Contribute
Register

Won't Boot -hangs at FakePCIID, builder unreachable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI mini-ITX
CPU
i7-6700
Graphics
GTX 750 TI
The Mac side of my dual-boot system won't load. Hangs at fakePCIID instruction. Builder is unreachable. Help!

In Aug or Sept 2016, a friend built me a beautiful system:
CPU: Intel Corei7-6700 @ 3.4 GHz w NH-L9i cooler
RAM: 16GB
Motherboard:Gigabyte H170N-Wifi
Graphics: onboard integrated graphics only
Case: Silverstone Fortress with 500WSFX series pwr supply
Boot drives: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB VNAND (for Windows 10 and MacOS)
Data drive: Hitachi 2TB 64MB JT HGST Deskstar 7K4000 7200RPM 6.0 GB/s internal
Bluetooth/Wifi/WLAN: BCM94352Z NGFF M.2

I'm pretty sure it has El Capitan operating system. He advised me not to update the OS unless I absolutely had to.

The backstory:

We had it running perfectly. Then he left town. Doesn't return texts. Not mad at me, prob just busy or feels guilty.

A while ago, one of my email providers (Brainstorm) "accidentally" deleted all my emails from a decade of correspondence. They had no backup. I canceled that account. I recently changed my Apple ID to my Gmail address, and since then, my Hack has been giving me iCloud error messages every time I boot. As I was trying to figure out how to clear that up, I was unable to log out to turn off my computer, because Settings made it hang up. So I pressed the power button for 8 seconds to reboot. Did that about a half-dozen times, and after one of those times, it wouldn't reboot.

At the time he built it, I asked my friend to show me what he was doing as he configured it, but he never did, so now I'm stuck not knowing how to reconfigure, or find out what configurations it should have. I have a (bootable?) jump drive created at the time, which adds an additional MacOS button in Clover, but that hangs the same way, with the Apple Logo, and a progress bar that makes no progress.

I learned to change Options to add -v for verbose mode, and the last instruction was
"FakePCIID: Version 1.3.2 starting on OS X Darwin 15.6"

Is that the problem spot, or immediately before or after?
If so, what should it be?
If I need to change it, what tool do I need to edit it?
Can I find useful things on the jump drive?
I don't need to know what went wrong, if I just knew how to get it running again.

Thanks for your help.

Having trouble w Gmail, which makes it harder to do everything. Google won't accept my password, even though before this happened, I could still do all email from my Hackintosh and phone, with the stored password, and Google won't let me create a new password, (at least in part because my recovery email account is now dead. So at the moment I can only retrieve Gmail by iPhone.

Sorry, didn't see this until now.
Yes, Windows seems to all be working correctly.

Sorry, didn't see this until now.
Yes, Windows seems to all be working correctly.
Try disconnecting the SATA cable to the Windows drive and see if it boots. If he put both macOS and Windows on the same drive obviously you cant do this. We generally recommend not doing that as it leads to problems such as you are having now. Do you have your important data backed up or not ?

You have no idea how much i appreciate being able to connect with an actual human!! Thank you, Thank you!!!

The macOS and the Windows OS are on separate 250 GB SSDs. I did what you suggested and unplugged the SATA cable to the windows drive. NO GO. Before, Clover actually had 5 boot icons (3 Windows, 2 Mac). With the cable disconnected, naturally there were only the MacOS icons. Same result with the cable disconnected, unfortunately. I also tried again plugging in the backup flash drive, but it wouldn't boot either. I've plugged the Windows drive back in, to communicate with you.

As for data backup, you never really know, do you? Until you need it. Then either it works, or it doesn't, and by then, it's too late. I'M TRYING! Any data for which I assigned a location is all on a 2 TB hard drive shared by both systems. So far, has always worked just fine. I also have a BackBlaze subscription, but when Brainstorm deleted my emails, I discovered that to BackBlaze, "your entire computer" doesn't include emails. Turns out Windows Mail DID have them on stored somewhere (Users>username>AppsData>Local>Comms>Unistore>data etc). I haven't synced that account (closed anyway) since they deleted them all, so they're still there. They seem to be completely lost on the Mac side. After that, I read that "Time Machine" is supposed to back up emails, so I bought a portable 2TB drive, and set it up for Time Machine. Turns out Time Machine won't back up the shared data drive, for reasons I haven't uncovered yet.

Passwords have become a massive nightmare, and I get differing opinions about password managers. That could be the worst consequence if I lose the data from the Mac side. I already mentioned I am limited to one phone where I can access Gmail at all (which is now my primary email). If something goes wrong with that iPhone, I am MASSIVELY SCREWED!

Sorry for the rant. You could say I have trust issues when it comes to anything regarding computers.

Next suggestion?

Can you suggest whether there's anything wrong with that fakePCIID code at the end of the verbose script? I'd attach a picture of the entire screen, but I no longer can figure out a way to communicate from my phone to this computer.

I would try booting, with just the macOS drive connected, use the boot flags -f and -x and see if you can reach the desktop or not. You enter these right from the clover menu, press the space bar and you'll see them.

Again, I'm grateful for the suggestion. Didn't find how to do it.

From the clover screen, if I press space bar, I see
Volume size: 237655Mb
(check mark)PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x17,0x0)\Sata(0x5,0xFFFF,0x0)\HD(2,GPT,0FA2219C-AFAD-46AE-8DE6-0941F4BDEB07,0x64028,0x1D02BA00)\System\Library (the rest is cut off the end of the screen)
UUID: 0FA2219C-AFAD-46AE-8DE6-0941F4BDEB07
Options: dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1

Boot Mac OS X
Force hibernate wake
Cancel hibernate wake
Boot Mac OS in ... verbose mode, safe mode, single user verbose, without caches without injected kexts, without caches and injected kexts
Return
-----
It seems like when I got to verbose mode before, I went to "Options",
which gives me the following options:
Config:config_
Boot Args:dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1 _
Block kext:_
Set OS version if not:10.10.10 _
Pointer speed:08_
Mirror move:[ ]
Themes ->
Tables dropping menu ->
DSDT fix mask [0x00000004]->
SMBIOS ->
CPU tuning menu ->
Graphics Injector menu ->
Binaries patching menu ->
Return
------
I also have available the Clover Boot Options menu which has:
PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x17,0x0)\Sata(0x5,0xFFFF, 0x0)\HD(1,GPT,32E3F8C6-514E-45CF-870B-F4A489E11A93,0x28,0x64000)
Add Clover boot options for all entries
Remove all Clover boot options
Print all UEFI boot options to log
Return

Can you give more instructions for the boot flags -f and -x?

Can you give more instructions for the boot flags -f and -x?
They mean that you boot in safe mode and without caches. You must have an old version of Clover.
Try just safe mode first and see if that works. If not try booting without caches and injected kexts.

Didn't try yet with Sata cable disconnected. Am using it to communicate with you on the Windows side.

With the cable still connected, neither was successful.

Don't know if the last line is relevant, but since I can't take picture and send it to you, here's what it said:
000001,032218 AppleUSBLegacyRoot@: AppleUSBLegacyRoot::int: enabling legacy matching
mcache: 8 CPU(s), 64 bytes CPU cache line size

Unfortunately, I really have to leave for rehearsal, so I'll have to try your suggestion with Sata cable disconnected tomorrow.

Tried again with the Sata cable disconnected. Same result. No Boot.

I did figure out a way to get pictures onto the Windows side. This is what the screen showed after attempted boots with Safe mode, No cache, No cache and no kexts.
This is what the screen showed after attempted boot with safe mode, no cache, no kexts. Hope they can give you some clues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back