Contribute
Register

[Work In Progress] Lenovo Z580 ML Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the kext and tutorial sir! it's very usefull for me with my z480 :D

btw my webcam is too dark, what about you?
i use your kext on the first page..

thanks

Now everything works except hdmi sound (open to suggestions here)

Usb
Out of the box like Birkley said. I install wrong kext for something else and broked it when i deleted the wrong kext it started working.

which kext did you install that was wrong. I used a lot of your kexts because we have the same i5-3210m.

for my USB

after initial ML install. USB3.0 is recognized by System Report but does not work. Only one fo the 4 usb ports was working properly. Every time I stick in something to any usb port it pauses the whole system.

I used your IOUSBFamily kext and all the ports started working but no USB3.0 only 2.0.

Hello everyone. I've got question about video cards. I have Lenovo Z580 notebook, in it there's 2 cards, integrated HD4000 and Nvidia 630, so there is a way to use both like in macbook? I want to play games sometimes like D3, or SC2. On Nvidia 630 it looks much more better than on HD4000.

Thank you all for contributing to this great thread, and thanks birkley for keeping the first post up to date!! :thumbup:

Ikkoku - I have the same machine as you (p580) and am working through an OSX 10.8.0 install.. Would be great to get more detail on what steps you took to get is stable!

It's been a long road so far with lots of KPs (mostly from intelpowermanagement) and lots of boots to black screens (video card I think).. Lots of trial and error on multibeast usage etc - should have read more before forging ahead and it's resulted in several reinstalls.:banghead:

I already have Ubuntu 12.10 and Windows 7 on the machine, and my primary bootloader is Grub2 which is prooving to be a pain because I can't get into OSX without booting to chameleon on my USB installer drive... For the moment my focus is on getting OSX stable. I've also had NO luck at all getting ethernet to work on this thing, tried the open source RT 81XX driver and the one birkley's using with no luck..

I'll post some updates soon.. So far I have to boot -f if I follow all birkley's steps and use all his files.. have tried playing with chameleon plist but I'm not having loads of luck.. Fresh install today so we'll try try again. Feels like I'm getting closer.

The ethernet connector I have on my p580 is an Atheros. Using the RT drivers will not work.

Note- mine is straight up install. no dual/triple boot (although I will try that eentually)

Steps I took...
Before installation
1. get unibeast usb ready. also put on the usb multibeast, kext wizard (and the stash of kexts from this thread) and chameleon wizard
2. create dsdt
3. get smbios.plist, org.chameleon.boot.plist from this thread - will be used only as a starting point (use chameleon wizard to edit)

Installation
1. boot unibeast and use the following flags UseKernalCache=No PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No -v -x
2. once installed, use multibeast self dsdt install (I forget all the exact settings, but definitely bootloader, disabler, fakesmc, backport acpi, legacy ps2, atheros network)
3. use chameleon wizard to edit smbios (I couldn't find an exact config but mac mini 6,2 or macbookpro 9,1) works well. under chameleon. boot.plist, insert efi injection code (from this thread), drop ssdt, graphics enabler, resolution, pcirootuid=1.
Note: you can just use an existing boot.plist from this thread and modify with chameleon wizard.
4. use kext wizard to install at minimum birkley's voodoops2controller (remember to delete appleps2controller), turkawa's sleepenabler, voodoobattery, iousbfamily, appleacpibatterymanager, aicpm. For sound I used voodoohda 2.7.3 patched with device and vendor id for intel hda.

after all this, you should have it bootable (on first reboot usekernalcache=No) with sleep, usb2.0 on all ports, sound, trackpad working (camera, DVDRW works out of box)
only things I'm unsure of is speedstepping (still not sure how it works)
usb3.0 and card reader does not work.

I haven't tried brighteness keys (not a high priority for me)

most of the times it boots up no problems. sometimes it KPs and I would need to put -f boot flag to get it to boot.

I'm now trying to upgrade to 10.8.2. I also bought a Lenovo atheros wifi-n card and waiting for it to come in the mail.

Hope this helps. feel free to ask me further questions.

you can also download system info app to get all the device and vendor ids

Hello everyone. I've got question about video cards. I have Lenovo Z580 notebook, in it there's 2 cards, integrated HD4000 and Nvidia 630, so there is a way to use both like in macbook? I want to play games sometimes like D3, or SC2. On Nvidia 630 it looks much more better than on HD4000.

From what I've seen, dedicated graphics cards are not very well supported for laptops. Take a look around in other threads (and other forums like insanelymac or olaria or kext.net) to see if anyone has gotten your graphics card working on their laptop.

which kext did you install that was wrong. I used a lot of your kexts because we have the same i5-3210m.

for my USB

after initial ML install. USB3.0 is recognized by System Report but does not work. Only one fo the 4 usb ports was working properly. Every time I stick in something to any usb port it pauses the whole system.

I used your IOUSBFamily kext and all the ports started working but no USB3.0 only 2.0.
I wish i could remember that!! At "trying to make everything work" stage I installed everything i find on web hoping to fix my problems.
After birkley's awesome apple.hda I had to reinstall the whole setup with minimum kexts possible. Everything works ok now except obvious ones(card reader, HDMI audio, touchpad). I strongly recommend the same. OR keep tight track of which kext you install from the beginning! Which is what i am doing now. Color coding them works great. I pretty much use the same package as birkley.
I wish i could help more :)

Only issues I can see is no wireless and sleep not working (screen greys slightly instead)

for wireless, go to ebay and get the WLAN, WiFi 1x1 BGN, Liteon AR9285 HB95 BGN MOW NB 20002357
the 20002357 is the lenovo FRU number which is needed because of the whitelist.

mine should be coming in today ($7 on ebay). I'm planning to do a fresh install (again)

for sleep, maybe you can try turkawa's sleepenabler

also... is you USB3.0 working?

Stuck in the wifi card and booted it up.

It connects to my router but cannot get ip nor Internet. It self assigns ip

I get this message during boot up "link down on en1 reason 1 unspecified"

Anyone ever see this?

Also does apple support wpa2 aes security?

what is the cards model exactly? ar5b?

BTW I just checked my usb3 port speed, it recognises the usb 3 but the speed is legacy usb.
So I dont think i have usb 3 speed either.
I used blackmagic from appstore..

what is the cards model exactly? ar5b?

BTW I just checked my usb3 port speed, it recognises the usb 3 but the speed is legacy usb.
So I dont think i have usb 3 speed either.
I used blackmagic from appstore..

it's a ar5b95

weird thing is i can scan and see the various networks around me. System info shows connected but there's is no ip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back