Contribute
Register

WorkLog - neilhart's Mini-ITX into Lian Li PC-Q25 [Complete]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WorkLog - neilhart's Mini-ITX into Lian Li PC-Q25 with Lion

A #1 - You will need to see what works. I made mine months ago. The concept is that USB stick has an Easybeast structure and is generally bootable on most PCs.

A #2 - I use mini mac and get HD3000 with DVI and HDMI functioning.

A #3 - I think that the 5770 is supported in all Lion versions - just not running 3 displays and that is why I use the 10.6.7 ATI drivers.

Thanks for the answers. My further questions:

1) After making USB stick with xMove, should I install both Easybeast and Chimera 1.8.x onto the USB stick to make an Easybeast structure?

2) The latest MacMini is not as powerfull as both iMac and Mac Pro. By using MacMini's profile, will it limit the performance of my beloved Hacintosh? - just curious.

3) With an Hacintosh, is it still possible to boot from an Diskwarrior DVD? I normally use it to maintain the Mac system.

Thanks again.

All the best,

Nathan

zhangtrinity said:
A #1 - You will need to see what works. I made mine months ago. The concept is that USB stick has an Easybeast structure and is generally bootable on most PCs.

A #2 - I use mini mac and get HD3000 with DVI and HDMI functioning.

A #3 - I think that the 5770 is supported in all Lion versions - just not running 3 displays and that is why I use the 10.6.7 ATI drivers.

Thanks for the answers. My further questions:

1) After making USB stick with xMove, should I install both Easybeast and Chimera 1.8.x onto the USB stick to make an Easybeast structure?

2) The latest MacMini is not as powerfull as both iMac and Mac Pro. By using MacMini's profile, will it limit the performance of my beloved Hacintosh? - just curious.

3) With an Hacintosh, is it still possible to boot from an Diskwarrior DVD? I normally use it to maintain the Mac system.

Thanks again.

All the best,

Nathan

As I recall I originally made the xMove Installer partition per the directions and built my first Lion machine. Then cloned the Installer partition (using CCC) off the a 8GB USB stick. And ran Multibeast Easybeast on the USB stick (which puts the /Extra and contents onto the USB stick and makes it bootable. Again this was the first week that Lion was available from the App Store.

The point of using the mini mac definition was just to get the HD3000 to see the HDMI port. With the default MacPro 3,1 definition all I had was HD3000 with a DVI port.

I don't own Diskwarrior so can not share if it is bootable.

As an aside, I do not run Windows anything on hardware. I run Win XP Pro as a VM on VMWare Fusion.

neil

zhangtrinity said:

Diskwarrior DVD will not be directly bootable (in the same way that an OSX install disk is not directly bootable). I expect it can be made bootable, for instance by using an iBoot CD to get to the boot screen, swapping the iBoot CD for the Diskwarrior DVD and refreshing in the way you would do to boot an install disk it may well work.

Another option might be to back up your diskwarrior DVD to a USB stick (e.g. using carbon copy cloner) and then install chimera onto the USB stick to make the USB stick bootable.

In years past I did use Diskwarrior on my Macs, but I have some recollection that it is not as useful (i.e. not as functional) for Hacks.

A status on the Lian Li PC-Q25 project.

I purchased a Sapphire Radeon HD6870 card for this build along with a Cooler Master 500 watt power supply.

I found that installing the HD6870 was not "works OOB". Initially I used GE=No and had both DVI and HDMI working. I found that I had to use some boot time flags to use GE=Yes and AtiConfig=Bulrushes with Atiports=4 worked but I had a sicky cursor.

As all users should do, I searched the forum for a solution and sure enough there was one by philipatkins at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=52684 that works great (for me).

Anyway I assembled all into the chassis and buttoned it up and accomplished the first evaluation run. The fans are too noisy and the front panel power LED is way too bright.
The one hour full load thermal run I saw the CPU temps stabalize at 76C in a 72F room.

So the task is to find a way kill the fan noise, custom dress the internal cables (cut out the unneeded length) and add USB ports and HDD LED; and tone down the power LED.

Other then that this seems to be a very nice small chassis. More to follow.

neil

Attachments

• HD6870.jpg
    HD6870.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,152
  • Lian-li-inprocess.jpg
    Lian-li-inprocess.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 2,436

Very minor update. I have three displays going from the HD6870

#1 Display port to active adapter to DVI output to 1920 x 1200 x 32.
#2 HDMI port to HDMI input to HD TV output to 1920 x 1200 x 32.
#3 DVI-D port to DVI display ouput to 1600 x 1200 x 32.

Full resolution adjustable and accelerated.

This is with the patched ATI6000Contoller.kext from philipatkins at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=52684

neil

hi,

After a long week, my Hacintosh project resumed. I finally managed to make an Lion installer versioin 10.7 with xMove ( thanks to neilhart). Unfortunately my first bold attempt of OS installation ended up with a Kernel Panic screen ( but this happened when I attached the Sapphire 5770 and 2x4 Gb ram - so I guess it's exceptional)

My question here is, in your previous successful experience, show I run the H67 itx-c-e alone with 4GB ram, and using the h3000 on board gpu? After the OS installation, I can add the Sapphire 5770 and more ram?

Any suggestion or comments are sincerely welcomed. I hope this Saturday will worth the effort. Thanks in advance.

All the best,

Nathan

zhangtrinity said:
hi,

After a long week, my Hacintosh project resumed. I finally managed to make an Lion installer versioin 10.7 with xMove ( thanks to neilhart). Unfortunately my first bold attempt of OS installation ended up with a Kernel Panic screen ( but this happened when I attached the Sapphire 5770 and 2x4 Gb ram - so I guess it's exceptional)

My question here is, in your previous successful experience, show I run the H67 itx-c-e alone with 4GB ram, and using the h3000 on board gpu? After the OS installation, I can add the Sapphire 5770 and more ram?

Any suggestion or comments are sincerely welcomed. I hope this Saturday will worth the effort. Thanks in advance.

All the best,

Nathan

Hi Nathan,
As Neil won't be up for a few hours and I can see you are in Ireland and ready to go (!) I thought I'd answer your installation question. The 4GB limit applies just up until you have got the system booting properly from a hard drive (i.e. have Multibeast all installed okay). As soon as that is in place you can add as much RAM as you like.

I'm sure Neil will be online later and add more specific advice for this board and hardware.

Good luck.

Hi, minihack

It's morning here in Dublin. I will try to do the Hacintosh Project today. Thanks million for the reply. Be back soon after the breakfast.

All the best,

Nathan.

zhangtrinity said:
Hi, minihack

It's morning here in Dublin. I will try to do the Hacintosh Project today. Thanks million for the reply. Be back soon after the breakfast.

All the best,

Nathan.

yep and it's raining here in West Yorkshire. Time for some hot cross buns for my breakkie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back