Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Unless Apple comes out with a Mobile Xeon based MacBook Pro, I'm hoping to build a workstation with ECC RAM in the near future.

Currently I'm eyeing something like the Gigabyte GA-X150M-PRO ECC based on Intel's C232 chipset and I'd pair it with a Xeon v5.

I'm not in a hurry but is it reasonable to expect something like this to be supported this year? In the forums there is a successful build based on a current-gen Asus X99-E board but without a Xeon and ECC RAM so I'm unsure how compatible those will be.

I've looked over the recommendations carefully and there doesn't seem to be a system that truly matches the Mac Pro in terms of suitability as a workstation. That's a shame since the high-end is where a hackintosh could really provide value.

Look at my Dell Precision specs in the signature, 32G DDR4 ECC

Unfortunately I haven't been able to gather information about C232 or C236 chipsets for recent Xeons. Reports of suitable hardware for Xeons and ECC RAM is lacking in general.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to gather information about C232 or C236 chipsets for recent Xeons. Reports of suitable hardware for Xeons and ECC RAM is lacking in general.
Did you ever do that build using the GAX150M Pro ECC? Thinking about doing the same.

No I haven't. I'm still not aware of proof that it will work. The Mac Pro hasn't been updated in so long I fear the OS may also be missing drivers for newer workstation chipsets.

Does your AsRock Rack C2750 run MacOS?

No I haven't. I'm still not aware of proof that it will work. The Mac Pro hasn't been updated in so long I fear the OS may also be missing drivers for newer workstation chipsets.

Does your AsRock Rack C2750 run MacOS?
@slashterix i was trying many different ways to try and boot up an install USB on the Asrock Rack C2750 but I would just get a black screen. I didn't try the nvdisable setting in config.plist yet.

@slashterix isnt this basically the same board as the GAX150M?https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...50-pro-ws-xeon-e3-1275-v5-pny-gtx-960.207137/

I'm asking because I also have the Asrock Rack C2750.

That link is a great find, looks to be working properly. I think I'll give it a shot some time.

Thanks!

@slashterix i am going to plug away a little more on the c2750 tmrw and will keep you posted. If that doesn't work, I might just get the x150M ecc. are you using your c2750 as a NAS for the home or something in production?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back