Contribute
Register

With no reason a stable system has random black screens after apple logo. X58A-UD7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
X58A-UD7
CPU
i7-930
Graphics
GTX580
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Mobo: Gigabyte X58-UD7
CPU: i7-930
GPU: GTX 980

A very stable system without any reason started having random black screens on boot. Nothing changed. If happened the only way is to boot with usb stick and reinstall nvidia drivers. This fixes the problem for the next couple of boots. I have the latest driver. -v on boot doesn't produce any error, just go to black screen and a monitor stby state. The system was stable with no issues. On my other SSD I have win 10 and the system there has no problem at all.

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.7 KB · Views: 199
Hi themiskt,

I had a familar problem when trying to install El Cap on one of my LGA 1155 system, it would get to the Apple Logo for the first time then kernel panic, i tried to do it again, Kernel panic once again. Luckly, i'm a big PC and Mac nerd so i buy a hell of a lot components, i ended up having to change out my i5 2500 for an i3 3220 (it's weaker but whatever) Tried the install again and IT BOOTS IN EL CAP INSTALL NO ISSUES!, have you tried disabling recommended BIOS settings for the X58 boards, if so, i'd say (if you have these) Try a new CPU, Ram, Motherboard or even a new install of El Capitan

Hope this helps!

Jacob :)

Thank you for you suggestion. I’m suspecting a conflict with a usb 3 card (Highpoint 1022C) that I have installed lately although is working as it should. I’ll try to uninstall it. It’s a PCI 2.0 board, and maybe is conflicting with nvidia. Who knows.

Unfortunately with the removal of the USB3 PCI I had the same issue. The strange this is if I boot with the stick and reinstall the drivers, after the reboot is OK. Then If I reboot again 50/50 chances to not have black screen.

Unfortunately with the removal of the USB3 PCI I had the same issue. The strange this is if I boot with the stick and reinstall the drivers, after the reboot is OK. Then If I reboot again 50/50 chances to not have black screen.
This makes it sound as if the GPU is going bad. Do you have another GPU to install and try?

No, but my GPU working great in Windows. (Games, GPU Render etc.) No problems at all.

do you have nvda_drv=1 as a boot flag in Clover?

Yes I have it. Its like something changing the driver config because after driver reinstall works perfectly.

the only way is to boot with usb stick and reinstall nvidia drivers
The Nvidia web drivers require native NVRAM support.
If your motherboard lacks native NVRAM support then it must be emulated.
It is not possible to emulate NVRAM if you have Clover in Legacy mode.
Test for NVRAM support :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back