1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
All,

Some background. I was embarking to build a Hackintosh and needed to use a Micro ATX board. I also wanted an H-series board. I had read about the MSI H55M-ED55 board and it seemed like a real winner. The overclock genie feature is really nice for a simple, stable overclock without having to know how to do it. It also had good performance metrics in reviews i read.

I also have read some newer posts that MSI boards work very Vanilla and require very few edits to work with a Hackintosh. Well, I can confirm this to be the case. The following is my super stable build using this board along with my notes. DSDT.aml and edited boot file attached.

COMPUTER BUILD:
MB: MSI H55M-ED55 with bios version 1.6
Cooler: Stock for now
CPU: I7-870
Memory: Kingston 4GB (2x2) PC8500 1333
GPU: HIS 4670HD 1GB ddr3
HDD: 2 Western Digital Green 500GB drives (not raided)
DVD/BR Burner: Plextor Blu Ray Burner
Case: Zalman HD135

HACKINTOSH BUILD
- Using iBoot+Multibeast (For me, I had to use iBoot-ATI as Unified caused problems)
- Kext options: Legacy889 for audio and the standard realtek 81XX drivers for LAN
- Edited DSDT (EDITS: RTC, DTGP, HPET, HDEF, CPU, Aliases fixes)
- E/E Folder: FakeSMC and LegacyHDA (for the realtek ALC889)
- SMBIOS: Chose the iMac i7

After the first install, I had to edit my boot file to make one very small change to enable my graphics card to work (it would show a black screen after the apple load). For my card, i had to change the framebuffer type from "motmot" to "flicker". Recompiled using the AsereBLN 1.1.9 bootloader (because it includes the restart fix whereas the source Chameleon RC4 does not). Then just added the "RestartFix=yes" string to my boot.plist.

System runs great and stable. See my notes below:

NOTES
- SpeedStep - Working in Vanilla version. Optimal bios settings are everything on and C-state set to C6. That allowed me to get best temps.
- Audio - Implemented HDEF fix for the ALC889. Audio works from SPDIF. Note however, that i have only been able to get 5.1 in certain apps the force detect dolby and DTS (ie plex and boxee).
- Network - I am using the released Realtek 81xx driver from multibeast
- Sleep - Works from Menu (startup from sleep np as well). Energy saver sleep only puts hard disk to sleep so i am using PleaseSleep which works perfectly to put hack to sleep and wake it.
- Restart and shutdown work.

Next goal is to learn how to remove the useless code from the DSDT and shrink it from the 8800+ lines as well as try and get native sleep working.

Attachments

• Edited-msi-h55m-ed55-1.6-dsdt.aml
    29.8 KB · Views: 272
  • boot.zip
    81.4 KB · Views: 136
dhy8386,

i found your post by several attempts to find a tut on installing on a msi h55m-ed55 motherboard + ATI 5770 videocard +partitioned 2 TB HD.

And i keep running into the same problem.

somehow when booting from the latest iboot cd, when i get to chameleon, eject iboot, insert 'a' Mac OSX cdrom and press F5, the text underneath the dvd-rom logo shows a thick white 'scrambled' line, as if it hangs.
the same line shows in the top of the screen. Though pressing enter at this point seems to activate the process but stops after about 1 second asking to reboot the pc.

i followed the instructions on Ram size, bios settings ( AHCI, HPET (no 64bit option available though) having 4GB MAX, ACPI S3) but without any succes....

Is there anything i might be missing, since your post is the only one i can find through a search string of "H55M-ED55" on google. searching tonymac forum comes up with 0 results.

I hope this post isn't too old.

Thnx

How the **** did you get it installing, i have the H55M-E33 which is from what i can gather very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back