Contribute
Register

Would my Dell inspiron 17 7000 be hackintosh-able?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 17 7737
CPU
i5-4200U
Graphics
HD 4400
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, I've been reading and watching a bunch of YouTube tutorials etc on how to do a dual boot of windows 8 and mac os x. However, I have a laptop I just ordered not a desktop and it's a Dell inspiron 17 7000. Would any skilled person be able to tell me if I would be successful in this? I feel I understand how to do it, just not sure if my system is conpatible. All the help in the world would be appreciated :)

Hi, I've been reading and watching a bunch of YouTube tutorials etc on how to do a dual boot of windows 8 and mac os x. However, I have a laptop I just ordered not a desktop and it's a Dell inspiron 17 7000. Would any skilled person be able to tell me if I would be successful in this? I feel I understand how to do it, just not sure if my system is conpatible. All the help in the world would be appreciated :)

Post specs...

And read here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/laptop-compatibility/106791-laptop-compatibility.html

It probably answers most of your questions, or will at least lead you to ask a more intelligent question other than "will it work."

Sorry, I'll try to post more intelligent questions for you next time my good sir, I was only inquiring because I'm unsure if my laptop is compatible with mountain lion. This is the laptop compatibility thread, correct?

- - - Updated - - -

Will do!

Here are the specs:
Intel Core i5-4200U,
8GB 2 DIMM (2x4GB) DDR3L 1600Mhz,
750GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive,
Intel HD Graphics 4400,
Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 2x2 AGN + Bluetooth 4.0

Hope that helps

Here are the specs:
Intel Core i5-4200U,
8GB 2 DIMM (2x4GB) DDR3L 1600Mhz,
750GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive,
Intel HD Graphics 4400,
Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 2x2 AGN + Bluetooth 4.0

Hope that helps

After you read the post I linked you know that your Intel wifi will not work. But the rest is possible. Depends on skills and luck.

Thanks man I appreciate it. I did read it before but didn't fully understand but now it makes more sense. Is there any way to change the wifi chip/wire (whatever it is)? I've personally changed the wifi cable in my Ipad 2 but not quite sure how it works in this laptop at least yet.

Thanks man I appreciate it. I did read it before but didn't fully understand but now it makes more sense. Is there any way to change the wifi chip/wire (whatever it is)? I've personally changed the wifi cable in my Ipad 2 but not quite sure how it works in this laptop at least yet.

The answer to your question "can I change the WiFi card used in my laptop" is complex:

- if your laptop is "ultrabook in nature" then the card may be soldered or paired with another component making it difficult to swap
- some BIOSes implement a whitelist, where only certain cards are allowed, and the laptop fails to boot or disables an unrecognized card. You can work around these issues by flashing a modified BIOS or by finding a card which is both compatible with your laptop and with OS X.

Otherwise, yes... A normal half-mini PCIe WiFi card is easy to replace on most normal laptops.

Thank you RehabMan, you have helped me greatly, you're the man! Btw, would you happen to know if dual booting will screw up my laptops screen-touch abilities when I boot back into windows?

I successfully created my unibeast finally and now I'm just waiting for my laptop to be mailed to me. In the meantime, would you happen to know if there is a tutorial or youtube video that I am missing where people have installed windows 8 & mavericks on their laptop that has 1 HD with windows pre-installed?

I only ask because I understand how to install everything but it seems the person starts with a blank HD or has more than one connected (assuming it's a tower). Is there a way to do the same steps with one hard drive and when I'm on the OS X installation screen in the disk utility I can erase the HD and then create two partitions - one for Mac and one for Windows? Then install windows on the 2nd partition? Just wondering, because that is how my mind is making sense of it. Let me know if I'm wrong

Thank you RehabMan, you have helped me greatly, you're the man! Btw, would you happen to know if dual booting will screw up my laptops screen-touch abilities when I boot back into windows?

I don't see why it would. It is usually just a USB device. No different than any other USB device.

I successfully created my unibeast finally and now I'm just waiting for my laptop to be mailed to me. In the meantime, would you happen to know if there is a tutorial or youtube video that I am missing where people have installed windows 8 & mavericks on their laptop that has 1 HD with windows pre-installed?

Dual boot guide is here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

Most of the time dual-booting on the same disk involves a re-install of Windows.

You can read my blog article (link in signature) for more complex multi-boot scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back