Contribute
Register

[Work In Progress] Lenovo Z580 ML Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the thought but I already tried CD and no dice. It won't recognize it. This is strange, I'm pretty sure I have the same z580 as you guys (i5 processor and 4000 graphics). o_O

So everyone else uses USB to get kexts onto safe mode correct?

So everyone else uses USB to get kexts onto safe mode correct?

Well, I always do things a little differently. I use a working Mac/Hack to set everything up. I removed the hard drive from the Z580 and attached it to the other Hack using a USB adapter. I purchased and downloaded ML and set up Unibeast. Ran Unibeast and installed to the laptop/USB drive. Booted the Hack and worked from there to install the kexts and other files to the laptop/USB drive. Then reinstalled the laptop drive into the Z580. Set BIOS to legacy. It booted right up.

So, I installed using Unibeast, but all of my other work was done booted from another Hack.

Well, I always do things a little differently. I use a working Mac/Hack to set everything up. I removed the hard drive from the Z580 and attached it to the other Hack using a USB adapter. I purchased and downloaded ML and set up Unibeast. Ran Unibeast and installed to the laptop/USB drive. Booted the Hack and worked from there to install the kexts and other files to the laptop/USB drive. Then reinstalled the laptop drive into the Z580. Set BIOS to legacy. It booted right up.

So, I installed using Unibeast, but all of my other work was done booted from another Hack.

When you say you set BIOS to legacy do you mean legacy is enabled? Could you post a screenshot or tell me your other settings on that particular page of the BIOS with legacy? Thank you

When you say you set BIOS to legacy do you mean legacy is enabled? Could you post a screenshot or tell me your other settings on that particular page of the BIOS with legacy? Thank you

Enter BIOS. Go to the Boot page. The first line is set to UEFI. Change that to Legacy. A second line will appear (you may need to save and re-enter BIOS to see the 2nd line - can't remember). In the 2nd line, set Legacy to first.

Enter BIOS. Go to the Boot page. The first line is set to UEFI. Change that to Legacy. A second line will appear (you may need to save and re-enter BIOS to see the 2nd line - can't remember). In the 2nd line, set Legacy to first.

Obviously you have a different BIOS (even though I'm pretty sure there is only one for z580). In my BIOS you can't change UEFI to Legacy (you can disable UEFi) and no second line appears even after reboot. What are you talking about?

Obviously you have a different BIOS (even though I'm pretty sure there is only one for z580). In my BIOS you can't change UEFI to Legacy (you can disable UEFi) and no second line appears even after reboot. What are you talking about?

I'm sorry, I've given away the computer, so I can no longer take pictures. I'm getting another one in about a week and if I remember, I will try to take pictures then.

Hi guys. I previously owned one of these machines. I see some of you having trouble with the Nvidia model. You can disable it in the BIOS, which is what I did when installing ML on it. Running on the HD4000 did it just fine for regular tasks.

I recently got myself a used Dell Studio XPS 1645 with a ATI 4670 (also without native support, but got it functional with DSDT) and I don't really mention a difference really. I mainly use it for web developing purposes. Photoshop runs just as fine as it did on the HD4000, even with larger files. I assume its mainly the CPU that counts (which is better in the Z580). I was just missing a full hd screen.

Wow! Your Bios is different! I have none of the legacy options.

Did you buy the computer from the Lenovo Outlet? Are you positive you received a Z580? When I ordered one, they first sent me the wrong computer. Maybe you received a Z570 or other. Turn the computer over and look at the back. There is a sticker with the model number in very fine print. Having a different computer might explain the differences in BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back