Contribute
Register

[Work In Progress] Lenovo Z580 ML Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info, but how do I find out how my HDD is partitioned?

In Windows, run an elevated CMD.exe (eg. Run As Administrator).

Then:
Code:
diskpart
list disk
exit

If the 'list disk' shows a '*' in GPT column, then your disk is GPT (and your Windows install is UEFI), otherwise it is MBR (and your Windows install is legacy).

In Windows, run an elevated CMD.exe (eg. Run As Administrator).

Then:
Code:
diskpart
list disk
exit

If the 'list disk' shows a '*' in GPT column, then your disk is GPT (and your Windows install is UEFI), otherwise it is MBR (and your Windows install is legacy).

Thanks, turned out my HDD wasn't GPT :(. but I'll create a backup of what I need, I do have a lot of trash on my laptop though, so it gets a lot cleaner :).

One last question: when I make 2 partitions on my HD, do I need to reinstall Windows drivers on the Windows partition? I dont think so because I saw my drivers were on a different drive in my laptop

why don't you backup your complete hard drive with an image tool or use a completely new hard drive for your mac experiences (I simply bought a 2.5" SSD)? This way you are always only three screws away from a working windows.
Thanks for the info, but is it hard to install an SSD into the lenovo z580? Because I don't want to destroy anything when I open my laptop. Also where do I need to plug the SSD into then?

So basicly every time I want to change operating system I need to do all this work? If so, I think I'm just gonna backup the windows files I need and do 2 partitions on my HDD

Thanks for your help, what SSD do you use? Cause I see it fits perfectly for you. And I want to be sure that the SSD fits perfectly in my laptop

Hi all,

I'm new to this game, hoping to get my Lenovo Z580 / i7-3612QM / Intel HD Graphics 4000 / 1TB
dual-booting Windows 8.1 (currently installed) and a recent OSX.

A couple quick questions -

1. Is this thread (and the guide at the beginning) still the best/most up-to-date resource for this noob to use?
  2. Will I run into issues trying to preserve my existing Win 8.1 installation? (the HD is GPT formatted)
  3. Is there a simpler way to end up with Mav/Yosemite, besides first installing ML?

I have pretty good Windows knowledge, basic functional Linux knowledge (not kernel hacking), but no Mac/OSX/iOS experience to speak of.

Thanks in advance for your assistance! :)

Peace,
RashaMatt

• Is this thread (and the guide at the beginning) still the best/most up-to-date resource for this noob to use?
If you want OS X ML for a lenovo Z580 specific, then yes, this is the topic with the most working drivers and it's the most up to date topic too.
  • Will I run into issues trying to preserve my existing Win 8.1 installation? (the HD is GPT formatted)
Not sure about this one, I personally don't have my HDD GPT formatted, this question is up to someone else
  • Is there a simpler way to end up with Mav/Yosemite, besides first installing ML?
Not sure if you checked this link out already: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/114748-lenovo-z580-mav-installation.html. I'm not sure if u can directly install Mavericks, or if you really need to install it over ML, but I think it should be fine if you do it directly. Also about OS X Yosemite, as it has got a totally new look and stuff, and since no one made a thread about Yosemite for the Lenovo Z580 yet, some drivers will probably not work, so I recommend staying at Mav for now

[*]Is this thread (and the guide at the beginning) still the best/most up-to-date resource for this noob to use?

I would use it as 'clues' as to what might be necessary. Then apply best practices and common sense. I have not looked in detail at the guide, but I see several problems (using SleepEnabler.kext == bad_idea).

[*]Will I run into issues trying to preserve my existing Win 8.1 installation? (the HD is GPT formatted)

Your Win8.1 install must be UEFI. You will need to use Clover to be able to boot it and OS X from the same boot manager.

[*]Is there a simpler way to end up with Mav/Yosemite, besides first installing ML?

You can install Mavericks directly, no need to start at ML.

Please read the rules: http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php

"Prerelease Software or Developer Builds are covered by NDA and therefore there cannot be any discussion of features included or removed within said software. The NDA also prohibits the distribution of any component contained within these releases. There will be no discussion of installing, help with installing or documenting the use of this type of software. Repeated violations of this rule will result in a permanent ban."

I have Lenovo z580 with nvidia gt 635m, is possible to install it with the nvidia fully operational? >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back