Contribute
Register

WWDC21 Online Announced for June 7-11, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I win the macOS naming contest for two years in a row ! MacOS Monterey :headbang:

Last edited:
Will not run without T1 chip?

Couple of thoughts off the top of my head:

The Apple Silicon iMac has got to be the prime contender, given the machine hasn't been updated in a few years. I've seen a few videos of people take a busted iMac, gut it, add a controller / inverter board and a Mac Mini logic board as a replacement "iMac Mini". So there's certainly a demand for an all-in-one model.

I'm fed up of Apple releasing new MacOS features every year. There really needs to be another stopgap like High Sierra was to Sierra. Does anyone else remember when Snow Leopard was advertised proudly as having "no new features?"
What? WHICH iMac hasn't been updated in a few years?

Okay, so I couldn't watch live, but do I understand correctly that there were no other new hardware announcements?

That would disappoint a lot of the pundits.

I understand correctly that there were no other new hardware announcements?
It was mainly focussed on encouraging people to use paid Apple subscription services.

Okay, so I couldn't watch live, but do I understand correctly that there were no other new hardware announcements?
I've not watched all of it yet but it looks like they are still pushing the "unity" of all your Mac and "i" devices. So they can share more features and software/apps with each other and work together more seamlessly. If you don't own an iPhone or iPad or Apple Watch most of this is pretty much useless. Personally I don't use any of those three devices. I use my hackintosh at home and an LG Android 10.0 phone on the road. I don't need all those other i devices. They mostly just force you to give Apple a lot more of your hard earned money and keep you locked into their ecosystem and paying for iCloud and subscription services they provide.

Here's a description of Universal Control. It's a "Wow Cool" feature but something I wouldn't make use of.

With Universal Control, you can use a single mouse and keyboard to navigate across multiple Apple devices at once. This functionality works across more than two devices — in the demo video, the feature is used to seamlessly move across an iPad, MacBook and iMac. Users can drag and drop files across multiple devices at once, making it possible, for example, to use a multi-screen setup while editing video on Final Cut Pro.

What’s possible in Universal Control isn’t necessarily new — this has been made possible before through third-party apps. Plus, in 2019, Apple debuted Sidecar, which allowed users to connect their iPad as a second monitor for their MacBook or iMac. But, Universal Control improves upon Sidecar — and maybe renders it obsolete — by allowing users to link any Apple devices together, even if it’s not an iPad. Though this update may not be groundbreaking, it’s a useful upgrade to existing features.

Last edited:
Here's the look on iCaveDave's face post event when no new hardware was announced.

Screen Shot 3.jpg

Couple of thoughts off the top of my head:

The Apple Silicon iMac has got to be the prime contender, given the machine hasn't been updated in a few years. I've seen a few videos of people take a busted iMac, gut it, add a controller / inverter board and a Mac Mini logic board as a replacement "iMac Mini". So there's certainly a demand for an all-in-one model.

I'm fed up of Apple releasing new MacOS features every year. There really needs to be another stopgap like High Sierra was to Sierra. Does anyone else remember when Snow Leopard was advertised proudly as having "no new features?"
Totally agree. It's getting ludacrous. How can you have time to perfect an OS if every day you are cooking up a new one? Unless some of them are basically the same with some added features and they just name them different, but still. How 'bout some damn bug fixes and stop with the new features already? I don't know about you guys but I'm not looking for new features in macOS. The ones I told Apple about in the Feedback Assistant never got added, so unless they implement those, I'm not looking for any more features. MacOS already does everything I need it to, I just want bug fixes. Like when I launch Safari it uses like 95% CPU and slowly goes down to normal usage. If I scroll down or do anything else with my Mac it will freeze if I don't wait for the CPU usage to go back down after I launch Safari. It needs fixed. I don't think it's my hardware either, it's a bug that started with either Big Sur period or a certain update for Big Sur.

I'm using a fully spec late 2015 27" 5K iMac, running macOS Big Sur 11.4. (20F71)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back