Contribute
Register

Would this NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 graphics card be compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you get the card to work? I am thinking about buying a msi gt 710.

It will work, no need to see if he got it working correctly as many other users have the same card and are running MacOS Sierra just fine ;)

I just bought the same one, only this one is made by MSI, but that should make any difference, right? Interestingly, my monitor won't light up to it. :|

I'm using its DL-DVI-I out with a VGA adapter that also came with it, then a VGA cable to the monitor. (Mac Pro 3,1, cable and monitor work fine with a GT 8800 card).

After a minute or two maybe three, the Mac even shuts down by itself and if I restart with the GT 8800, I get a popup with a message saying 'Your computer restarted because of a problem'.

Any idea's?

That might be it. Unfortunately, it only has a mini-HDMI (never even heard of it..) besides the DVI-I and DVI-D connectors.

I have HDMI—HDMI and mini-DP—DisplayPort cables, but no DVI-D, DVI-I or mini-HDMI ones.

Darn, had expected this connector to work like the other cards. Now I'll have to wait until Monday for the stores to open. If they even have those cables in my rural community. Either way, HDMI is not the best option because it's a 4K monitor and it only supports up to HDMI 1.4 so it won't do 60 Hz via HDMI.

The monitor has ML-HMDI, HDMI, mini-DisplayPort, DisplayPort and D-SUB VGA. So there is no straight 'connector to connector' solution possible here.

Also, I'm afraid DisplayPort-to-DVI-D only goes up to 1920x1200 and some expensive converters up to 2560x1600, (not 3840x2160) and those are so pricey that the cost more than this new video card :thumbdown

Better send it back and find me a card with a DisplayPort connector.

That might be it. Unfortunately, it only has a mini-HDMI (never even heard of it..) besides the DVI-I and DVI-D connectors.

Mini-HDMI is electrically compatible with HDMI, just with a smaller connector; there's also a Micro-HDMI connector (analagous to Mini-USB and Micro-USB). It is not very common, used mostly on some cameras and laptops.

The monitor has ML-HMDI, HDMI, mini-DisplayPort, DisplayPort and D-SUB VGA. So there is no straight 'connector to connector' solution possible here.

What's ML-HDMI?

Better send it back and find me a card with a DisplayPort connector.

Yup, that's exactly what I would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back