Graphics
nVidia GeForce 310M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm using Grub2 at the root of the harddrive.
it detects all my OSX Partitions (Snow Leopard, Lion, Installer) and my Linux partitions.
I have a GPT partition table.
I added separate custom entries to /etc/grub.d/40_custom in order to boot Chimera before Mac OS X kernel (Chimera 1.6 for Snow Leopard, Chimera 1.7 for Lion)
It worked perfectly until Chimera 1.7
Since (Chimera 1.8 and up) i get the message : wrong multiboot magic
Any help would be appreciated.

I have exactly the same problem with all chimeras>1.7

using chameleon right now without issues

but this problem intrigues me

same here...
Have instaled Lion and Ubuntu, each on individual HDD, both have a GPT partition table, Grub Installed on HDD where is Ubuntu...

the Grub multiboot works fine with Chimera 1.6 but not works with 1.8 - got message: wrong multiboot magic
with 1.7 I did not tested...

Found a workaround:

In (hackintosh partition)/usr/standalone/i386/ are boot0md and boot1h files from chimera.

Copy boot0md to your /boot partition and edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg with the following lines: (or addit to /etc/grub.d/40_custom if you prefer)

Code:
menuentry "Mac OS X (custom)" {
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod hfsplus
        set root='(hd1,gpt2)'  #set hackintosh partition here
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 199d267028621e13  #line from the automatic generated mac entries by update-grub in grub.cfg
        chainloader (hd0,msdos1)/boot/boot0md #set /boot partition here
}

Then from terminal:
Code:
cd /(location of boot1h file)
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/sdb2  #replace /dev/sdb2 with your hackintosh partition.

I think this last step can be avoided in most systems.

This workaround is currently working with Ubuntu 12.04, grub2 1.99-21ubuntu3.1, Mac OS X 10.7.4, GUID partition table and Chimera v1.10.0

Hope it helps.

pebas said:
Found a workaround:

In (hackintosh partition)/usr/standalone/i386/ are boot0md and boot1h files from chimera.

Copy boot0md to your /boot partition and edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg with the following lines: (or addit to /etc/grub.d/40_custom if you prefer)

Code:
menuentry "Mac OS X (custom)" {
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod hfsplus
        set root='(hd1,gpt2)'  #set hackintosh partition here
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 199d267028621e13  #line from the automatic generated mac entries by update-grub in grub.cfg
        chainloader (hd0,msdos1)/boot/boot0md #set /boot partition here
}

Then from terminal:
Code:
cd /(location of boot1h file)
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/sdb2  #replace /dev/sdb2 with your hackintosh partition.

I think this last step can be avoided in most systems.

This workaround is currently working with Ubuntu 12.04, grub2 1.99-21ubuntu3.1, Mac OS X 10.7.4, GUID partition table and Chimera v1.10.0

Hope it helps.

I have tried with no success, ended with safe boot and kp ! so back to Chimera 1.7 !
I have had a look at my grub.cfg
for Snow Leopard i do have an uuid but for Lion i have set=root 0000000000000000
a bunch of zeros, i think this is where the problem is.
I will try the other way around. move my Grub2 from the root of the drive to my Ubuntu partition (with gparted live or live CD) Chimera will launch Grub2. I will let you know if it works.

Just wanted to say Thank you! You saved my day. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back