Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170-D3H
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 980
After years of using this resource, it's time to give back to the community.
I've tried to go back to Windows so many times, for gaming, and to utilise my new GTX980 (with directx), but it feels messy, and just not a nice experience. I get screen tearing while playing CSGO, but oh well.

There were no guides for my motherboard, so i thought I'd make one. It's a good motherboard, a step up from the HD3 i believe.

Here's what i did / what i had to do, exactly:
  • Create an El Capitan USB installer with Unibeast.
Note: You can alternatively create the El Capitan USB installer via the Terminal by doing the following:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/OSXUSB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

Then right-click Unibeast > Show Package Contents > Resources > Clover_v2.3k_r3320-UEFI-UB.pkg and install to the new El Capitan USB.
  • Copy the latest USBInjectAll.kext, FakeSMC.kext, and IntelMausiEthernet.kext into the USB /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 and ..Other.
Note: If the EFI Partition is hidden, use the terminal to show it:
diskutil list
diskutil mount disk0s.. (use your disk name)

• Replace config.plist on USB with this: http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...-0-10-11-3-skylake-starter-guide-config.plist
  • Edit config.plist, and add the flag: nv_disable=1 This will allow you to get to the installation while the GTX980 is installed.
  • Insert your USB, and reboot. Hit your boot options key and select your USB. Wait a while (approximately 5 minutes) to reach the install screen.
  • Before proceeding with installation: Open DiskUtility, and create your installation partition. All standard stuff from the TonyMac Guides
  • Install El Capitan as usual.
Note: If it says OSX corrupt, change the current date to the date of your download (Right click > El Capitan app > get info) :
date MMDDHHmmYY (eg: date 1018061515)
  • Computer will reboot.
  • Hit your boot options key and select your USB. Select your hard drive from the Clover menu.
  • Follow the setup instructions.
  • Once completed, again right-click Unibeast > Show Package Contents > Resources > Clover_v2.3k_r3320-UEFI-UB.pkg and install to your hard drive.
  • From your USB, Copy USBInjectAll.kext, FakeSMC.kext, and IntelMausiEthernet.kext to your hard drive at /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 and ..Other.
  • From your USB, Copy the config.plist into EFI/Clover
Note: Again, If the EFI Partition is hidden, use the terminal to show it:
diskutil list

You now have a working, bootable installation. You can remove the USB and reboot from your hard drive.

• Update your installation via the App store.
  • Once updated, download and install the latest Nvidia Web Driver for your current OSX Version (About this mac > System Report > Software > System Version: eg (15F34) from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...river-updates-for-el-capitan-update-06062016/
  • Before you reboot, open your config.plist file and replace the flag: nv_disable=1, with: nvda_drv=1
  • This will allow the OS to use your GTX980, save the config.plist and reboot.
  • You are done.
Optional:
  • If your install does not select your hard drive automatically. While booting, at the clover screen, press space bar on your hard drive and copy down the UUID.
  • Boot into your installation.
  • Edit your config.plist file and under Default Volume, add the UUID of your hard drive.
  • You can also change the boot time from 5 to 1 to speed things up.
  • Save and reboot, now your install should automatically boot.
I hope this has helped someone.
All the best.

Kind regards,
Daniel.

After years of using this resource, it's time to give back to the community.
I've tried to go back to Windows so many times, for gaming, and to utilise my new GTX980 (with directx), but it feels messy, and just not a nice experience. I get screen tearing while playing CSGO, but oh well.

There were no guides for my motherboard, so i thought I'd make one. It's a good motherboard, a step up from the HD3 i believe.

Here's what i did / what i had to do, exactly:
  • Create an El Capitan USB installer with Unibeast.
Note: You can alternatively create the El Capitan USB installer via the Terminal by doing the following:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/OSXUSB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

Then right-click Unibeast > Show Package Contents > Resources > Clover_v2.3k_r3320-UEFI-UB.pkg and install to the new El Capitan USB.
  • Copy the latest USBInjectAll.kext, FakeSMC.kext, and IntelMausiEthernet.kext into the USB /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 and ..Other.
Note: If the EFI Partition is hidden, use the terminal to show it:
diskutil list

• Replace config.plist on USB with this: http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...-0-10-11-3-skylake-starter-guide-config.plist
  • Edit config.plist, and add the flag: nv_disable=1 This will allow you to get to the installation while the GTX980 is installed.
  • Insert your USB, and reboot. Hit your boot options key and select your USB. Wait a while (approximately 5 minutes) to reach the install screen.
  • Before proceeding with installation: Open DiskUtility, and create your installation partition. All standard stuff from the TonyMac Guides
  • Install El Capitan as usual.
Note: If it says OSX corrupt, change the current date to the date of your download (Right click > El Capitan app > get info) :
date MMDDHHmmYY (eg: date 1018061515)
  • Computer will reboot.
  • Hit your boot options key and select your USB. Select your hard drive from the Clover menu.
  • Follow the setup instructions.
  • Once completed, again right-click Unibeast > Show Package Contents > Resources > Clover_v2.3k_r3320-UEFI-UB.pkg and install to your hard drive.
  • From your USB, Copy USBInjectAll.kext, FakeSMC.kext, and IntelMausiEthernet.kext to your hard drive at /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 and ..Other.
  • From your USB, Copy the config.plist into EFI/Clover
Note: Again, If the EFI Partition is hidden, use the terminal to show it:
diskutil list

You now have a working, bootable installation. You can remove the USB and reboot from your hard drive.

• Update your installation via the App store.
  • Once updated, download and install the latest Nvidia Web Driver for your current OSX Version (About this mac > System Report > Software > System Version: eg (15F34) from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...river-updates-for-el-capitan-update-06062016/
  • Before you reboot, open your config.plist file and replace the flag: nv_disable=1, with: nvda_drv=1
  • This will allow the OS to use your GTX980, save the config.plist and reboot.
  • You are done.
Optional:
  • If your install does not select your hard drive automatically. While booting, at the clover screen, press space bar on your hard drive and copy down the UUID.
  • Boot into your installation.
  • Edit your config.plist file and under Default Volume, add the UUID of your hard drive.
  • You can also change the boot time from 5 to 1 to speed things up.
  • Save and reboot, now your install should automatically boot.
I hope this has helped someone.
All the best.

Kind regards,
Daniel.

Hey man, currently building the exact same build as you, but your link for the plist file is dead. Any chance for a reup? Thanks!

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.1 KB · Views: 235
Hello im stuck at the apple logo with the tutorial can you help me

Hello im stuck at the apple logo with the tutorial can you help me

Sometimes it is a matter of waiting, sometimes you have an error. It depends at what stage you are seeing the apple logo. In my experience there is quite a long wait when using the usb installer and you will see the apple logo and progress bar will move very slowly, maybe 2 - 5 minutes for the setup to start. However if you have an error, but can see the apple logo, you may want to try some boot flags. But first, start with the verbose flag (-v) so you can see whats going on, and where the process stops. Film it with your phone because it can move quickly. Then search google, or this forum for the solution to your particular problem where the process stops. More than likely it is a simple fix and you require a boot flag or something. Hope this helps, all the best.

Sometimes it is a matter of waiting, sometimes you have an error. It depends at what stage you are seeing the apple logo. In my experience there is quite a long wait when using the usb installer and you will see the apple logo and progress bar will move very slowly, maybe 2 - 5 minutes for the setup to start. However if you have an error, but can see the apple logo, you may want to try some boot flags. But first, start with the verbose flag (-v) so you can see whats going on, and where the process stops. Film it with your phone because it can move quickly. Then search google, or this forum for the solution to your particular problem where the process stops. More than likely it is a simple fix and you require a boot flag or something. Hope this helps, all the best.
sorry for not answering but how can i go to -v i forgot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back