Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Worked fine for 3 years until the morning after I replaced the CPU cooler. I am running Mavericks since setting up the machine.

There was a burning smell and I saw that the stock Intel cooler was not moving. I successfully replaced it yesterday and things worked as normal, booting it up 2 or 3 times. This morning it starts to load Mac OS but runs the timeline for about 2 minutes to its end then shuts downs.

Any ideas?

The burning smell seemed to be the cooler stopping. That is gone now after replacing the cooler. Yesterday it worked fine.
Find the source of the burning smell.

This morning it starts to load Mac OS but runs the timeline for about 2 minutes to its end then shuts downs.

Boot in verbose mode for clues as to why it is shutting down.
You may have to video the process and select the last frame before the shut down then post it here.

Your profile and sig say 'Mountain Lion' but your post says MacOS.
Mountain Lion is OS X and Sierra is macOS - Which do you mean ?

I will have to update the profile . I am running Mavericks. I guess I used the wrong term.
Thanks Pilgrim for the "verbose" tip.

Boot in verbose mode for clues as to why it is shutting down.
You may have to video the process and select the last frame before the shut down then post it here.

Your profile and sig say 'Mountain Lion' but your post says MacOS.
Mountain Lion is OS X and Sierra is macOS - Which do you mean ?

My boot drive "cannot be repaired after 3 attempts"

What do I do now.
I have backups and I have another similar machine running Mavericks.

I will have to update the profile . I am running Mavericks. I guess I used the wrong term.
Thanks Pilgrim for the "verbose" tip.

My boot drive "cannot be repaired after 3 attempts"

What do I do now.
I have backups and I have another similar machine running Mavericks.

You may be able to put the damaged drive into your 'similar machine' and attempt a repair.
If you have a Recovery partition you may be able to boot from that and attempt a repair.
If you have a USB installer flash drive you may be able to boot from that and attempt a repair.
In my experience burning smells seldom herald good news.
You could try a fresh install onto a new disk and then restore your backup.

Pilgrim,
Thank you for listing the options.
Do HD's give off a smell when they die?

I tried to do a repair on my similar machine Verify Disk & Repair Disk "Can't be repaired"
I put the disk back in the original box and the same fail to launch.

You may be able to put the damaged drive into your 'similar machine' and attempt a repair.
If you have a Recovery partition you may be able to boot from that and attempt a repair.
If you have a USB installer flash drive you may be able to boot from that and attempt a repair.
In my experience burning smells seldom herald good news.
You could try a fresh install onto a new disk and then restore your backup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back