Contribute
Register

Working: Gigabyte GC-Thunderbolt 2 on Skylake (mostly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Acden I use the adapter with a GC-ALPINE RIDGE card. It works fine with a thunderbolt display. I am assuming it will work fine with controllers that are embedded on the motherboard.

Hi @carlossless — I have a similar setup to you, with a Gigabyte mobo (GA-Z270X-UD5) and an Apple Thunderbolt Display. With the Apple TB3-to-3 adapter, all the ports/features on the display (speakers, webcam, USB/Firewire/Ethernet) worked in OS X 10.12.6. However, the system had some stability issues (random reboots) that I think may be related to the iGPU.

But today, I bought the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt PCI card, and moved from using the built-in TB3 port with iGPU to powering my display from my Nvidia GTX 1060 via its mini-Displayport output into the Alpine Ridge card. The video works (and is now dGPU-accelerated, hooray!), but the Thunderbolt data doesn't seem to work. No USB, Firewire, Ethernet, etc. Do these features work on your setup?

@auwri Yeah they do, but with almost no stability. For instance: I boot into windows, reboot into mac - all my peripherals attached to the db display except for the daisy-chained thunderbolt drive do work. If I reboot and boot up macOS directly all of these devices won't be recognised.

I still haven't figured out what to do to fix it, but I suspect it would have to do with either adjusting the thunderbolt kext or the dsdt.

@auwri Yeah they do, but with almost no stability. For instance: I boot into windows, reboot into mac - all my peripherals attached to the db display except for the daisy-chained thunderbolt drive do work. If I reboot and boot up macOS directly all of these devices won't be recognised.

I still haven't figured out what to do to fix it, but I suspect it would have to do with either adjusting the thunderbolt kext or the dsdt.

Bizarre. Thanks for the info. Do you see any relevant error output in the logs upon booting into OS X directly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back