Contribute
Register

[Work In Progress] Lenovo Z580 ML Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent. Thanks for posting your details. Did you start with a unibeast install?

Yes, I did. I started with the latest unibeast+mountain lion. I was able to boot into osx with GraphicsEnabler=No, then multibeasted it. I would almost be happy using it full-time in OSX but need wifi solution. I'll probably install an atheros ar9285 (only $10!), but I want to take my laptop apart first to make sure it'll fit.

I can't get my camera working - I think that's because it's not chicony brand - it's Liteon brand. Annoying, but I rarely use my webcam.
Card reader doesn't work - I did some searching on the 'net, and it looks like no one is getting the Realtek USB2-CRW card reader going. Again, I hardly ever use this.

I meant that the camera worked on the account registration page where you can choose a default picture or take one with the camera.
The next time you log into windows, do you mind checking out what manufacturer you have for your Lenovo Easycam? (using device manager) Is it Chicony brand, or is it Liteon?
I don't mind having to buy an atheros card to get the wifi working. There just seems to be so much information out there and it's all conflicting. I thought someone would have gotten all this stuff working on this laptop by now.
Well - apparently it's extremely difficult to get completely unsupported devices working. From what I understand, everyone here uses custom .kext 's, but it's really just an edited already-existing kext to a similar vendor and product. All people do is swap in their VendorID and ProductID that isn't recognized, and voila it works! However, there appears to be no similar native kexts for wifi for Intel Wireless cards.

How did you manage to get native resolution with your video card? I'm assuming you have HD4000 like I do with no discrete graphics card.
Let me know if you're still having trouble with your HD4000. Like I said, I have QE with 1366x768 going! Works great.

I use Linux. lsusb says my camera is lite-on, 04ca:2003.

Damn. My camera isn't coming up AT ALL. I tried modifying a kext with my vendor id (0x1bcf) and product id (0x2c02), which are different from yours, and I'm having no luck. I tried camtwist and did a bunch of research too. It doesn't even show up on system profiler - though I know it exists because windoze skype has it. Oh well - a minor annoyance.

In other news, I just ordered the Atheros AR9285 wifi card. $12. I opened up my laptop, and I was surprised how EASY it's going to be. 1 screw to open her up, and the wifi card is in plain sight, easily accessible, lots of room, and swap-able.

I ordered an Atheros AR5B195 because I found kext drivers for it. It's a combo wifi/bluetooth card. If it works, I may get another for my other Z580, the Linux laptop, since whatever bluetooth it has inside isn't Linux-worthy out of the box.

Do you know if the Z580 has a BIOS whitelist for mini PCIe cards like other Lenovos do? I've read that others had to re-flash their BIOS to use "non-approved" wireless cards in some Lenovo laptops.

I purchased a Lenovo Z580 laptop a week ago at Staples, a model 215128U, with the specific intention of hackintoshing it. I replaced the original HDD and installed a 500GB I had and followed the directions and installed ML with unibeast with little to no problems. All my problems come in the Multibeast 5.0.2 area. I have tried several configurations and get a kernel panic or a lockup durring the boot screen.

I realize after reading through the posts that I am going to need some help.

What is the best, most reliable, method of installing Multibeast on a Z580 to get as much working as possible.

Many thanks

Robbie

The main thing to keep in mind with multibeast is this: it's not one monolithic "thing" to install. It includes many drivers and other utilities. If you don't know what to install to begin with, just checking boxes willy-nilly, it most definitely will give you kernel panics. Not all the drivers included with multibeast are meant to be installed at the same time on a system.

We're just like you, doing some trial-and-error on this laptop, hoping to find the right combo that works. The Z580 is proving to be a beast itself. As you've read, for starters, you'll need a new wifi card. For my use, the laptop is pretty much useless without one, so I'm waiting to get my new one in before I play around too much more.

If you get a piece of hardware working, please post here what you did. We'll all do the same. I can't wait to try out Birkley's HD4000 tricks.

What is the best, most reliable, method of installing Multibeast on a Z580 to get as much working as possible.

I purchased a Lenovo Z580 laptop a week ago at Staples, a model 215128U, with the specific intention of hackintoshing it. I replaced the original HDD and installed a 500GB I had and followed the directions and installed ML with unibeast with little to no problems. All my problems come in the Multibeast 5.0.2 area. I have tried several configurations and get a kernel panic or a lockup durring the boot screen.
Here's some tips:
#1. Make three partitions: one for your main OS, a second one for your backup OS, and a third one for your data. Install a clean ML onto your backup OS, and then use "carbon copy cloner" to clone it onto your main OS partition. Might need to use a USB stick to transfer over the apps you need. THEN you can go ahead and tinker around. And if you mess up? Simply boot into your backup OS, and reclone onto your main OS.

#2. try booting with all or a combination of these flags to get into your OS:
GraphicsEnabler=No
UseKernelCache=No
UseKernelCache=Yes (only if 'No' isn't working)
PCIRootUID=1 (AFAIK, it's required)
-v (of course)

#3. if all else fails, take a picture of your screen when it kp's and then post it onto this forum.

I ordered an Atheros AR5B195 because I found kext drivers for it. It's a combo wifi/bluetooth card. If it works, I may get another for my other Z580, the Linux laptop, since whatever bluetooth it has inside isn't Linux-worthy out of the box.

Do you know if the Z580 has a BIOS whitelist for mini PCIe cards like other Lenovos do? I've read that others had to re-flash their BIOS to use "non-approved" wireless cards in some Lenovo laptops.

I think I ordered the same card - the AR5B195... I think it's pretty much the same thing as what I mentioned before, the AR9285 - or at least it's part of the same chip family made by Atheros, like you said, with the addition of bluetooth.

I bet the Z580 has a whitelist, but I don't know for sure. However, the procedure to edit and re-flash the bios doesn't seem too bad. It IS scary, but I'm going to try it anyways once my wifi card comes in. The "Phoenix Bios Editor" is the windoze program required to do the edit. This same program has a built-in compiler/tester so that if a mistake was made, the error would pop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back