. (I booted from my Mojave install USB and reverted the W & L files and everything came back.)

What am I missing?

Some people have success with the agdpmod=pikera bootflag. That is primarily used for Navi cards but it may also work with the WX4100.

Some people have success with the agdpmod=pikera bootflag. That is primarily used for Navi cards but it may also work with the WX4100.

Thanks for the response, but I don't know what that means.

That kind of answer is something that I've seen before. Shorthand that probably means something to a lot of people, but is meaningless to me.

This isn't my first rodeo, but most of my Hacks have been essentially guided tours (well documented, step-by-step instructions for known components.) The exception was an HP laptop, where the 'help' form a moderator at another site was to remote into my machine and (attempt) to fix it himself and not tell me what he was doing. (It didn't work.) LSS, I didn't learn much from that experience. (It turned out that I bought the 'wrong' sub-model of that particular laptop, and that led to less than desired results.)

SO… what exactly are you saying?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know what that means.
Essentially what it means is that it is time to raise your game and start doing things for yourself instead of relying on others.

Essentially what it means is that it is time to raise your game and start doing things for yourself instead of relying on others.

Thanks for the response.

"Upping my game" exactly what I've been trying to do. But when I get stuck, and ask questions, I invariably get incomplete answers (such as "do [Function D] assuming I know that [Function A-C] are prerequisites) or snarky, unhelpful responses like that one.

But thanks for the link. I'll give it a shot when I'm off work.

Thanks for the response.

"Upping my game" exactly what I've been trying to do. But when I get stuck, and ask questions, I invariably get incomplete answers (such as "do [Function D] assuming I know that [Function A-C] are prerequisites) or snarky, unhelpful responses like that one.

But thanks for the link. I'll give it a shot when I'm off work.

Hi there.

If you are using Mojave the RX580 will work, but I'm pretty sure the WX4100 workstation card won't - as you've experienced. Only because Apple never used one themselves. It's what they call Polaris-based from *1996* (I can't quite believe. But hey it's at times like these I struggle with some online resources. Sigh ...) Others say 2019 which I'm happier to believe.

Depending on how much you want to learn/know the guides around here are the best there are with easy to follow structures and lots of added help from other users. For example the AMD Radeon GPU guide is here.

Most people who have built a Hackintosh get by with their first one and then learn a little more from their second etc. I'm currently on my 15th I think. Reading my early builds it's clear I was as green as they come, still am some would say, but by reading and absorbing I've become more proficient. There's no single guide-book because PC hardware combinations are almost infinite.

That black-screen problem is caused, even with a supported/native GPU, because of the way a PC boots compared with a real Mac. There is a process called Radeon-DeInitialisation which just means, basically making the jump from boot graphics to fully-accelerated desktop graphics, on screen. This doesn't happen on a real Mac so macOS doesn't know how to handle it. We have to add "tweaks" to get that process working properly. The bootloaders we use, like Clover or OpenCore, have a certain amount of support for this, but the biggest help is usually the Whatevergreen.kext along with it's host Lilu.kext.

Keep asking and we'll keep trying to help, but remember - Search is your friend on this site :thumbup:

Last edited:
but I'm pretty sure the WX4100 workstation card won't - as you've experienced. Only because Apple never used one themselves.
These are workstation cards like the older AMD Fire Pro cards that were in the 2013 Mac Pro. The WX4100 is still fully supported in Catalina. Many people have reported success with using them in hacks. Will just take, like you said WEG and Lilu plus a possible boot flag or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back