2. MacBook
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. Classic
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
sold some older stuff around the house, and i've got about $220 sitting around burning a hole in my pocket. my question is, is it worth upgrading my GTX580? i play mainly wow, but and thinking about branching out a bit. for whatever reason, i'm maxing out at about 60FPS with most of my setting at max/ultra. i was looking at selling my 580 and maybe getting a 670-ish card. my question is, you think it's a worth money upgrade? my concern is that i'm capping the abilities of opengl in wow, so a new video card won't show me any improvements. here's a link to my rig-build over on overclock.net for the specs on my system. if not my gpu, then what upgrade within the price range? i figure the $220 plus selling whatever i am upgrading is my budget.

http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/2658315

Well I can say I was running on a 6870 for a while and only playing WoW, well that has changed lol.

I bought a 670 that came with Assassins Creed III and Boarderlands II just so I can start branching out on the game play and not worry about the 6870 sounding like a wind tunnel. Now I have almost 15 new games for my system and haven't looked back. So in my opinion I would upgrade and look for a GPU that has a sale going on with some free games and enjoy the poop out of it lol

Also my 670 is a Zotac that has a max resolution of 3840 x 2160 that is connected to a 27" Apple Cinema Display via the Display Port, the 6870 didn't like all that screen space at times lol.

Check out http://www.hwcompare.com/category/gpu-comparisons/

I'd say it's probably not worth it. A high end 5 series is still a worth competitor in the gaming world and unless you're gaming on a windows partition there's not much for Mac that will push your cards limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back