Contribute
Register

WorkLog - neilhart's Mini-ITX into Lian Li PC-Q25 [Complete]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WorkLog - neilhart's Mini-ITX into Lian Li PC-Q25 with Lion

Hi, neilhart

I need some help with the Zotac H67 mobo.

Today I tried to install the OS Lion.

First, with xMove I made the installer ( use it to do a fresh Mac mini installation - success)

OH, before that, let me show your my mobo info as below
zotac mobo.jpg

2nd, install Chimera 1.8.0 r1394 onto the USB installer to make it bootable. After reduce the ram to 4gb, disabled the ATI 5770, connected with only one hdd, I tried to boot from the installer( which only be touched by with xMove and Chimera 1.8.0) below is the pic

pic 001.jpg

Then it's a kernel panic. Pic one is the kp, pic two is the reports.

1.IMG_0001.jpg

2.IMG_0005.jpg

What mistake did I make? :banghead: Then I remembered you mentioned previously quote - The concept is that USB stick has an Easybeast structure and is generally bootable on most PCs - unquote. So I installed the Easybeast onto the USB installer, and define the system as Macmini then tried to boot from the modified the installer again. This time I managed to enter the grey screen, then problem show as below

IMG_0006.JPG

A whole day's work went into toilet. :crazy: But i recalled your reply that quote - As I recall I originally made the xMove Installer partition per the directions and built my first Lion machine. Then cloned the Installer partition (using CCC) off the a 8GB USB stick. And ran Multibeast Easybeast on the USB stick (which puts the /Extra and contents onto the USB stick and makes it bootable - unquote.

I think my problem happened after the xMove. Since the installer can be used to install Macmini, it self is fine. I am confused with what to do after that with Easybeast.

Could you repeat your original method of making the USB installer and help me out with the detail, please?

That's all by now. Thanks in advance.

Nathan

Attachments

• zotac mobo.jpg
    zotac mobo.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 606
  • pic 001.jpg
    pic 001.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 1,220
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    681 KB · Views: 700
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 468

zhangtrinity said:
Hi, neilhart

I need some help with the Zotac H67 mobo.

Today I tried to install the OS Lion.

First, with xMove I made the installer ( use it to do a fresh Mac mini installation - success)

OH, before that, let me show your my mobo info as below
zotac mobo.jpg

2nd, install Chimera 1.8.0 r1394 onto the USB installer to make it bootable. After reduce the ram to 4gb, disabled the ATI 5770, connected with only one hdd, I tried to boot from the installer( which only be touched by with xMove and Chimera 1.8.0) below is the pic

pic 001.jpg

Then it's a kernel panic. Pic one is the kp, pic two is the reports.

1.IMG_0001.jpg

2.IMG_0005.jpg

What mistake did I make? :banghead: Then I remembered you mentioned previously quote - The concept is that USB stick has an Easybeast structure and is generally bootable on most PCs - unquote. So I installed the Easybeast onto the USB installer, and define the system as Macmini then tried to boot from the modified the installer again. This time I managed to enter the grey screen, then problem show as below

IMG_0006.JPG

A whole day's work went into toilet. :crazy: But i recalled your reply that quote - As I recall I originally made the xMove Installer partition per the directions and built my first Lion machine. Then cloned the Installer partition (using CCC) off the a 8GB USB stick. And ran Multibeast Easybeast on the USB stick (which puts the /Extra and contents onto the USB stick and makes it bootable - unquote.

I think my problem happened after the xMove. Since the installer can be used to install Macmini, it self is fine. I am confused with what to do after that with Easybeast.

Could you repeat your original method of making the USB installer and help me out with the detail, please?

That's all by now. Thanks in advance.

Nathan

Nathan,
Looks like a classic power management KP. You need to install nullcpupowermanagement.kext to stop it from happening........

Hi, minihack

Thanks for the reply. So far for the USB Installer, I first make it with xMove, no problem. Then I install the standard alone Chimera 1.8.0 r1394 onto the USB installer, no problem. At this stage, on the USB drive, there is no Extra folder.

Searching the forum, nullcpupowermanagement.kext is very important. Now, how can I install it onto USB? With MultiBeast, after use EasyBeast, seems some damages are done to the Installer. Should I simply create an Extra folder on the USB and place the nullcpupowermanagement.kext into it?

Thanks in advance. And sorry for my lack of hacintosh basic training :p ,

P.S. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

All the best,

Nathan

Oh yes, happy St Paddys......

For Lion kexts need to be installed into S/L/E. Lots of ways of doing that I personally use kext wizard, kext utility is another and I think kext beast is the tool of choice on the site. However, you can install it too most simply using multibeast. In fact I use multibeast for pretty much everything to be honest. The nullcpupowermanagement kext is part of an Easybeast install though, so make sure that you are choosing the correct destination drive.....you also can just install that kext on it's own if you think that it's the only one you have missed. However, if you missed one you may have misse others so the safe option is simply to tick Easybeast Install and go from there.

It's a little while since I installed from a USB stick, but the null kext needs to be in the SLE folder of the USB stick to stop that stick from KP'ing. Then it also of course needs to be installed to your destination drive once Lion is on there.

I haven't read through all the steps you've been through today, but take heart it is always salveagable (well, mostly!). The good thing is you can always re-install a kext without it causing a problem so if in doubt run "Multibeast".

One thing to watch for though is that sometimes it won't let you select the install destination upfront, so if it chooses a different destination just tick any box, click to go to the next step, then it'll let you choose destination and you can make all of you choices for real.

Good luck. you'll get there. Might be a good idea though to sleep on it and come back to it after St Paddys.....

Nathan and Minihack - Sorry I was not watching this thread today but I was working a hack on Lion 10.7.3; I was attempting to get the Unibeast produced USB stick to boot through to the installer. Not having much luck sad to say.

However my original USB installer that I made up from the original Lion 10.7 app still boots through to the installer process. I just tested it on the Zotac H67ITX-C-E motherboard and is still a good installer. Again this was with Lion 10.7 and it has Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r877 for a boot loader and the following in the /Extra folder:

Extra.jpg

This was from last fall and the version of Multibeast in use last fall.

If you still need a solution, please provide the details in a PM and I will see if I can help.

neil

Attachments

• Extra.pdf
    71.8 KB · Views: 226
  • Extra.jpg
    Extra.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 481

More:

I have used xMove (the current download) following the original instructions to build an installer partition using the current Lion 10.7.3 app store down load.

I then CCC'd the installer partition to a 8GB GUID formatted USB stick.

I then copied the /Extra folder from the original USB installer (see above) and then brought over an archive copy of Multibeast 3.8.0 and used it to install a boot loader onto the new USB installer stick (I have tried the current Chimera and found that it does not work well with my old /Extra folder).

This new stick booted on the Zotac H67ITX-C-E motherboard and the Lion installer came up.

I am running an LION 10.7.3 clean install now. The install completed and I have just gone through the account setup pages and I am at the LION 10.7.3 desktop (with no network, no sound, no video acceleration, etc). Ready to start the tweeking.

I still do not understand why my Unibeast built USB stick fails to boot correctly. When I understand I will share.

Neil

Edit 1 - Of interest I used -v npci=0x2000 as boot arguments in the above.
My target drive has 3 each 60 GB partitions. My first task is to clone off a copy to the second partition. My network interfaces did not come up so I am using a USB stick to move CCC, Multibeast and Chimera onto the system. And I am using a Nvidia GF 9600GT video card. Will pull that card and switch to HD3000 soon.

Edit 2 - With the first pass of Mulitibeast 4.3.0, I installed "Easybeast" and then booted from the hard drive and had my native resolution and acceleration. On the second pass I picked up Ethernet and changed to Mini Mac system definition. But still no sound. Booting 64Bit mode with no boot arguments. And updating my clone recovery partition.

hi, neilhart

Thanks for the answers. Last month I also tried to use Unibeast and Lion 10.7.3 to make an installer, which failed. Stuck up at the grey screen. Wish you good luck.

I also experienced the loud fun noise from the Zotac mobo when using the H3000 graphic unit. It happened both to Mac and Windows system. Have you found a way to kill it?

Now go back to the USB installer. I have Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r877 & Lion 10.7. For the MultiBeast I only have the latest. I will give it a try to see if I can duplicate your successful installation. If not, i will send you a PM for help. :p

About the making of the USB installer. After using xMove to make the Lion 10.7 USB key, I will install Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r877 into the USB. I guess next step is to use MultiBeast to customize it. Should I just install the MultiBeast by using the USB key as the destination? Or according to your previous post, I should some how copy the USB key out into a separate partition of a HDD, then make the modification. That is the key part I am confusing about. Please shine some light on it. :D

Thanks in advance. And happy St. Patrick's Day!

All the best,

Nathan

hi, neilhart

I missed your most recent post. According to that, I will try to follow your instruction step by step. Let's see what will happen. Could you post a copy of your old /Extra folder in the post please? If it's not violate the forum rules. I already managed to grab an Multibeast 3.8.0 and Lion 10.7.3.

All the best,

Nathan

zhangtrinity said:
hi, neilhart

I missed your most recent post. According to that, I will try to follow your instruction step by step. Let's see what will happen. Could you post a copy of your old /Extra folder in the post please? If it's not violate the forum rules. I already managed to grab an Multibeast 3.8.0 and Lion 10.7.3.

All the best,

Nathan

Okay here is a copy of my extra.

neil

Attachments

• Extra.zip
    505.1 KB · Views: 160

Got it. Thanks million.

Hopefully this time I can do a successful installation.

Nathan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back