Contribute
Register

[Work In Progress] Lenovo Z580 ML Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry. The Z580 either does NOT have a BIOS whitelist or the card I installed is on the list. Works like a charm in Linux. I have yet to get it working in Mac OS.

I think I ordered the same card - the AR5B195... I think it's pretty much the same thing as what I mentioned before, the AR9285 - or at least it's part of the same chip family made by Atheros, like you said, with the addition of bluetooth.

I bet the Z580 has a whitelist, but I don't know for sure. However, the procedure to edit and re-flash the bios doesn't seem too bad. It IS scary, but I'm going to try it anyways once my wifi card comes in. The "Phoenix Bios Editor" is the windoze program required to do the edit. This same program has a built-in compiler/tester so that if a mistake was made, the error would pop up.

+USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports
+Bluetooth 4.0 (edited with my device id and vendor id into info.plist of IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents/info.list)

Can you please give a little detail about above components?

i cant make usb 3.0 work, and where can i learn my device id?

being impatient helps nobody. There is a utility called "system info." It's a java app for windows/linux/macos. If you're running linux, you can use lspci and lsusb. I believe the other OSes have native tools as well.

sorry for the impatience

I changed my wifi card with ar5b195 so my wifi is working,
I got sound with voodoohda
voodoobattery working
hd4000 working

but
usb 3 ports are not working there is not even current on them..

There are 2 bluetooth devices on system profile. One of them might be from ar5b195 but both are not working.
I dont know which one is the built in one. I found the info.plist at bluetoothfamily.kext but i dont know which are the ones i should change!

System sleeps but wakes up again after 2 seconds. I used 2 different sleep enabler kexts both with same results.

Can you share your patched kexts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-01 at 4.31.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-01 at 4.31.46 AM.png
    74.9 KB · Views: 826
I solved the usb 3 problem with kext.

About Bluetooth , I added this

<key>Broadcom Bluetooth v4.0</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>e042</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>0489</integer>
</dict>
to this place
IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents/info.list

and still no BT!

camera is working perfectly and i dont know why!! I didnt do anything special!

Attachments

• lenovoz580_usb3.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 220
<key>Broadcom Bluetooth v4.0</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>e042</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>0489</integer>
</dict>
to this place
IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents/info.list

and still no BT!

camera is working perfectly and i dont know why!! I didnt do anything special!

Change idProduct and idVendor to DECIMAL. Currently you have it as hexidecimal (ie, convert e042 and 0489 to its decimal equivalent). It took me some experimentation, but it did work. All I did was copy one of the <key> and <dict> sections, swapped in my idVendor and idProduct with its decimal equivalent, and it worked! I did have to restart with UseKernelCache=No so that the modified kext was recognized.

It makes sense that two bluetooth cards show up - one came with your PC, the second one came with your wifi card (I believe the Atheros card is both wifi and bluetooth).

Yeah... I also have a busy life right now and can't respond consistently every day. As mentioned - patience! Or direct message!

I solved the usb 3 problem with kext.

If you're using mountain lion, the USB 3 ports should work OOB. At least, it did for me. If you're only using lion, then they will not work without doing something special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back