i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I've done 2 builds with a Z87X-UD5 TH, one with Mavericks the other with Mountain Lion.

Both of these builds featured 4770K's and used the integrated GPU.

My question is - can I expect a i7 4790 to work, since it also uses HD4600 Integrated graphics?

Lastly, could I expect it to work with Mountain Lion?

The reason why I'm asking is a have an extra Z87X-UD5 TH and would like to do a computer for my Dad.

The new UD7 TH looks interesting but I doubt it would run Mountain Lion...

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi all,

I've done 2 builds with a Z87X-UD5 TH, one with Mavericks the other with Mountain Lion.

Both of these builds featured 4770K's and used the integrated GPU.

My question is - can I expect a i7 4790 to work, since it also uses HD4600 Integrated graphics?

Lastly, could I expect it to work with Mountain Lion?

The reason why I'm asking is a have an extra Z87X-UD5 TH and would like to do a computer for my Dad.

The new UD7 TH looks interesting but I doubt it would run Mountain Lion...

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Note that the Core i7 4790 is NOT yet listed as a supported CPU for the GA-Z87X-UD5 TH, which means Gigabyte has not yet tested this combination.

While I believe the CPU should work with the motherboard, you should upgrade the BIOS to F3 or above before you attempt to install the CPU. The F3 BIOS is said to support "new" 4th generation Core processors.

The safest option would be to use an older Haswell processor (like a Core i7 4770 or 4771) instead of a new Haswell Refresh processor (like the Core i7 4790), especially if you want to run Mountain Lion on it.

And although the Haswell Refresh processors are said to be simple speed bumps of the older Haswell processors (which should make it compatible with Mountain Lion 10.8.5?) you will need to test to see if Mountain Lion 10.8.5 can really run on them.

Dear B-San,

I have been researching for a long time on how to install ML on my new Hackintosh and I came across this thread showing that you have a Z87X-UD5-TH running Mountain Lion. I have the same motherboard and just upgraded to f4. I installed ML 10.8.5 but after installing MultiBeast Mountain Lion (5.5.5) I reboot and get Kernal Panic on the boot screen. What seems to be the problem? I think maybe I did not select the right things on MultiBeast. Perhaps I chose the wrong system definition or didn't use DSDT? Thank You so much in advance.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD5-TH
CPU: Intel i7 4770k
GPU: MSI GTX 770
RAM: 4 x G.Skill RipjawZ 8bg (32gb)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb
HDD: Seagate 1TB

Respectfully,
Anson

Don't do it. I just bought a Gigabyte H87TN and i7 4790S. Intel lists the board as compatible, so I thought I'd be able to just drop it in. Fail. I contacted Gigabyte. I got a canned response "please use supported CPU", and that was it. Now I'm hosed trying to find a thin mini itx board that'll actually work and a pile of gear just sitting here.

If you have a spare CPU laying around that is compatible, you could test the board with the new one. If it doesn't work, if and when a BIOS update comes out for the board, you could flash it using the older CPU. But that's about as good as you're going to get. Not worth it IMHO. I certainly learned my lesson...

Thank you everyone for the replies; as a result I've went ahead and ordered a 4770K.

@hackintoshbros Try removing the graphics card and 3 sticks of RAM until you are able to get a successful instal. Also booting in safe mode (-x) can help before doing the Multibeast install.

Well now that even the 4790K is supported with a BIOS update.. has anybody tried running either that or a 4790 with 10.8.5? :crazy:

I know this thread is a little stale, but as an update for others; get Gigabyte to flash the BIOS if you can't yourself (e.g. you don't have an older CPU to do it with).

I ordered an H87TN Gigabyte board and an i7 4790s to pair with it. I couldn't do anything with it. Very frustrating and I even started looking for other solutions.

However, it was obviously still under warranty, so I took a gamble and shipped it to them for 'repairs' (only had to pay to ship to them ~$10). Almost a month later (wtf!), they sent it back, flashed with a BIOS update.

That solved all my problems. I am running 10.9.4 on it now (in fact I'm writing this post from it). So far no issues... fingers crossed, ethernet works, sleep works, no kernel panics, etc. I imagine if it is now supported in the BIOS for this board, you're golden.

^ Thanks for your feedback!

I'm really curios if the processor will work with 10.8.5 (doubt it).. At this point I figure I might as well order a 4790K and give it a go..

Worse case, I'll include it in a Z87X-UD5 TH build I'm doing for my dad, since he wants to roll with Mavericks anyway, I'm sure he won't mind rocking at 4.0GHz :headbang:

@audiojunky Oh yeah one more question, are you using the integrated graphics and if so, is everything solid?

I see by your screen-name that you could very well be an audio guy, so then you would understand my desire for forgoing a graphics card...

:p Yeah the system's basically a DAW...

Haven't tried anything other than Mavericks + clover... which works pretty well.

Not really pushed the video (yep, using integrated gfx), but haven't had any issues with it; seems fine as far as I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back