Contribute
Register

With TRIM, Errors - Without TRIM, No Errors??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97-A USB 3.1
CPU
i5 << need full model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Graphics
GTX 760
Hello,
in High Sierra , after activating the trim, the boot stays about 20 seconds before these rows:

kernel: (apfs) er_state_obj_get_for_recovery:3682: No ER state object - rolling is not happening, nothing to recover.

kernel: (apfs) handle_mount:254: vol-uuid: 42581E64-0633-4338-A556-AFBEFF7E020F block size: 4096 block count: 58556556 (unencrypted; flags: 0x1; features: 1.0.2)

kernel: (apfs) apfs_vfsop_mount:1331: mounted volume: VM

kernel: (apfs) apfs_load_inode:3805: *** reset ino 775206 size back to 29314 (from 29989)

Instead, without trim, no breaks.

A person of good will might explain to me why?

Sorry for my english and thanks in advance.

Did you ever find the answer to this? I am facing the same issue.

Attachments

• IMG_4078.jpg
    IMG_4078.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,562
Hello,
in High Sierra , after activating the trim, the boot stays about 20 seconds before these rows:

kernel: (apfs) er_state_obj_get_for_recovery:3682: No ER state object - rolling is not happening, nothing to recover.

kernel: (apfs) handle_mount:254: vol-uuid: 42581E64-0633-4338-A556-AFBEFF7E020F block size: 4096 block count: 58556556 (unencrypted; flags: 0x1; features: 1.0.2)

kernel: (apfs) apfs_vfsop_mount:1331: mounted volume: VM

kernel: (apfs) apfs_load_inode:3805: *** reset ino 775206 size back to 29314 (from 29989)

Instead, without trim, no breaks.

A person of good will might explain to me why?

Sorry for my english and thanks in advance.

Same problem and no solution for me
What kind of SSD have you ? is its fresh install or update Sierra ?

I have the same issue on my build since update to High Sierra. Everything work fine but this message at boot is killing me. So, TRIM disable will disable that message? I have 2 Samsung EVO 850 SSD and 1 old harddisk in my case.
At start it shows:
APFS start 1384
efi_fusion_pairing . something not rolling message.

B.t.w. For me it doesn't change when I turn off Trim. I have tried that. Also removing other drivers at startup doesn't change a thing. I don't have a fusion drive or never have used one.

Last edited:
I have the same issue on my build since update to High Sierra. Everything work fine but this message at boot is killing me. So, TRIM disable will disable that message? I have 2 Samsung EVO 850 SSD and 1 old harddisk in my case.
At start it shows:
APFS start 1384
Attached apfs boot messages with trim patch enabled/disabled. Time to login screen is noticeably longer with the patch enabled (5<10 sec). The messages look similar to me.

Attachments

• apfs-boot.txt
    13.1 KB · Views: 850
Attached apfs boot messages with trim patch enabled/disabled. Time to login screen is noticeably longer with the patch enabled (5<10 sec). The messages look similar to me.
On my Hack the display of this message is for about 5 seconds. B.t.w. I don't use a trim patch. Only use "sudo trimforce enable".

On my Hack the display of this message is for about 5 seconds. B.t.w. I don't use a trim patch. Only use "sudo trimforce enable".
In the file i posted in #6 there's ~8 second delay, between 12:18:05
Code:
(apfs) apfs_mount_update:17785: er: mount check: ro->rw update: no encryption rolling in progress, bailing.
and the next message from apfs at 12:18:13
Code:
which isn't there without trim (the 8 second delay). The output isn't that useful as the only messages for the window relate to encryption rolling (on an unencrypted disk) - BTW i've heard Apple users saying use of trimforce can have a similar effect on boot time.

As my SSD seems to have no problems with Apple's trim implementation i'm leaving the patch enabled for now.

Last edited:
In the file i posted in #6 there's ~8 second delay, between 12:18:05
Code:
(apfs) apfs_mount_update:17785: er: mount check: ro->rw update: no encryption rolling in progress, bailing.
and the next message from apfs at 12:18:13
Code:
which isn't there without trim (the 8 second delay). The output isn't that useful as the only messages for the window relate to encryption rolling (on an unencrypted disk) - BTW i've heard Apple users saying use of trimforce can have a similar effect on boot time.

Hi @vulgo And @GeraldB

I now wonder about trimforce enable. Clearly macOS has the facility to reuse data blocks before waiting for them to be emptied. The trimforce command is built-in, so logically must the software. Some manufacturers have their own hardware routines which do the clean-up while the SSD is powered but not being read.

If macOS doesn't enable trim, is this because the SSD is doing its own cleaning, or because we aren't using a 'genuine' Apple SSD? Should we now leave it be?

I was tempted to disable trimforce again, but reading the Crucial tech docs for my drive, their routines run alongside any native trim, helping rather than hindering. Maybe this is different for different brands?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back