Contribute
Register

WorkLog - neilhart's Mini-ITX into Lian Li PC-Q25 [Complete]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WorkLog - neilhart's Mini-ITX into Lian Li PC-Q25 with Lion

For what it is worth, I spent much time trying to get a Lion 10.7.3 Unibeast 1.1 USB key to boot through to the installer (on the Zotac H67ITX-C-E). The boot from the USB key would get down to where it should flip over to GUI and stall.

However the Unibeast 1.1 USB key would work on 3 out of 5 systems that I have here. I found that by using Multibeast 3.8.0 and installing only the 1.4.1 boot loader to the UniBeast 1.1. USB key I could boot to the Lion installer on the two problematic systems.

It is what it is.

I am expecting my front panel that I drew up for the Lian Li Q25 to arrive in the next day or so. I will then be able to finish up the cabling and supply some photos of the project.

neil

Hi, neilhart

I need some help. Following your instruction, I made an 10.7.3 Installer with xMove. I used it to do a fresh installation of MacMini, proved the USB is fine.

Then under Mac OS X 10.7.3, I first use MultiBeast 3.8.0.pkg to install the bootloader. Pce below.

Screen Shot 2012-03-18 at 22.35.13.png
When use it to boot Zotac, Blackscreen with the letter said Boot0: Error

Thirst time, I use Chameleon-2.RCr877.pkg to install the bootloader. When use it to boot Zotac, the same Blackscreen with the same Letter.

I guess I must do some thing wrong with the bootloader. Please give me some advices.

Thanks in advance.

Nathan

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-18 at 22.35.13.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 714

zhangtrinity said:
Hi, neilhart

I need some help. Following your instruction, I made an 10.7.3 Installer with xMove. I used it to do a fresh installation of MacMini, proved the USB is fine.

Then under Mac OS X 10.7.3, I first use MultiBeast 3.8.0.pkg to install the bootloader. Pce below.

When use it to boot Zotac, Blackscreen with the letter said Boot0: Error

Thirst time, I use Chameleon-2.RCr877.pkg to install the bootloader. When use it to boot Zotac, the same Blackscreen with the same Letter.

I guess I must do some thing wrong with the bootloader. Please give me some advices.

Thanks in advance.

Nathan

Okay step back to where you have Lion installed and you are prompted to Restart. Leave the installer USB key in place and let your system boot to first boot selection screen. You should have the USB key and your new partition as on screen choices. Use you arrow keys to select the in partition. Use the -v npci=0x2000 for boot arguments. You will boot to the account set-up screens. Proceed through to the desktop.

Eject the installer USB key.

Load from network or from USB key the current Multibeast 4.3.0. Run Multibeast and select Easybeast and System Utilities. Reboot now from the hard drive and proceed with the system setup. Note you should not need to use boot arguments after the Easybeast process has completed.

Your HD5700 card should be okay. However if you have problems, pull the video card and use the on board HD3000 for the system setup (use the on board DVI connector).

I use CCC to clone the working installation off to another partition for recovery when you install something that goes wrong. Remember, your USB installer key is bootable and is another recovery path.

neil

Hi, neilhart

Thanks for the fast reply. My problem is the USB key I made can not boot. Every time it display a 'boot0: error' message.

First I put the Lion 10.7.3 into the USB key. Then I use MulitBeast 3.8.0 to install the bootloader. After that I put your Extra folder into the USB. Finally I tried to boot the USB key with Zotac H67 ITX-C-E. But I can not enter the installation screen. Every time it gave me a 'boot0: error' message.

I will try again follow your guidance. In the mean time any suggestion is welcomed.

All the best,

Nathan

Nathan,

We are not communicating. You will need to build a Lion USB installer with either the Unibeast 1.1 method or the XMove method. And then install by the numbers.

I documented my installation here: viewtopic.php?f=169&t=31337.

Any version of Lion is good for almost all. When you get a Lion installation that boots, immediately clone it to another partition (and run the Chimera Standalone installer on the clone partition and until you are comfortable with this process, I suggest that you boot the clones to prove that they are good). Always keep a clone of your last working install.

good luck,

neil

Hi, neilhard

I didn't touch the Hacintosh project for the last week. After the long rest, today I went back and followed your most recent suggestion.

I made the 10.7.3 installer with unibeast method, then installed the 1.4.1 boot loader.

The resulting USB booted the machine!!! - finally a progress - then i use your boot argument,

However, after I made the selection of which HD to install on, kp occurred. below is the pic.

1.4.1.jpg

Now, can you or someone else around tell me what did I do wrong? :mrgreen: As before, thanks in advance.

All the best,

Nathan

Attachments

• 1.4.1.jpg
    1.4.1.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 1,052

Nathan did you have your HD5770 card installed with the installation you describe above? You can try the combinations of with and without the video card and when you have the card installed your could try both GtaphicsEnabler=Yes and No. This installation should complete.

Then clone the new install off to another partition first thing.

neil

Thanks for the reply, neilhart.

Yesterday I tried without the 5770. It took me ages to remove the GPU :mrgreen: Now I will try it with Graphic card plus the argument. It will be my last attempt, without successful installation, I will give up Mac and changed to PC for the foreseeable future. Good luck everyone. :headbang:

All the best,

Nathan

zhangtrinity said:
Thanks for the reply, neilhart.

Yesterday I tried without the 5770. It took me ages to remove the GPU :mrgreen: Now I will try it with Graphic card plus the argument. It will be my last attempt, without successful installation, I will give up Mac and changed to PC for the foreseeable future. Good luck everyone. :headbang:

All the best,

Nathan

Nathan - Bear in mind that I have lived with this board for some time. Anyway back in August of last year I upgraded the BIOS and lost ground and then went back to the original BIOS.

This is a portion of an email that I sent a friend.

<start of quote> " noticed that Zotac had a newer BIOS for the H67ITX card so I downloaded the installer zip package. I made up a DOS bootable USB flash drive and put the dos installer and the new BIOS file on it. The update went according to the script (I made a backup copy of the original ROM file).

Then things turned to ugly…(resetting the BIOS went well). booting into Lion crashed no matter what I tried but I could boot into the Snow Leopard partition. This new BIOS was so bad that it would not boot my Lion Installer USB stick… I went so far as clone off a copy of the bootable SL onto another drive and then with that bootable drive as the only drive in the system, I brought over a fresh copy of Lion and went through the motions of xMove.
And that new installer crashed. The KPs pointed to the PCI configuration, but jumped around, Anyway after several hours, I gave up.

I went back to my bootable USB BIOS installer and installed my backup file.

The BIOS that I am running is 03/17/2011 as seen on page one of the BIOS setup screens.

The BIOS that gave me problems is dated 06/10/2011." <end of quote>

So the problem that you are experiencing may be related to a given BIOS version. I am sorry that I had forgotten about this issue until now.

neil

I would like to report that I am through with the Lian Li PC-Q25 project, however that is not the case. I have the system together and will describe what I have done with photos below.

I have met all of my objectives with exception of the system being whisper quite. It is way too loud with the CPU cooler and the GPU coolers generating the most noise.

The first photo is the chassis without side panels and fans. You might note the front panel has a cut out section - more on that later.

1-bare-chassis.jpg

The motherboard mounting plate is removable by pulling 4 Phillips screws. The MB mounting standoffs are factory installed and are good quality. I decided to cut an access window to snake the SATA cables along the back of the panel to avoid having to those cable in the air flow cooling path. The two photos show positioning the cutout lines.

2-MB-on-MTG-Plate.jpg

3-Locating-SATA-window.jpg

Then the MB mounting plate with SATA cable exit window installed to the bare chassis.

4-SATA-Cable-Window.jpg

Chassis view with MB, with SATA cables, with USB 2 & USB 3 cables, with CPU Power cable, with top fan and video card. Note that this view is completely covered when the PSU is in place.

5-MB-Behind-PSU.jpg

The next photos are of the rear and right side. The highlight is the SATA cables dressed flush with mounting plate.

6-Rear-Right.jpg

7-Right-side.jpg

This view is of the SATA cables to the SATA backplane. Note the top 4 cables are correctly sized for the run (the top 2 are 10" Left going right angle cables, and next two are 12"). The bottom cable run is about 14" which I did not have ordered so used what I had.

Note the black wire used in the 4 pin Molex connectors; this is Mac Pro main harness repurposed.

8-Right-Side-SATA-Cables.jpg

The Lian Li chassis front had only a illuminated power switch. I drew up this panel using Front Panel Express supplied software and purchased the panel ready to use with shipping for $31.
The panel is 2mm black anodized aluminum and near perfect upon arrival.

9-a-Prep-to-cut-front.jpg

9-b-Front-Plate-hole.jpg

9-c-Front-Access-plate.jpg

The panel provides mounting for 4 USB 2 ports, 2 USB 3 ports, the power switch and a disk activity LED/Light pipe (light green). While I had the power switch out I inserted a bit of black plastic to defuse the blue led somewhat.

I took the PSU and shortened all of the wires and added the long run to the SATA backplane.
In process photo of the PUS.

9-d-PSU-Mod.jpg

This is the left side view; shown are three HDDs and the lower drive is an SSD in a 3.5" carrier by IcyDock. I added the Zalman manual speed control to the CPU fan and have it set to lowest setting.

9-e-left-side.jpg

Then this is the project currently. Note the power and disk activity LEDs are on.

9-f-buttoned-up-running.jpg

The system is current with Lion 10.7.3 and all updates. I am running with a DVI and HDMI display, both at 1920 x 1200 x 32. I have been able to get a third display running using a active DP to DVI converter.

Again the fan noise to too much. So this will be on going until I resolve that issue.

neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back