Contribute
Register

Would intel 11th cpu support hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
unknow
CPU
i5 4200M
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M+Intel GMA HD 4600
I am going to bug a laptop, it uses 11th intel cpu(i5 1135g7). I am puzzled if it would support hackintosh?
It seems that Apple would use their own cpu on an arm architect. Now I am so hesitant?

tmp.png

If hackintosh is supports here in the nearly future, i would choose it. If not, the same product with amd R7 4800H may be more attractive for me...

I am going to bug a laptop, it uses 11th intel cpu(i5 1135g7). I am puzzled if it would support hackintosh?
It seems that Apple would use their own cpu on an arm architect. Now I am so hesitant?

View attachment 493832
Tiger lake has a different onboard GPU so that might be an issue to get working. Also, the chipset looks to be different than Ice lake so that might also present problems.

r lake has a different onboard G
Tiger lake has a different onboard GPU so that might be an issue to get working. Also, the chipset looks to be different than Ice lake so that might also present problems.
Thanks a lot, did you mean it's not possible to hackintosh on this CPU?
The most thing I worry about is that Apple will migrate to arm. If 11th is completely hopeless, then I feel really bad..

The most thing I worry about is that Apple will migrate to arm. If 11th is completely hopeless, then I feel really bad..
I have no idea if it is possible but if it is it could be difficult because the IGPU is not currently supported. Apple is in fact moving to arm, but no one but Apple knows the actual road map. They may or may not release a system with a tiger lake CPU if they refresh say 16” MacBook Pro in the next couple months it could be possible. Some time in the next few weeks it is expected they will release a 13 Mac book pro with an apple silicon chip. But no one knows until they do it

Yes, it is certainly possible that you may not be able to make Big Sur work on this system with graphics acceleration, even if you are able to get it installed. We don't know for sure at this point in time whether Big Sur will be updated in the future to support another generation of Intel CPUs (when it is not even official).

Why take such a risk when you know that (1) Apple is transitioning to Apple Silicon and therefore newer (than 10th generation) Intel CPUs may no longer be supported, and (2) the 10th generation (and older) Intel CPUs are supported? Or better yet, why not get a Macbook model if you want to run MacOS on a laptop?

Last edited:
Yes, it is certainly possible that you may not be able to make Big Sur work on this system with graphics acceleration, even if you are able to get it installed. We don't know for sure at this point in time whether Big Sur will be updated in the future to support another generation of Intel CPUs (when it is not even official).

Why take such a risk when you know that (1) Apple is transitioning to Apple Silicon and therefore newer (than 10th generation) Intel CPUs may no longer be supported, and (2) the 10th generation (and older) Intel CPUs are supported? Or better yet, why not get a Macbook model if you want to run MacOS on a laptop?
Even if Apple never supports tiger lake, is there any workaround?

The new Intel iGPU will not work with macOS but the CPU can be used with a supported graphics card. So laptops are not an option with 11th gen but desktops are.

Now that the 11th generation CPUs (Rocket Lake) are out, apparently they are still compatible with MacOS Catalina and Big Sur, and even High Sierra and Mojave can run :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back