Contribute
Register

[WORKING] Maximus V Extreme + Nvidia GTX 680 (ML 10.8.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac
CPU
i7 7700k
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
First off let me say it took me 3 days of constant trial-and-error to get this right. Luckily, if you happen to have the same components as I do, it should take you under an hour.

I'll start off by mentioning that the unibeast version on this site never worked for me, and since they do not support older versions here, I had to look elsewhere to find an older version of unibeast that successfully loaded ML into a usb drive. I believe it was version 1.5.2 which worked for me. The OS X version I loaded into my USB drive was 10.8.

Alright, so once you've got your usb stick ready, and done the proper BIOS configurations, make sure you plug it into a USB 2 port, otherwise it'll just hang on the loading screen. Also, I used the Nvidia card ports to plug in my monitor, since after several installs, I realized it's supported and works automatically (proper resolution and everything). At first, nothing was working for me so I even turned all the PCI ports off and used onboard video, but I never got the resolution to work properly on that. After a while something caused me to switch to the Nvidia card and everything worked.

Ok now, boot up and you should go straight into the bootloader menu. Proceed with the install and restart. Theoretically by now, the resolution of the screen should be automatically adjusted (if it wasn't before). Now, here comes the tricky part: after perhaps 20 reinstalls, I realized that with this setup, you cannot go for the "User DSDT or DSDT-Free" multibeast installation method. That will break the install and the system will not boot afterwards. Now me personally, I figured the best way to do it is to simply boot from the USB, since you get the bootloader menu and you can even get to pick your OS without having to change stuff in the BIOS. However, if you wish to boot straight into the OS, you should go with the "EasyBeast" method. This method won't break anything, but, once you reboot it will hang on a white screen once again. The way around this is to boot on "GraphicsEnabler=No". Then, as soon as the OS loads, fire up multibeast and install that under the Customization>Boot Options menu. This way, you won't have to type it in manually each time you boot.

Alright so, this far, everything should be up and running. Now onto updating...

Open up "Software Update". Now simply install the updates - these should include iTunes 11 and OS X 10.8.2. Restart. BAM! Everything still works fine... Now, fire up multibeast once again and install the audio drivers. For this board it's ALC898 under "Without DSDT". Now reboot.

Hopefully, everything went smooth. Now there are a couple of things to consider! You will lose all usb 3 ports. This is quite ****. Also, the system won't wake after sleep (as many have mentioned before, this is a common problem on most installs). You may kind of fix this by preventing the computer from sleeping but allowing the display to do so. This way, the display will turn off but the system won't. Crappy fix but whatever.

That's all I got for you guys. One last piece of advice, if you feel like messing around with kext files and multibeast to see if you can get more stuff to work, make sure you make a bakup on timemachine once you get the system up an running, this way, if you break anything, you can simply boot from usb and install OS X on your drive from your timemachine backup and get right back to where you left off without having to go through the whole process once again. Plus, the install is way quicker if you're restoring from timemachine than if you're installing from scratch.

Alright, I hope this helps anyone who is considering this motherboard/video card for an option. Make sure you post any fixes/improvements in case you find anything. Thanx!

UPDATE: Managed to get the USB 3 ports to work with Multibeast 4.6.1!! Install USB 3.0 - NEC/Renesas and Etron driver.

I was wondering if there is any update on this setup since I am considering nearly the exact same configuration (i.e. Maximus V Extreme and GTX680)? Is there a list of working and non-working components?

It appears from your instructions that you have the RealTek ALC898 audio chip working and also the Z77 chipset components (not sure about thunderbolt).

Do all of your USB 3 ports function? More specifically, the ones attached to the ASMedia USB 3 Controller? Are those the USB 3 ports you were referring to loosing previously with the install of the audio driver? In other words, do all 4 of your USB 3 (Blue) ports work on the motherboard back panel?

In addition to USB, are all of your SATA III ports working as well? More specifically the ones on the ASMedia 6GB/s SATA Controller (i.e. the 4 red ports, labeled as 17 in manual, closest to the subzero sense connector and the bios switch button)?

Does the thunderbolt port work for both video and data?

I will assume that the Intel LAN port is also functioning since you didn't mention that?

But I will also assume that the blutooth/wireless card do not work. Is that correct?

Thank you!

I was wondering if there is any update on this setup since I am considering nearly the exact same configuration (i.e. Maximus V Extreme and GTX680)? Is there a list of working and non-working components?

It appears from your instructions that you have the RealTek ALC898 audio chip working and also the Z77 chipset components (not sure about thunderbolt).

Do all of your USB 3 ports function? More specifically, the ones attached to the ASMedia USB 3 Controller? Are those the USB 3 ports you were referring to loosing previously with the install of the audio driver? In other words, do all 4 of your USB 3 (Blue) ports work on the motherboard back panel?

In addition to USB, are all of your SATA III ports working as well? More specifically the ones on the ASMedia 6GB/s SATA Controller (i.e. the 4 red ports, labeled as 17 in manual, closest to the subzero sense connector and the bios switch button)?

Does the thunderbolt port work for both video and data?

I will assume that the Intel LAN port is also functioning since you didn't mention that?

But I will also assume that the blutooth/wireless card do not work. Is that correct?

Thank you!

Hello good Sir.

I did manage to get all usb 3 ports to work (refer to my previous post for details). SATA III ports work as well; all of them.

I did not make a list of working and non-working componentes because I didn't think it was necessary. Everything works except the wireless/bluetooth card and the thunderbolt port.

You should be warned that getting the usb3 ports to work could be quite difficult. I tried it twice and had no luck on the second go. Luckily I saved a previous version of the os when I had the ports working. If worst comes to worst, I'd be willing to share my working backup through a t*****t file or similar.

Have a good one.

Last edited by a moderator:
derelikt!
thanks for all the tips.
I have exactly the same mobo and GPU.
i tried installation with 1.7, 1.6 versions, and now i'm going with the 1.5.
first strange thing is that i don't get the customization options within the installer. do you? or is that normal?

i managed to install the os with every versions, go until the desktop, but was unable to boot for the second time
because of a kernel panic. i did try injecting graphicsenabler=no at the first boot using multibeast, and i install easybeast too, but nothing helps.
i cannot boot into the OS for a second time. other than the GPU and MB i have i7 3770k and 32GB ram installed, and for the moment only one samsung ssd plugged in.
i have very good memories of hackintosh, as I have my older i5 turned into one, and never had any problems.
now i'm kind of desperate to make one from this new machine, as it would deserve it :)

so basically i only have one question: do you see customization options drop-down list at install? because for now this is the only thing that i'm not sure it looks the same for both of us.

an edit:
now, with 1.5.2 i can manage to boot back to the os for the second time, if the USB is plugged.
but if i install easybeast and graphicsenabler, i get the same kernel panic.
thinking of just simply having the stick at the back of the machine all the time as a simple result.

Hello,

I am looking for this configuration but I need thunderbolt to work properly with a external RAID system.

Have you figured out how to make it work?

some good news for maximus v extreme owners:

with 10.8.3 install USB 3s work natively for me.
still don't know about TB, as I'm still waiting for a hardware with TB

Just curious as to whether you ever got the Thunderbolt ports working on this? I'm considering a build and TB will be important to me.

Thanks!

it works.
just hot swap won't work, so you have to plug the device while the machine is off and then turn the machine on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back