Contribute
Register

[WWAN] Ericsson H5321gw problem (Lenovo T430)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkPad T430
CPU
i5-3320M
Graphics
HD 4000
Got OS X El Capitan 10.11.1 running on a Lenovo T430 (thanks to kartoffelsalat_reloaded and his excellent guide) but I've come across a problem I can't find anything on the Internet about and which I figured wouldn't quite fit into the T430 guide thread since it refers to a hardware part only found in certain configurations.

I'm trying to connect to the Internet through an Ericsson H5321gw WWAN modem.
Initially, the device was only recognized as a USB device, not as a WWAN device, though. After patching the Info.plist in CellPhoneHelper.kext and IOSerialFamily.kext, the device is correctly being recognized as a WWAN device, the WWAN icon appears in the top bar and upon clicking the icon, the carrier is being recognized correctly as well. However, the device won't connect to the Internet.

Upon inspection of the system logs, I think I've found the problem but I need a hint on how to solve it.

The correct commands are being executed through the modem script:
Code:
20:58:13 ccl: Apple Base Script.ccl Version 3.3
20:58:13 ccl: CCLWrite: AT\13
20:58:13 ccl: Waiting for connection
20:58:14 ccl: Connection established
20:58:17 ccl: CCLExit: 0
20:58:17 pppd: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cu.usbmodem
but then the console is spammed with countless instances of
Code:
20:58:17 com.apple.preference.network.remoteservice: more than one interface matches usbmodem
20:58:21 com.apple.preference.network.remoteservice: more than one interface matches usbmodem
which culminates in
Code:
20:58:21 symptomsd: nw_interface_create_with_name netutil_ifname_to_ifindex(ppp0) failed
20:58:21 symptomsd: -[NWInterface initWithInterfaceName:] nw_interface_create_with_name(ppp0) failed
20:58:21 pppd: Connection terminated.
upon which the WWAN modem disconnects again.

Issuing
Code:
ls /dev | grep usbmodem
lists four files:
Code:
cu.usbmodem
cu.usbmodem5
tty.usbmodem
tty.usbmodem5
with the number of the second device changing with every reboot.

The problem seems obvious - the WWAN connection is established but the connection of ppp0 and usbmodem fails because there's more than one device matching the string usbmodem. I've found the code generating the error message in SCNetworkInterface but I don't want to fiddle around with recompiling system files (I wouldn't even know how). Deleting / renaming the files in /dev hasn't solved the problem, the error message remains the same.

Is there any way to cut this ambiguity of string matching out of the system so that the connection won't fail?

Last edited:
Updating on this matter - the duplicate file names seem to not be the cause, but the symptom of the problem.

Tried different values for the interface mapping in the CellPhoneHelper.kext, however nothing has worked so far. Either the WWAN card is stuck on "Initializing..." with
Code:
networksetup -listallhardwareports
showing no "usbmodem" devices or it looks like this
Code:
[FONT=Menlo]Hardware Port: H5321 gw
[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]Device: usbmodem[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Ethernet Address: N/A[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Hardware Port: H5321 gw[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Device: usbmodem[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Hardware Port: PCI Serial Adapter (22)[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Device: pci-serial22[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Device: wwan[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Hardware Port: Ethernet[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Device: en0[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Ethernet Address: 28:d2:44:05:79:1c[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Device: en1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Ethernet Address: 02:15:e0:ec:01:00[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Hardware Port: 802.11n WLAN Adapter[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Device: en2[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Ethernet Address: 00:87:23:7a:44:9d[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Hardware Port: Bluetooth PAN[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Device: en3[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Ethernet Address: f4:b7:e2:e8:4f:78[/FONT]
so somehow there's two entries going by the hardware port name "usbmodem" and I have no idea how to fix this, but I hope any of you might help me.

Using one of the usual fix approaches like deleting the network configuration files or "networksetup -detectnewhardware" hasn't been a success, either.

Queries relating to any details on the device (networksetup -listallnetworkservices for example) trigger the same "more than one device matches" log message in the console.

I need to find a way to get rid of one of the duplicate hardware ports... how do I do this? I don't know enough about those low-level components of the system.

Hi, did you make H5321gw to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back