Contribute
Register

Working installation stalls on Apple Logo when I add Ethernet driver (AppleIntelE1000e)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth X79
CPU
E5-2680 v2
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello community, and thanks for the ongoing assistance both direct and indirect.

I am working through my first build, very methodically at this point after my initial week of frustration.

At this point I have a successful Yosemite boot up on my system, though with no supporting drivers installed, as well as working Backup copy on an identical drive, so I can clone back to where I was in the event I break something (which seems quite common!) and a separate Recovery boot up from which I clone the Backup back to the main when things go wrong.

I am working through drivers one at a time to insure the system works at each juncture before continuing on.

You can read details of my installation in this prior post. (Start about 1/3 way down the first post at "The install process that works."

Today I am working on Ethernet drivers.

I have installed every version of AppleIntelE1000e from the latest Multibeast installer (v3.1.0, v3.0.4.1a, v2.5.4d, v2.4.14) and in each instance when I reboot the startup hangs where it has previously, with the progress bar under the Apple logo grinding to a halt at about 50%.

After each unsuccessful installation I have cloned my working backup partition back to the main one (using SuperDuper, erase and clone) followed by the Chimera install, and assured that this installation is working before proceeding.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions of what to try next.

Hey there, I had this same problem too.

With the help of Adrian B I managed to get it sorted, when you boot try booting with the flags -v -f

This should disable the Kernel cache for the boot, if that works let me know and I'll point you in the right direction for booting without any flags.

Hey there, I had this same problem too.

With the help of Adrian B I managed to get it sorted, when you boot try booting with the flags -v -f

This should disable the Kernel cache for the boot, if that works let me know and I'll point you in the right direction for booting without any flags.

Thanks so much, Miles, that worked!

I have installed AppleIntelE1000e v3.1.0 and successfully booted in using flags -v -f as you suggested.

Please let me know next steps when you can and again, thanks so much for the assistance!!

[Bump]

Can anyone advise next steps on this?

Specifically what the correct configuration of my system should be so it does not stall during startup with the Ethernet driver installed?

I could add the flags -v -f to my boot.plist, but would like to hear from someone who knows if this is a correct or advisable solution, as I am still quite new at this.

Thanks in advance!

[Bump]

Again it would be great to get some help here.

Miles started to point me in the right direction, but Miles seems to have moved on and I just discovered I am too new to PM to get his attention.

This is my first time doing this and the process does not seem like a person should just be poking around in the dark. I have done a lot of searching but have not found anyone with my exact hardware configuration installing Yosemite (and I cannot access Mavericks through the App Store) so I am a bit stuck.

In summary, after Ethernet driver install my OSX boot hangs unless I boot with the flags -v -f. More details upthread.

Thanks in advance.

You can edit the boot.plist in the Extra folder on the root of the drive to just set KernelCache to No permanently. This should solve the issue.

Thanks, Gordo, I made the change and yes that did solve it.

You have my gratitude. This may seem simple to veterans but it's all new to me. Still haven't found details on boot flag -f in the wiki, but I gather that is what it does.

Anyhow, onward. And much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back