Contribute
Register

[Work In Progress] Lenovo Z580 ML Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry. The Z580 either does NOT have a BIOS whitelist or the card I installed is on the list. Works like a charm in Linux. I have yet to get it working in Mac OS.

Sweet Deal!!!

However, from what I've read, the card should work xxxxxx EDIT: It requires a kext. See first post.
Does it show up in System Profiler?

Sweet Deal!!!

However, from what I've read, the card should work OOB.
Maybe try edit the airport kext? Or perhaps there is a kext for that card?
Does it show up in System Profiler?

I know for affect that Realtek 8187se and Atheros ar5b93 are NOT working with lenovo bios.
I am surprised that they are doing this to some cards!!!7
I also know that ar9285 IS working. So there should be no problems there..

Yeah... I also have a busy life right now and can't respond consistently every day. As mentioned - patience! Or direct message!

Yeah. I do that sometimes.. Sry :)

If you're using mountain lion, the USB 3 ports should work OOB. At least, it did for me. If you're only using lion, then they will not work without doing something special.

That is interesting ! I am using Mountain lion and it didnt worked OOB! Cant it be different chipsets?
My z580 is i5-3210m..

Change idProduct and idVendor to DECIMAL. Currently you have it as hexidecimal (ie, convert e042 and 0489 to its decimal equivalent). It took me some experimentation, but it did work. All I did was copy one of the <key> and <dict> sections, swapped in my idVendor and idProduct with its decimal equivalent, and it worked! I did have to restart with UseKernelCache=No so that the modified kext was recognized.

It makes sense that two bluetooth cards show up - one came with your PC, the second one came with your wifi card (I believe the Atheros card is both wifi and bluetooth).

I will try that thank you..

i converted vendor and product id to decimal and rebuilded the cache and its still not working!
can you upload your kext of bluetooth family so i can try that also?

Now everything works except hdmi sound (open to suggestions here)

Video
Previous posters were correct. This fixes the Hd4000 with openCL on boot.plist
Ad these lines and you are done

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1366x768x32</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>7f0000000100000001000000730000000200000002 010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04002c000000 4100410050004c002c00690067002d0070006c006100740066 006f0072006d002d0069006400000008000000030066011400 00006800640061002d0067006600780000000d0000006f6e62 6f6172642d31
</string>

Camera
The attached "IOUSBFamily.kext" solved the onboard camera.

Battery
"AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext" solved the battery. Better than voodoobattery.hda.
More info on this one like How much rime to fully charge, etc.

Sound
Multibeast Drivers/Audio/Universal/Voodoo 2.7.3

Ethernet
Multibeast Drivers/Network/Realtek gigabit ethernet

Usb
Out of the box like Birkley said. I install wrong kext for something else and broked it when i deleted the wrong kext it started working.

Bluetooth
I solved the usb 3 problem with kext.

About Bluetooth , I added this

<key>Broadcom Bluetooth v4.0</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>e042</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>0489</integer>
</dict>
to this place
IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents/info.list

and still no BT!

Change idProduct and idVendor to DECIMAL. Currently you have it as hexidecimal (ie, convert e042 and 0489 to its decimal equivalent). It took me some experimentation, but it did work. All I did was copy one of the <key> and <dict> sections, swapped in my idVendor and idProduct with its decimal equivalent, and it worked! I did have to restart with UseKernelCache=No so that the modified kext was recognized.

Works!! (I added my patched next, maybe it works for you too)

Sleep
Thanks to fau7i at osx86.net. He fixed the DSDT and i installed the Sleepenabler.kext
And now it sleeps like a baby.

Wifi
Changed the wifi card (super easy to do even for a total noob!!) with a r9285 now it works too.

Have fun

Attachments

• AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext.zip
    38.9 KB · Views: 323
  • DSDT.aml.zip
    17.9 KB · Views: 371
  • IOBluetoothFamily.kext.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 401
  • IOUSBFamily.kext.zip
    2 MB · Views: 372
  • SleepEnabler.kext.zip
    20.5 KB · Views: 316
It is great to see that we have progress on the driver/KEXT front.

I have had some weird things happening;
(1) Repeated kernel crashs on booting that often go away after I reboot into windows 7.
(2) USB mouse works in USB3 port but not an the ext HDD or USB Memory.
(3) 10/100 network is detected but thinks no cable is connected.

Also having problems recovering from sleep state.

I am imaging my MAC partition to external drive and plan on starting clean using the most recent KEXT and DSDT.

Hopefully I will see improvement.

Robbie

Update.. I did a new, clean install using the latest info provided and the kext provided now my system is halting durring the boot after the "ApplePCPICPU: Processor ID=3"

This is a new error.

Any ideas?

Robbie

That didnt happened to me!
But i always delete all ati and force kexts .
Maybe it works for you to if you didnt did that already..
I suggest you open system with -x
Delete all ATI and Gforce kexts
reboot with PCIRootUID=1
Let us know if its works or not!

Now everything works except hdmi sound (open to suggestions here)

Wow, this is amazing! Great work. I am exceptionally crazy busy for the next week, but I will try out all these kext and dsdt edits. Super awesome. Good job getting your Lenovo fully functional.

PS - another thread on this forum talks about how to adjust your touchpad settings so that drag n drop isn't annoying nor impossible with just touch clicks. I can't find the thread though now...

Now try'n to solve the Turbo boost issue(thanks to fau7i from osx86.net) .
When its done i will try to solve the HDMI audio and Memory card slot.
If i find an applehda.kext which works with z580 i will probably solve the hdmi too..
But i have no chance with voodoohda so far.

Guys,

I have the same laptop, when i tried to install Mountain Lion it show me "nvidia missing" error message and reboot, then i tried to install Lion instead the message disappear but still when i choose to install OS X it show me the gray screen for installation for 1 sec then reboot.

How you guys fix that?

my laptop have NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back