Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Asus Z370 Prime P + i7 8700 + Samsung 1TB 960 EVO NVMe + Nvidia GTX 1050

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
Ryzen 5900X
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
z370primep-macos-b.png

z320primep-blackmagic.png z370primep-cpu-b.png

z370primep-opencl-b.png

This is a guide for installing OSX Sierra 10.13.4 onto the Asus Z370 Prime A boot using a Samsung 1TB 960 EVO PCIE NVME and a Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti card. If you don't have a NVME card or a Nvidia card this guide can still work for you - simply bypass those steps.

P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.jpg

COMPONENTS

• Asus Z370 Prime P board
  • 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM
  • Intel Core i7 8700 3.2GHz Chip
  • GTX 1050 Ti Graphics
  • Samsung 1TB 960 EVO PCIE NVMe
  • ADATA SP900 256GB SSD
  • 750W Coffee Lake-compatible Cooling Fan
  • Coolermaster PC Case
Other tools needed
  • 2 x 16GB USB Keys (for Unibeast & Windows 10)
  • Spare Hackintosh/Mac (for editing if necessary)
  • USB 3.0 external slot drive (for copying/editing files and data)
  • Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner (for cloning drives)
  • WindowsToUSB software
  • Windows 10 installation on spare SSD/HD or NVMe drive (optional)
  • Clover Configurator Vibrant Version

What works

NVMe detection and bootup
Nvidia Web Graphics Driver
USB 3.1, 3.0 & 2.0 (hot-plugging and eject on USB 3.1 works)
Full sound with volume adjustment
Full screen 1040P
Video playback
iTunes
Ethernet

What doesn't

None

SETUP

1) Download the latest Unibeast and Multibeast for Sierra from Tonymacx86.
Connect system via Intel HDMI port to monitor.

2) Make a bootable Unibeast USB Key and install High Sierra 10.13.4 following the site's guide. To simplify the installation I used an ADATA 256GB SSD to perform the install before later cloning it to the NVMe via Superduper. I would advise to start using 10.13.1 if you can find it to create the Unibeast key, as this would avoid the problems associated with 10.13.2 where certain devices does not appear in the Clover menu selection. While the first part of the High Sierra installs using a 10.13.1 key, the installer does connect online to Apple's servers and does indeed retrieve the download for 10.13.4 via the ethernet port for the remainder. Installing the OS this way bypasses a lot of the issues surrounding updating from combo updates.

3A) Hold DEL to go into Boot. Update the ASUS BIOS firmware to latest 0612 by saving BIOS to USB stick and running EZFlash within the Asus BIOS menu
> https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-P/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Set in BIOS:

Advanced Settings > CPU Configuration > Intel Virtualisation Technology > Enabled
Advanced Settings > Onboard Devices Configuration > M.2_1 Configuration > Auto
Advanced Settings > Onboard Devices Configuration > Serial Port Configuration > Serial Port > Off
Advanced Settings > CPU Configurations > VT-d > Disabled
Advanced Settings > USB Configuration > Legacy Support > Auto
Advanced Settings > USB Configuration > USB Mouse and Keyboard Simulator - Disabled
Advanced Settings > Boot > Secure Boot - Secure boot state disabled (How to Disable or Enable Secure Boot for ASUS Motherboard)
OS Type=Other OS
Advanced Settings > Boot > CSM Compatibility Support Module > Launch CSM - Enable
Advanced Settings > Boot > CSM Compatibility Support Module > Boot Device Control - UEFI and Legacy OPROM
Advanced Settings > Boot > CSM Compatibility Support Module > Boot from Storage Devices - UEFI
Advanced Settings > Boot > Above 4G Decoding > Enabled
(This is crucial to getting past the plus signs on boot up)

Advanced Settings > System Agent (SA) Configuration > Graphics > Primary Display > Auto
(Auto setting should work in most situations until first set of Nvidia alternate drivers is installed where you should then use PEG).

4) Install Windows 10 on USB stick using WindowsToUSB. Boot with the stick into Windows to format the NVMe as exFAT format.

5) Boot into High Sierra using Verbose. Run Disk Utility and format the ADATA drive as Macintosh SSD using Macintosh Journaled format. Run Terminal and type:

Code:
/Volumes/Image\  Volume/No-Convert

before rebooting again to install High Sierra onto the ADATA using HFS instead of APFS.
Reboot into the system after installation. If the boot up fails, use your Unibeast installer stick to boot into Clover, then select the ADATA drive to continue the installation. Reboot again after it finishes.

6) Install and run Multibeast with the following settings:

UEFI Boot Mode
FakeSMC
RealtekEthernet
Intel HD (6xx) Graphics (if using Intel HD Graphics instead of Nvidia)
USB Increase Port Limit 200 Series
Clover v2.4K r4334 UEFI Boot Mode
iMac 18,3 Definition

7) Reboot the system. If the boot up fails, use your Unibeast installer stick to boot into Clover, then select the ADATA drive to continue the installation.

If setting up the Nvidia card, proceed below (do not reboot).
Otherwise reboot for Intel graphics setup.

Intel Card Setup

1) After reboot, set card to IGFX in Bios under Advanced Settings > System Agent (SA) Configuration > Graphics > Primary Display > IGFX

2) Boot into OSX ie. Verbose

3) Set and mount boot drive EFI folder using Clover Configurator:

ACPI >
Comment: change _OSI to XOSI
Find: 5F4F5349
Replace: 584F5349

Comment: change _DSM to XDSM
Find: 5F44534D
Replace: 5844534D

Comment: change XHCI to XHC
Find: 58484349
Replace: 5848435F

Comment: change XHC1 to XHC
Find: 58484331

Comment: change EC0 to EC
Find: 4543305F
Replace: 45435F5F

Under List of patches, add:
change EHC1 to EH01
change EHC2 to EH02
change HECI to IMEI
change HDAS to HDEF

ACPI > SSDT > Generate > PluginType=true
Boot > darkwake=0, dart=0
CPU > Frequency Mhz > 3200
Devices > Fake ID > 0x0 (fill this in all fields except IntelGFX)
Devices > Fake ID > IntelGFX > 0x59128086
Devices > Add Properties > Key - AAPL,GfxYTile
Devices > Add Properties > Value - 00AAAAA00
Devices > Add Properties > Value Type - Data
Devices > Audio > 1
Graphics > Inject Intel & add ig-platform-id 0x5912000
Kernel and Kext Patches > KextsToPatch > List of Patches > Enable TRIM for SSD
RT Variables > Change CSRActiveConfig to 0x67 and BooterConfig to 0x28. Make sure you have a ROM value. If not generate it.
SMBIOS > Add serial number (use An iDiot’s Guide to iMessage)
System Parameters > Check Inject System ID. Also add system UUID.
Drivers > Add Emuvariableuefi
NVRAM > Check NVRAM emulation and select Boot Volume
Kernel and Kext Patches >

4) Install latest Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext using Clover Configurator.

5) Reboot.

6) Set IGFX as primary display in BIOS.

Nvidia (Pascal) Card Setup

Setup for Pascal cards in Sierra 10.13.4 is rather tricky. Because it is a fairly lengthy process it is advised you leave your PC case open with the SSD drive accessible in case you need to remove it and modify the EFI folder of the boot drive on another computer using the external USB slot drive.

1) Advanced Settings > System Agent (SA) Configuration > Graphics > Primary Display > PEG

2) Set and mount boot drive EFI folder using Clover Configurator:

ACPI >

change EHC1 to EH01
change EHC2 to EH02
change HECI to IMEI
change HDAS to HDEF

Boot > darkwake=0, dart=0,
CPU > 3200
Devices > Add Properties > Device - IntelIGFX
Devices > Audio > 1
Graphics > Inject Intel & add ig-platform-id 0x5912000 (if you have difficult booting, remove after installing Nvidia driver. Also make sure all fields are unchecked under Graphics once first set of Nvidia drivers are installed)
RT Variables > Change CSRActiveConfig to 0x67 and BooterConfig to 0x28. Make sure you have a ROM value. If not generate it.
System Parameters > Check Nvidiaweb and Inject System ID. Also add system UUID.

Make sure /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.13 folder has the following all updated to latest versions:

AppleALC.kext
CodecCommander.kext
FakeSMC.kext
Lilu.kext
NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
Shiki.kext
XHCI-200-series-injector.kext

Install procedure:

1) After installing Sierra and/or Clover and Multibeast onto the boot drive, with the Nvidia card removed boot using Unibeast 10.13.1 stick into your drive using the following arguments > Verbose using Intel HDMI port. You should be able to boot into Sierra and then install the Nvidia alternate drivers (WebDriver-378.10.10.10.103) and the latest Lilu.kext, Nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext and Intelgraphicsfixup.kext into /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.13 using Kext Beast or Kext Utility. Also install clover v.2.4_ r4318, and under select Customize and select to install the EmuVariableUefi-64 to the boot drive. After the installs, shut down the system, and physically install the Nvidia card with power cable.

2) Boot using Nvidia card on HDMI port on your drive. If necessary boot using PEG option in BIOS. Using normal boot option it should boot straight into the system. If it doesn't, select Verbose, dart=0 and darkwake=0.

3) Boot into OSX and update OSX to the next update and install corresponding Nvidia alternate driver update. Install Nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext into /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.13. Select Nvidia to boot with Web Driver in the taskbar. Restart system.

4) Install Nvidia CUDA drivers. Make sure SIPs is disabled. When it is all done, simply select your drive at Clover bootup (which should only have darkwake=0 and dart=0) and it should boot straight in without any issues. If you have installed the latest Nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext and shiki.kext into /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.13 add ngfxcompat=1 shikigva=60 with Clover Configurator as boot arguments in config.plist to enable hardware encoding/decoding.

Audio Setup

To setup audio on the Asus board which uses a Realtek ALC887, you need to download Toleda's CloverALC master audio package and add Rehabman's CodecCommander.kext into /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.13. Unzip it and install using KextBeast or Kext Utility. After making sure that config.plist also has the required HDAS to HDEF patch, double-click Toleda's audio_cloverALC-130_v0.5.command script and confirm password in Terminal to install the driver. Select Y on all the prompts that follow afterwards to finish installing the driver and reboot.

samsungevo960.jpg

NVME Setup

As the Samsung NVMe is detected natively with Coffee Lake in High Sierra, there is no real requirement to add any NVMe drivers. So all that is required is to format the drive as HFS+J (Mac Journaled) format in Disk Utility and to copy the ADATA disk using either Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner, reboot then select the NVMe drive to boot up in BIOS and you're done![/code]

Last edited:
If anyone uses cards other than Pascal on this setup such as Maxwell please let me know and I will add it to this guide.

I have an "asus z370f gaming" with a nvidia 1080, and I'm having kernel panic when I shutdown, maybe you can help me...
Can you please explain me what are the general effects of activating the above 4g threshold ? (Mine is disabled)
I have enabled the shtudown fix in clover configuration > acpi but it didn't help.
Basically, my hackintosh cannot sleep, reboot, or shutdown without a kernel panic...
I haven't switch off the serial port though... (Couldn't find the option before)

Thank you for your support !

I have an "asus z370f gaming" with a nvidia 1080, and I'm having kernel panic when I shutdown, maybe you can help me...
Can you please explain me what are the general effects of activating the above 4g threshold ? (Mine is disabled)
I have enabled the shtudown fix in clover configuration > acpi but it didn't help.
Basically, my hackintosh cannot sleep, reboot, or shutdown without a kernel panic...
I haven't switch off the serial port though... (Couldn't find the option before)

Thank you for your support !

Hi iv-lite,

This could be related to you needing a SSDT.aml file for your board, if you don't have one you'll need to create one. Check the forums for this.

For the settings I've found that enabling the Above 4G Threshold seems to have improved graphics card memory management and reduced the number of KPs in my setups. I have two boards (Asus Prime Z270A and Prime Z370P) which have both had it enabled for Sierra and High Sierra - without them it didn't quite work. To stop the shutdown panics, make sure your kexts for Nvidiagraphicfixup and Lilu.kext are the latest versions or builds. Also install Shiki.kext if you have it. To use shiki you need to add shikigva=80 in your boot argument settings. Also enable emuvariableuefi-64 and enable store the nvram data to your EFI partition.

As for the serial port setting you may have to dig a little deeper in the BIOS settings. Also make sure it is updated to the latest version. Hope that helps.

To simplify the installation I used an ADATA 256GB SSD to perform the install before later cloning it to the NVMe via Superduper.

As the Samsung NVMe is detected natively with Coffee Lake in High Sierra, there is no real requirement to add any NVMe drivers. So all that is required is to format the drive as HFS+J (Mac Journaled) format in Disk Utility and to copy the ADATA disk using either Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner, reboot then select the NVMe drive to boot up in BIOS and you're done!

Maybe a stupid question, but isn't it possible and more convenient to directly do the installation on the NVMe when it's supported by High Sierra? Or are there still issues with that approach? Or with this particular NVMe? Installing macOS with the HFS+J is (still) preferred compared to the new APFS file system?

I'm a noob but trying to understand in order to get myself ready for my first CustoMac build. I have a gaming pc and want to add a second 960 evo for MacOS (dual boot). Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Maybe a stupid question, but isn't it possible and more convenient to directly do the installation on the NVMe when it's supported by High Sierra? Or are there still issues with that approach? Or with this particular NVMe? Installing macOS with the HFS+J is (still) preferred compared to the new APFS file system?

I'm a noob but trying to understand in order to get myself ready for my first CustoMac build. I have a gaming pc and want to add a second 960 evo for MacOS (dual boot). Thanks in advance.

As far as I am aware, yes the direct approach should work, but only with this particular Samsung NVMe (afaik). Ones made by Intel for instance may still need a particular driver like it did with Sierra. However for 10.13.4 you still need to attach a drive to the SATA port 2 for the system to recognise the NVMe during the installation stage, otherwise it won't see it.

As for the APFS file system, I decided to go with HFS+J because of historical reasons that it works why change it, but also to ensure that I am able to recover my system with my backup software should anything happen. As it stands APFS is still quite new and I'm not quite sure what its effects are long term.

View attachment 323486

View attachment 323477 View attachment 323532

View attachment 323533

This is a guide for installing OSX Sierra 10.13.4 onto the Asus Z370 Prime A boot using a Samsung 1TB 960 EVO PCIE NVME and a Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti card. If you don't have a NVME card or a Nvidia card this guide can still work for you - simply bypass those steps.

View attachment 323499

COMPONENTS

• Asus Z370 Prime P board
  • 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM
  • Intel Core i7 8700 3.2GHz Chip
  • GTX 1050 Ti Graphics
  • Samsung 1TB 960 EVO PCIE NVMe
  • ADATA SP900 256GB SSD
  • 750W Coffee Lake-compatible Cooling Fan
  • Coolermaster PC Case
Other tools needed
  • 2 x 16GB USB Keys (for Unibeast & Windows 10)
  • Spare Hackintosh/Mac (for editing if necessary)
  • USB 3.0 external slot drive (for copying/editing files and data)
  • Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner (for cloning drives)
  • WindowsToUSB software
  • Windows 10 installation on spare SSD/HD or NVMe drive (optional)
  • Clover Configurator Vibrant Version

What works

NVMe detection and bootup
Nvidia Web Graphics Driver
USB 3.1, 3.0 & 2.0 (hot-plugging and eject on USB 3.1 works)
Full sound with volume adjustment
Full screen 1040P
Video playback
iTunes
Ethernet

What doesn't

None

SETUP

1) Download the latest Unibeast and Multibeast for Sierra from Tonymacx86.
Connect system via Intel HDMI port to monitor.

2) Make a bootable Unibeast USB Key and install High Sierra 10.13.4 following the site's guide. To simplify the installation I used an ADATA 256GB SSD to perform the install before later cloning it to the NVMe via Superduper. I would advise to start using 10.13.1 if you can find it to create the Unibeast key, as this would avoid the problems associated with 10.13.2 where certain devices does not appear in the Clover menu selection. While the first part of the High Sierra installs using a 10.13.1 key, the installer does connect online to Apple's servers and does indeed retrieve the download for 10.13.4 via the ethernet port for the remainder. Installing the OS this way bypasses a lot of the issues surrounding updating from combo updates.

3A) Hold DEL to go into Boot. Update the ASUS BIOS firmware to latest 0612 by saving BIOS to USB stick and running EZFlash within the Asus BIOS menu
> https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-P/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Set in BIOS:

Advanced Settings > CPU Configuration > Intel Virtualisation Technology > Enabled
Advanced Settings > Onboard Devices Configuration > M.2_1 Configuration > Auto
Advanced Settings > Onboard Devices Configuration > Serial Port Configuration > Serial Port > Off
Advanced Settings > CPU Configurations > VT-d > Disabled
Advanced Settings > USB Configuration > Legacy Support > Auto
Advanced Settings > USB Configuration > USB Mouse and Keyboard Simulator - Disabled
Advanced Settings > Boot > Secure Boot - Secure boot state disabled (How to Disable or Enable Secure Boot for ASUS Motherboard)
OS Type=Other OS
Advanced Settings > Boot > CSM Compatibility Support Module > Launch CSM - Enable
Advanced Settings > Boot > CSM Compatibility Support Module > Boot Device Control - UEFI and Legacy OPROM
Advanced Settings > Boot > CSM Compatibility Support Module > Boot from Storage Devices - UEFI
Advanced Settings > Boot > Above 4G Decoding > Enabled
(This is crucial to getting past the plus signs on boot up)

Advanced Settings > System Agent (SA) Configuration > Graphics > Primary Display > Auto
(Auto setting should work in most situations until first set of Nvidia alternate drivers is installed where you should then use PEG).

4) Install Windows 10 on USB stick using WindowsToUSB. Boot with the stick into Windows to format the NVMe as exFAT format.

5) Boot into High Sierra using Verbose. Run Disk Utility and format the ADATA drive as Macintosh SSD using Macintosh Journaled format. Run Terminal and type:

Code:
/Volumes/Image\  Volume/No-Convert

before rebooting again to install High Sierra onto the ADATA using HFS instead of APFS.
Reboot into the system after installation. If the boot up fails, use your Unibeast installer stick to boot into Clover, then select the ADATA drive to continue the installation. Reboot again after it finishes.

6) Install and run Multibeast with the following settings:

UEFI Boot Mode
FakeSMC
RealtekEthernet
Intel HD (6xx) Graphics (if using Intel HD Graphics instead of Nvidia)
USB Increase Port Limit 200 Series
Clover v2.4K r4334 UEFI Boot Mode
iMac 18,3 Definition

7) Reboot the system. If the boot up fails, use your Unibeast installer stick to boot into Clover, then select the ADATA drive to continue the installation.

If setting up the Nvidia card, proceed below (do not reboot).
Otherwise reboot for Intel graphics setup.

Intel Card Setup

1) After reboot, set card to IGFX in Bios under Advanced Settings > System Agent (SA) Configuration > Graphics > Primary Display > IGFX

2) Boot into OSX ie. Verbose

3) Set and mount boot drive EFI folder using Clover Configurator:

ACPI >

change EHC1 to EH01
change EHC2 to EH02
change HECI to IMEI
change HDAS to HDEF

Boot > darkwake=0, dart=0
Devices > Audio > 1
Graphics > Inject Intel & add ig-platform-id 0x5912000
System Parameters > Check Inject System ID. Also add system UUID.
Kernel and Kext Patches >

4) Install latest Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext using Clover Configurator.

5) Reboot.

6) Set IGFX as primary display in BIOS.

Nvidia (Pascal) Card Setup

Setup for Pascal cards in Sierra 10.13.4 is rather tricky. Because it is a fairly lengthy process it is advised you leave your PC case open with the SSD drive accessible in case you need to remove it and modify the EFI folder of the boot drive on another computer using the external USB slot drive.

1) Advanced Settings > System Agent (SA) Configuration > Graphics > Primary Display > PEG

2) Set and mount boot drive EFI folder using Clover Configurator:

ACPI >

change EHC1 to EH01
change EHC2 to EH02
change HECI to IMEI
change HDAS to HDEF

Boot > darkwake=0, dart=0,
CPU > 3200
Devices > Add Properties > Device - IntelIGFX
Devices > Audio > 1
Graphics > Inject Intel & add ig-platform-id 0x5912000 (if you have difficult booting, remove after installing Nvidia driver. Also make sure all fields are unchecked under Graphics once first set of Nvidia drivers are installed)
System Parameters > Check Nvidiaweb and Inject System ID. Also add system UUID.

Make sure /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.13 folder has the following all updated to latest versions:

AppleALC.kext
CodecCommander.kext
FakeSMC.kext
Lilu.kext
NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
Shiki.kext
XHCI-200-series-injector.kext

Install procedure:

1) After installing Sierra and/or Clover and Multibeast onto the boot drive, with the Nvidia card removed boot using Unibeast 10.13.1 stick into your drive using the following arguments > Verbose using Intel HDMI port. You should be able to boot into Sierra and then install the Nvidia alternate drivers (WebDriver-378.10.10.10.103) and the latest Lilu.kext, Nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext and Intelgraphicsfixup.kext into /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.13 using Kext Beast or Kext Utility. Also install clover v.2.4_ r4318, and under select Customize and select to install the EmuVariableUefi-64 to the boot drive. After the installs, shut down the system, and physically install the Nvidia card with power cable.

2) Boot using Nvidia card on HDMI port on your drive. If necessary boot using PEG option in BIOS. Using normal boot option it should boot straight into the system. If it doesn't, select Verbose, dart=0 and darkwake=0.

3) Boot into OSX and update OSX to the next update and install corresponding Nvidia alternate driver update. Install Nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext into /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.13. Select Nvidia to boot with Web Driver in the taskbar. Restart system.

4) Install Nvidia CUDA drivers. Make sure SIPs is disabled. When it is all done, simply select your drive at Clover bootup (which should only have darkwake=0 and dart=0) and it should boot straight in without any issues. If you have installed the latest Nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext and shiki.kext into /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.13 add ngfxcompat=1 shikigva=60 with Clover Configurator as boot arguments in config.plist to enable hardware encoding/decoding.

Audio Setup

To setup audio on the Asus board which uses a Realtek ALC887, you need to download Toleda's CloverALC master audio package and add Rehabman's CodecCommander.kext into /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.13. Unzip it and install using KextBeast or Kext Utility. After making sure that config.plist also has the required HDAS to HDEF patch, double-click Toleda's audio_cloverALC-130_v0.5.command script and confirm password in Terminal to install the driver. Select Y on all the prompts that follow afterwards to finish installing the driver and reboot.

View attachment 323521

NVME Setup

As the Samsung NVMe is detected natively with Coffee Lake in High Sierra, there is no real requirement to add any NVMe drivers. So all that is required is to format the drive as HFS+J (Mac Journaled) format in Disk Utility and to copy the ADATA disk using either Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner, reboot then select the NVMe drive to boot up in BIOS and you're done![/code]
Can you please provide your EFI Please ?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    18.1 MB · Views: 1,125
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back