Contribute
Register

Wireless - Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The card in the latest 2011 iMacs just released is the Atheros AR9380 model XB112 (power transmitter) this has a 3 channel out put i.e. you need a pci express to pcie mini card adapter with 3 aerials). The potential result is my friends iMac gets a connection speed of 450Mbps although on mine I am getting 270Mbps > however its currently running at 2.4Gps + mode not full dual channel (5gps + 2.4Gps). You also require a recent model airport extreme base station to use full simultaneous bands. I paid $50 for the genuine iMac card from the states and verified it against the card shown in the ifixit iMac teardown. The older dual channel card also works fine (the one in the link in an earlier posting) and goes for about $20. The pci adapter was less than $10 posted from HK.
With the assembly the adapter to card mounting you need 2.5mm screws, try an electronics shop, metal is best as they form part of the founding circuit. Put the head of the screw on the aerial lead socket side and a nut as a spacer between both cards - otherwise tightening the cards together will strain the mini pci express plug. Then when you install the aerial leads VERY carefully align the plugs making absolutely sure they are in the correct position then a firm push to click the plug into place. Take your time as if you damage the tiny plug the card is stuffed. Refer to the Appleinsider article "Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to support 450 Mbps..." article for full configuration details.

I am ordering the Atheros AR9380 from Shanghai in the taobao.com. I will write a report once I receive the card.

I am currently using an AR9280 from China which recognized as Apple Airport Extreme Card. However it is just running at 54M link speed and running 802.11g only. I cannot get 802.11n to work so I need to switch card.

moarfish said:
I am ordering the Atheros AR9380 from Shanghai in the taobao.com. I will write a report once I receive the card.

Let us know how you get on :)

So this is the photo of the Atheros 9380 the seller post in taobao.com
I have compare it with the photo in ifixit.com and it is identical to the one using in the new 2011 iMac.
They are selling at $99RMB = US$15 which is cheap.

They say they are currently out of stock but expect to have stock next week.

I will still need to order a mini PCI-E adaptor with 3 Antenna as well. My currently adaptor only got 2 Antenna.

Attachments

• T1_np5XmpXXXcYc2_X_084921.jpg_310x310.jpg
    T1_np5XmpXXXcYc2_X_084921.jpg_310x310.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 174
SteinVS said:
fehhkk said:
Seriously, this is your best solution! Just make sure you get an original Apple Broadcom adapter, and will work straight out of the box no issues... Only if you are handy with electronics that is :mrgreen:

It's a great solution! What's better than a native solution? It will always work with system updates and it should work on all system configurations. What's not to love. It's very easy... Order parts. Plug in Broadcom card to adapter. Plug into computer.

You don't have to be handy with electronics at all, it is literally plug and play.

Hi I am looking to build my own wireless adapter. Can you please give some recommendations on parts. Thanks!

Also seems like the Atheros 9380 is back in stock.

http://s.taobao.com/search?q=Atheros+93 ... 1873097303

If anyone can confirm that it works it'll probably be the best adapter use. The $16 price is not bad either. Anyone know how much they charge for shipping to U.S. ?

No. They don't have stock yet. When you click inside the page, they said "no stock" in Chinese in the first line of the discription.
The number of transaction is "0" as well.

moarfish said:
No. They don't have stock yet. When you click inside the page, they said "no stock" in Chinese in the first line of the discription.

I thought the iMac has the 9280 (2 antenna connection). Better check properly before buying. Cannot imply there is backward compatibility just because it is a latter card.

moarfish said:

Oh I see I was using google translate on the page....seems like that wasn't translated. Can you read chinese? I know the price of the card converted over into $ is $15~16 and they charge ~$1 shipping....is that the same for delivery to the U.S. or will it be more for delivery to U.S.?

musket said:
moarfish said:

I thought the iMac has the 9280 (2 antenna connection). Better check properly before buying. Cannot imply there is backward compatibility just because it is a latter card.

The new 2011 iMac is using 9380 with 3 antenna. You can check it in the ifixit.com 2011 iMac Teardown.
2011 iMac got 450Mbps link speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back