Contribute
Register

Would like to use a i7 4790 with a Z87X-UD5 TH

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Great thanks again for the feedback!

Looks like I will pick up a 4790K during my next trip down to Southern CA and will be looking forward to trying my luck at plopping it into an existing build to see if I can get it to play nice with 10.8.5..

I will also be starting a new build from scratch involving a fresh install of both 10.8.5 and 10.9.4 unless somebody has a solid reason for not thinking Mountain Lion will work...

Any more thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck! I think you'll be happy with it, I am so far. It's crushing my i7 Mac mini server right now...

BTW, If I'm not mistaken the rack in your photo is sporting some very nice UA gear. Mic pre's at the top channel strip at the bottom? At any rate... Nice setup ;)

Good luck! I think you'll be happy with it, I am so far. It's crushing my i7 Mac mini server right now...

BTW, If I'm not mistaken the rack in your photo is sporting some very nice UA gear. Mic pre's at the top channel strip at the bottom? At any rate... Nice setup ;)

Thanks! Yeah it's the UA 4-710d on the top, which is a 4 channel mic pre & the UA 6176 which is a channel strip, featuring the 610 mic pre/eq and 1176 compressor.

I finally scored a 4790K at the only MicroCenter in CA, made it back to San Jose & installed on an existing rig equipped with multiple partitions featuring 10.8.5, 10.9.4 and Windows 7.

So far 10.8.5 will boot only in safe mode, 10.9.4 gets KP even when in safe mode.

As expected Windows worked fine, only requiring a restart.

I currently have 32GB of RAM, which has been running stable with the 4770K, so I think I'm going to try removing a couple sticks to see if that has any effect when using the 4790K.

Any other thoughts, ideas, or recommendations would be most welcome!

Well I got everything to work by disabling VT-D.

In the past it was non-K processors which had the VT-D option available in the BIOS, but I remembered a thread saying that the 4790K now has it as an option as well.

Got it to work with 32GB of RAM as well.
Looks like I'm good to go and will be upgrading my 6yr old studio PC soon! :headbang:

Hey guys,

I'm about to purchase a Gigabyte H87 to work with a i7 4970. No Z97, nor 4970K either, since I wont overclock it at all. I'm going to install Mavericks.

What do you guys think? Is it going to work now? Or maybe going for the 4770 would be a safer option?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back