Contribute
Register

Worked for weeks but now can only boot with -x PCIRootUID=1 (GA-Z87-D3HP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
OSX 10.9 Mavericks
CPU
Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core
Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[Probably Solved] Worked for weeks but now can only boot with -x PCIRootUID=1 (GA-Z87-D3HP)

MY SETUP

Processor: Intel Haswell i5-4570
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP ATX LGA1150
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
Storage: Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue 256GB 2.5" SSD (I also have a number of other 2.5" drives in the tower with various partitions)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower
PSU: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
Graphics: no discrete graphics at this point

MY PROBLEM

I set it up back in December and it has been working fine for weeks. Then the other-other day I turned it on and it wouldn’t get past the grey screen (spinning wheel with apple or the wheel would freeze). I’m not sure what I could have changed. I had issues with a program and was installing/reinstalling the program.

I tried different boot flags and I seem to be able to boot into it with (-v) -x PCIRootUID=1. For further testing, I tried creating a clean install partition on a separate drive, added in MultiBeast (DSDT free and some audio additions), but that too would only boot with those flags. Same goes for the USB stick with UniBeast and MultiBeast on it (only boot with flags).

I’ve only been able to make it work using the awesome guides here, I don’t really know what I’m doing. So I’m hoping the solution is obvious, I just don’t know how to fix this since I don’t know what caused it to happen.

Also, thinking maybe it was hardware, I tested it out with a Ubuntu install on a partition (just the Light version as I couldn’t get a real install going), and that seemed to boot fine.

I’ll post some photos soon of where the boot ends but I wanted to get this question out ASAP. Here are the top 3 lines that concern me:

Code:
SMC: smcInitHelper ERROR: MMIO regMap == NULL - fall back to old SMC mode

ACPISMCPlatformPlugin: :start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3c -- power management may be incomplete or unsupported
Please let me know what you think.

Please let me know what you think.

4:30pm: So I am attempting to create a new Unibeast USB stick and do a completely new install with a different drive (taking out the current drives), but I hit an error installing Unibeast onto the stick. Waiting for a fresh download of Mavericks to complete. Can you not install Unibeast onto USB under safe mode?

[Probably solved] Worked for weeks but now can only boot with -x PCIRootUID=1 (GA-Z87-D3HP)

So, after all the hours I wasted, I had a sneaking suspicion that for some reason it had something to do with the HDMI hookup to the monitor. Even though it worked for weeks, something made it so that it wouldn't finish the boot through HDMI I guess.

I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me why. In the meantime, with my DVI-to-HDMI cord it booted just fine with the clean install.

I'll now swap my disks and see if it works with the original drive.

Yep, that was it. Should have known something was up with the display situation when safe mode showed a very different resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back