Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey kids -

For those of you who are in the market for a PCIe card for your CustoMac, I seem to have stumbled across what appears to be a good candidate from my local Fry's store:

TRENDnet TEG-ECTX

Looks like it can also be purchased from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Gigabit-Express-Adapter-TEG-ECTX/dp/B001G663VM

...and MicroCenter:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/305875/Gigabit_PCI_Express_Adapter

Background & Discovery
Found out the hard way that the version of Plex Media Server (PMS) that runs natively on my my relatively new NetGear ReadyNAS is woefully outdated and will probably no longer be updated (due to underpowered ARM processor). So I took some leftover parts & built a box (Sandy Bridge i5) that will do nothing but stay on 24/7 and run PMS as well as run my Indigo server for my home automation. Because I didn't want any bandwidth bottlenecks on this box (just because :crazy:), I decided to add a 2nd network interface card (NIC) and aggregate.

My motherboard (GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3) already has an on-board Realtek RTL8111E NIC, so I knew that if I could find a Realtek-based PCIe NIC, it should be pretty much PnP right out of the box. Initially I was looking for an Intel-based NIC @ my local Fry's store, because from what I gather, many people seem to find them more reliable. Unfortunately Fry's didn't have any Intel or Intel-based NICs. BUT they did have this TRENDnet card. And as luck would have it, there was an "open box" so that I could examine the chipset. Behold:
20140504_131534.jpg

Install
So I bought an unopened sales package and brought it home. Install went something like this:
  1. Powered down my system.
  2. Opened up the case & installed card in the little white 1x slot (this is the only card in the build, so it could have easily gone in any of the other PCIe slots, too).
  3. Closed up the case & reconnected everything.
  4. Powered up the system.

Config
As I expected (but of course to my delight), the system booted up normally, albeit maybe 10 seconds slower than usual. Not the end of the world. I didn't connect an Ethernet cable to the new NIC yet - I only had the on-board NIC connected to my network. I tested my existing Ethernet/Internet connection and everything was working per normal.

So now I go into System Preferences > Network. The following is displayed:
Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 1.25.17 PM.png

I click OK and then Apply as instructed. I now connect the new NIC to my switch...and after about 15 seconds, I see the following:
Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 1.26.25 PM.png

Again, this worked as described here because I already had a stable build that included the MultiBeast setting/kext for the Realtek network adapter. If you have a board that's already using Intel or Atheros NICs and add this card, you may need to boot in safe mode after hardware install, then re-run MultiBeast, selecting the Realtek option in addition to your existing network adapter. Some of you moderators & hardware gurus, please keep me honest here! :mrgreen:

Summary
If for some reason, you have a build with a single on-board NIC and want to add a 2nd... OR your on-board NIC decides to crap out, I would recommend this card as an option. BTW, on the shelf right above the TRENDnet PCIe card that is the topic of the post, there was also a TRENDnet PCI Gig-E card. There was an open box on this one as well, and this one also appears to use a Realtek chipset (although not the same chipset as this card). For those who want/need to go with regular PCI, this might also be a very inexpensive & viable option.

CHEERS!
--B

PS - To any of my fellow mods: what's the process to update the Wiki > Network Card Database page to include this device?

Attachments

• 20140504_131534.jpg
    20140504_131534.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 310
Follow-up: a 2nd Mac-compatible Gig-E PCIe card

Went to my local MicroCenter yesterday at lunch to get a couple odds & ends. Found this card on the shelf:
Netis AD-1103

I was able to actually take a look at the card to examine the chipset. I discovered that this card also uses Realtek chipset:
20140505_131250.jpg

While I did not purchase this card (yet) and physically test it myself, I strongly suspect that this card should also work just fine OoB, using the Realtek kext in MultiBeast. Interestingly enough, on the product page for this card, the manufacturer even shows that this card is OS X/Mac-compatible.

If you don't have a MicroCenter close by or don't want to use them, you can of course find this device at the usual Tonymacx86.com-approved sources like NewEgg and Amazon:

NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833389009
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Netis-Gigabit-PCI-Express-Adapter-AD-1103/dp/B0051PWTVW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399385495&sr=8-1&keywords=AD-1103

:headbang:

So, I acquired a Dell Precision T3500 which by adding an nVidia GeForce 610 turns into a MacPro :) The onboard NIC is not recognized. I was at MicroCenter intent on getting an Intel card. I happened to see the 2nd card mentioned in the post above, the Netis AD-1103. Did some Googling quick and found it had the correct RealTek chipset. I installed it with the OS X driver which was made for Lion and it worked. I've seen there are drivers out there for 10.8 and above as well as the driver in MultiBeast. Any benefit to using those ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back