Contribute
Register

[Work In Progress] Lenovo Z580 ML Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
why dont you remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement from extensions and try that..

i tried but not booting. if i plug USB it is booting.

I also have dual graphics. Ensure optimus is disabled in bios and legacy boot is enabled with legacy first.

For me it was a case of simply adding the powermanagement kext manually to the usb, the one downloaded from here.

I'm sure it'd work in transmac too but can't be certain.

after adding it, booted flawlessly most times or could use a -v -f and perhaps PCIrootUID=1 boot

optimus is disabled
usb legacy is enabled
i don't understand "legacy boot is enabled with legacy first."?
i want to boot without usb. now i can boot with USB.

legacy first is an option when you choose legacy booting options.

it'll ask, uefi first or legacy first.

so you mean you've install ml to hdd and want to boot without usb?

legacy first is an option when you choose legacy booting options.

it'll ask, uefi first or legacy first.

so you mean you've install ml to hdd and want to boot without usb?

Right. I want to boot without USB

My experience with Z580 i5-3210M.

Successfully installed 10.8.4.

DSDT
turkawa has posted 3 DSDT's for the i5 Z580. The 1st on page 4, posting #34. The same DSDT is posted on page 5, posting #44. But on page 25, posting #247 there is a different DSDT and this is the one that worked best for me. I have not yet tried dealing with brightness controls. The screen is bright enough as is.

Edit: tried untergeek's DSDT for GenericBrightness along with the GenericBrightness.kext and it worked as he described - see page 32 posting #311. And the DSDT still provided audio. I did not check out whether I had the problem with Fn keys in the login screen, which I so rarely use.

Audio
birkley recommends on page 1, posting #1, to use a particular IOAudioFamily.kext. The link to that kext is broken. It goes to a thread on the legacy tonymacx86 site and files cannot be downloaded from there (at least I see no way to do so). However, turkawa posted the IOAudioFamily.kext on page 25, posting #247 along with the same AppleHDA.kext that is recommended in the 1st posting.

These two files did not give me working audio until I used the DSDT from page 25, posting #247.

Video
I did not delete the ATI, Nvidia or GeForce kexts and I booted with no problems.

Battery
I tried the latest AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext (v1.32) from RehabMan's repository, but it didn't seem to work by itself. The battery icon in the menu bar showed an X. Added the provided AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext and the icon started working. I don't know whether having both battery managers installed is good or bad, but I'm not messing with success.

Wireless
I purchased the AR5B95 card but have not yet installed it, so I do not yet know what problems lie there.

Edit: Installed the wireless card and it worked fine. Rather than install a patched IO80211Family.kext, I used a device injector kext. This saves having to worry about one kext during updates. The injector kext is attached.

Camera
Works fine, bright and clear.

Card Reader
Doesn't work, of course.

Attachments

• AtherosWiFiInjector.kext.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 95
Right. I want to boot without USB

ok in my experience.

start with usb again. and load the installer.

Instead of installing choose terminal at the top.

use termainal to copy the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext from usb to your hdd.

I forget the exact command, I'm currently away from home (and on tonymacx86.... guess I'm an addict)

its something like

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volume/"name of your hdd"/System/Library/Extensions

but check with others before, I'm working from a very busy memory/mind

I also copied the entire extra folder I had on usb, so download that and add it to use, then use terminal to copy it to hdd.

After copying the files/folders, close terminal, go to disk management, click your hdd and choose repair permissions.

then reboot and hope for the best!

hope this helps I'll try get those commands as soon as I get home

My experience with Z580 i5-3210M.

Successfully installed 10.8.4.

DSDT
turkawa has posted 3 DSDT's for the i5 Z580. The 1st on page 4, posting #34. The same DSDT is posted on page 5, posting #44. But on page 25, posting #247 there is a different DSDT and this is the one that worked best for me. I have not yet tried dealing with brightness controls. The screen is bright enough as is.

Edit: tried untergeek's DSDT for GenericBrightness along with the GenericBrightness.kext and it worked as he described - see page 32 posting #311. And the DSDT still provided audio. I did not check out whether I had the problem with Fn keys in the login screen, which I so rarely use.

Audio
birkley recommends on page 1, posting #1, to use a particular IOAudioFamily.kext. The link to that kext is broken. It goes to a thread on the legacy tonymacx86 site and files cannot be downloaded from there (at least I see no way to do so). However, turkawa posted the IOAudioFamily.kext on page 25, posting #247 along with the same AppleHDA.kext that is recommended in the 1st posting.

These two files did not give me working audio until I used the DSDT from page 25, posting #247.

Video
I did not delete the ATI, Nvidia or GeForce kexts and I booted with no problems.

Battery
I tried the latest AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext (v1.32) from RehabMan's repository, but it didn't seem to work by itself. The battery icon in the menu bar showed an X. Added the provided AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext and the icon started working. I don't know whether having both battery managers installed is good or bad, but I'm not messing with success.

Wireless
I purchased the AR5B95 card but have not yet installed it, so I do not yet know what problems lie there.

Edit: Installed the wireless card and it worked fine. Rather than install a patched IO80211Family.kext, I used a device injector kext. This saves having to worry about one kext during updates. The injector kext is attached.

Camera
Works fine, bright and clear.

Card Reader
Doesn't work, of course.

can you upload your kexts and extra folder?

ok in my experience.

start with usb again. and load the installer.

Instead of installing choose terminal at the top.

use termainal to copy the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext from usb to your hdd.

I forget the exact command, I'm currently away from home (and on tonymacx86.... guess I'm an addict)

its something like

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volume/"name of your hdd"/System/Library/Extensions

but check with others before, I'm working from a very busy memory/mind

I also copied the entire extra folder I had on usb, so download that and add it to use, then use terminal to copy it to hdd.

After copying the files/folders, close terminal, go to disk management, click your hdd and choose repair permissions.

then reboot and hope for the best!

hope this helps I'll try get those commands as soon as I get home

i will try it thank you...

can you upload your kexts and extra folder?

Just use turkawa's Extra and Kexts from page 25, posting #247 and make the couple of changes from my posting.

Also, see birkley's 1st posting about RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller. You have to install a kext, a daemon and a plist.

see next post :banghead:

Update- Alright boys, I really need some tips here.
Installed and restarted. Booted up and completed setup using -x
From here I am attempting to install attached kexts but I can't get USB drives working in safe mode.
I am unable to boot without the USB as well and unable to boot except into safe mode.
Only able to boot in safe mode with USB attached. Should flash drive be working in safe mode?

Also, in Unibeast, I selected 10.8 and Laptop support, is this correct?

If you insert a CD/DVD, does it recognize it? What if you burned the kexts to a CD?

Selecting laptop in Unibeast adds PS2 kexts to the USB drive, so that is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back