Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 F23g
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
@jaymonkey In response to a posting of yours on another board concerning a working alternative for an Intel i255-V onboard NIC I recommend the D-Link Gigabit DGE-560T, which works extremely well with Mieze's RealtekRTL8111.kext Version 2.4.2. The advantage is that this NIC operates in full promiscuous mode and is thus compatible with a Network monitor that I have running in continuous mode on my desktop. "Wake for network access" as well as "Enable Power Nap" is also supported by this NIC without interfering with the sleep functionality of this mobo. Refer to the attached screenshots for more detailed info.

I am using this NIC on all 6 of my hacks even though on four of my rigs the onboard NIC's are working well but without "Wake for network access" functionality.

On all my hacks I am also using a USB RTL815X based 10/100/1000 LAN Ethernet adaptor, working natively, to serve as a backbone for my DANTE audio network.

Greetings Henties

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 11.06.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 11.06.03 PM.png
    139.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 11.12.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 11.12.27 PM.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 11.13.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 11.13.40 PM.png
    97.5 KB · Views: 49
I recommend the D-Link Gigabit DGE-560T, which works extremely well with Mieze's RealtekRTL8111.kext Version 2.4.2. The advantage is that this NIC operates in full promiscuous mode and is thus compatible with a Network monitor.

@Henties,

Thanks for the recommendation, have a NIC that runs in promiscuous mode would be useful as sometimes I need to debug some of my clients networks using a packet sniffer. I'll put the DGE-560T it on my short list.

Cheers
Jay

I am using this NIC on all 6 of my hacks even though on four of my rigs the onboard NIC's are working well but without "Wake for network access" functionality.
@Henties regarding this issue, which we have spoken about on another forum, have you tried your previous fix from a few years ago? Given the previous situation a kext development issue seems unlikely.

@jpz4085 What a surprise to also find you on this board and in particular that you were able dig up this WOL topic dating back so many years, a topic I have myself completely forgotten about that it actually exists on this forum.

I have already regenerated the network location on Monterey a number of times but this time around without the success that I achieved during 2018.

I am shocked to learn how many hours in total I have already spent in trying to resolve this WOL issue and now finally consider calling it a day. Using the free PCIe 16 lane slot is not really the end of the world because the AMD RX580 DGPU I am using in my Skylake hack hardly suffers any performance loss when it only operates with 8 lanes instead of 16.

As a last test I will flush the ARP cache and see if that changes anything to the better, if not back to the good and faithful DGE-560T.

Greetings Henties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back