GA-Z87N-Wifi
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I thought I would make a nice PSA for people looking to make a build using the Gigabyte Z87N-wifi motherboard.

I am an artist, and use a Wacom Cintiq tablet display on a daily basis. The cintiq's standard output is DVI-I. The Z87N-Wifi's only non-HDMI display port is DVI-I. A match made in heaven, I thought.

I have spent an entire week trying to figure out why I couldn't get my intel HD 4600 graphics injection working. Turns out, the DVI-I input is putting an analog signal into the mix, which doesn't jive with OS X, interfere's with graphics and won't allow a proper boot. The noob that I am, I used flags willy nilly to solve my problem and landed on PCIRootUID=1 to get me into the installer and eventually OS X. This is the ONLY way to boot into OS X using a DVI-I monitor. Turns out PCIRootUID=1, from what I can tell, nulls graphics injection, instead forcing VESA graphics mode. Barebones, nothing to it graphics with somewhere between 3-7 MB VRAM.

Not knowing all the above kept me tinkering, researching, and asking fruitless questions for a week straight and upwards of 50 hrs wasted time. I used an HDTV early in the process to see if it would work, but I kept using the same flags. Obviously this comes from inexperience, and someone who knows how every flag works would know what to use and when. I eventually, by dumb luck booted without flags using HDMI and wouldn't you know it, I entered the installer with proper graphics, resolution detection and it was mostly smooth sailing from there. I am going to Fry's tomorrow to get an active DVI-I to HDMI converter so I may continue using my Cintiq on my new rig.

tl;dr - DVI-I input interferes with graphics detection on this board. DVI-D is unsupported. The only working display ports available on this board for use in OS X are 2x HDMI. Use converters for any DVI-I displays you need to use.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and you have a working DVI-I setup with this board (discrete graphics cards not included).

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I thought I would make a nice PSA for people looking to make a build using the Gigabyte Z87N-wifi motherboard.

I am an artist, and use a Wacom Cintiq tablet display on a daily basis. The cintiq's standard output is DVI-I. The Z87N-Wifi's only non-HDMI display port is DVI-I. A match made in heaven, I thought.

I have spent an entire week trying to figure out why I couldn't get my intel HD 4600 graphics injection working. Turns out, the DVI-I input is putting an analog signal into the mix, which doesn't jive with OS X, interfere's with graphics and won't allow a proper boot. The noob that I am, I used flags willy nilly to solve my problem and landed on PCIRootUID=1 to get me into the installer and eventually OS X. This is the ONLY way to boot into OS X using a DVI-I monitor. Turns out PCIRootUID=1, from what I can tell, nulls graphics injection, instead forcing VESA graphics mode. Barebones, nothing to it graphics with somewhere between 3-7 MB VRAM.

Not knowing all the above kept me tinkering, researching, and asking fruitless questions for a week straight and upwards of 50 hrs wasted time. I used an HDTV early in the process to see if it would work, but I kept using the same flags. Obviously this comes from inexperience, and someone who knows how every flag works would know what to use and when. I eventually, by dumb luck booted without flags using HDMI and wouldn't you know it, I entered the installer with proper graphics, resolution detection and it was mostly smooth sailing from there. I am going to Fry's tomorrow to get an active DVI-I to HDMI converter so I may continue using my Cintiq on my new rig.

tl;dr - DVI-I input interferes with graphics detection on this board. DVI-D is unsupported. The only working display ports available on this board for use in OS X are 2x HDMI. Use converters for any DVI-I displays you need to use.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and you have a working DVI-I setup with this board (discrete graphics cards not included).
Try using clover with the HD4600 config.plist from the guide - http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html

I have the Z87I Deluxe working using it.

Motherboard
GA-Z87N-Wifi
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Try using clover with the HD4600 config.plist from the guide - http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html

I have the Z87I Deluxe working using it.

i actually did just that out of desperation, because I'm inexperienced and clover raises the bar a bit for how much know-how you need. It proved problematic because in order to mount the install dmg
as bootable with the terminal script you have to have a relatively recent OS X. I was working on a snow leopard MacBook Pro that couldn't be updated, so I had to track down a friend's 2011 MBP to prep the USB key. After all that effort I never could get the clover install on my SSD to show up as bootable media. Just wouldn't be recognized no matter what I did. But I did notice that in the installer the graphics were a-ok, so if that method works for folks, more power to ya. I however had to revert to chimera and use a converter as a workaround.

Motherboard
GA-Z87N-WIFI
CPU
i3-4340
Graphics
Integrated Intel HD 4600
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After many hours of searching and experimenting, I've come to the same conclusion as MartySMcFly88. I've only been able to get 1280x1024 resolution with the DVI output. Simply changing to a different monitor and using HDMI, I was able to achieve 1920x1080 resolution just by rebooting with a different monitor. Both of the monitors I used (DVI and HDMI) are capable of 1920x1200.

In both cases, however, the HD4600 is not recognized and I still have "No Kext Loaded" with 5MB VRAM.

Despite much time searching, I haven't come across any solutions - but then again I'm still somewhat of a noob and perhaps come across the answer without knowing it. :banghead: