Contribute
Register

Working: Gigabyte GC-Thunderbolt 2 on Skylake (mostly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@flux-capacitor I managed to order the GC-ALPINE RIDGE and the same apple adapter in order to maybe get better compatibility with Max OS X. Will post details when it arrives and I install it.

Yeah, where did you find it?
I have a GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 system and want to get one to drive the new LG UltraFine 5k Display.
I want to upgrade my 1440p screen to retina.

Last edited:
I have the Gigabyte Gaming 6 motherboard with the GC-Thunderbolt 2 card in and I can't get it to show properly. I have F21 bios and Gigabyte Support said the hardware team said it would work, but I can only get it to show up without the card connected to the header. We'll see what Gigabyte replies back

Gigabyte has indeed given the possibility to activate Thunderbolt 3 (backward compatible with Thunderbolt 1 & 2 over the mini-DP form-factor port with an adapter such as this new one from Apple) for all its motherboards having an Alpine Ridge controller and a USB-C port, including your GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5.

What do you think, if this link (Alpine Ridge GA-motherboard + apple TB3->TB1/2 adapter) will work to show picture on Apple Thunderbolt Display?

@Acden I use the adapter with a GC-ALPINE RIDGE card. It works fine with a thunderbolt display. I am assuming it will work fine with controllers that are embedded on the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back