Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9370 FHD
CPU
i5 8300h
Graphics
UHD 630 / GTX 1050 MaxQ
About
As many others are having issues even getting past the installation of High Sierra on the 9570, I've decided to put together this guide.

Device Specs
Model: XPS 9570 (1080p)
CPU: i5 8300h
Graphics: Intel UHD 630, Nvidia (optimus) GTX 1050 MaxQ
Memory: 8GB
Storage: NVME & PCIE SATA SSDs

Working
  • Installation
  • First boot
  • Disabled Nvidia GPU
  • Bluetooth
Not Working
  • Intel Graphics accelleration
  • Audio
  • Wifi
  • A lot more...
Installation

1. Create Bootable USB

Please see other forum guides for how to create a bootable USB using Unibeast.

2. Disable Nvidia GPU
The below DSDT/SSDT file will prevent the Nvidia GPU from being started. Copy the file to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched on the EFI partition of your bootable USB drive.

SSDT-Disable_DGPU.aml

3. Prepare Kexts
The following kexts should be copied to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • AppleALC
  • AtherosE2200Ethernet
  • FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics
  • FakeSMC
  • FakeSMC_ACPISensors
  • FakeSMC_GPUSensors
  • FakeSMC_LPCSensors
  • Lilu
  • VoodooI2C
  • Voodoo2CHID
  • VoodooPS2Controller
  • WhateverGreen
4. Configure EFI drivers
Copy the following files to /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI
  • apfs.efi
  • OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi
5. Copy configuration file
Copy the attached config.plist to the /EFI/clover/ directory.

Attachments

• config.plist
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,062
Last edited:
Talk about great timing! I literally was shopping the base model XPS 15 (9570) just moments ago. I didn't see any option to add the Nvidia (optimus) GTX 1080 MaxQ on the i5 base model though.
1080? I wish haha! Updated to GTX 1050.

Just a heads up, this is far from stable or daily usage right now - mainly because I haven't tested it much.

Bonjour,
It is my first intro into the Hackintosh world. I'm not sure if it the right forum so please forgive me if I'm at the wrong place. I'm a long time Mac user switch to the latest Dell XPS 15 9570 (bought it for the 500 CAD rebate). I followed the Hackintosh installation Guide for High Sierra (using my Mac still running El Capitan to create the bootable USB). Clover starts but does not show the MacOS Install partition only the EFI one. I connected another USB drive at the same time with another MacOS installer (El Capitan) without an EFI and that one showed-up in the list of drives that Clover sees. What is wrong with my bootable USB drive? Why is it not showing the HS partition created by the Unibeast?

I would like to be passed that Clover boot step to start the real MacOS HS install.

Here are the metrics I was able to gather about my laptop:
CPU:
Intel Core i9-8950HK (12M Cache, 2.9-X.X GHz)
GPU:
Intel HD 630 + NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 1050Ti graphics card (4GB GDDR5 video memory)
RAM:
Crucial 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz [2 SoDIMM slots, up to 32GB of Dual Channel DDR4, 2 666 MHz]
Storage:
2TB 3D NAND WD Blue WDS200T2B0B
(I replaced the original 1TB NVMe Toshiba XG4 THNSN51T02DUK by a 2TB 3D WD Blue)
Display:
15.6" 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge Anti-Reflective Touch IPS100% AdobeRGB 400-Nits display
Audio:
Realtek ALC3266 - Waves MaxxAudio® Pro technology, 2 × 2W = 4W total
Wireless:
Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 NGFF w/ Bluetooth 5.0
(I ordered the Intel 9260 and about to switch it again for a more traditional Genuine Wireless-AC Wi-Fi Card HHKJD BCM943602BAED ER*)
Thunderbolt 3 (4 lanes of PCI Express Gen 3):
Intel JHL6240

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Thanks.
PM

Bonjour,
It is my first intro into the Hackintosh world. I'm not sure if it the right forum so please forgive me if I'm at the wrong place. I'm a long time Mac user switch to the latest Dell XPS 15 9570 (bought it for the 500 CAD rebate). I followed the Hackintosh installation Guide for High Sierra (using my Mac still running El Capitan to create the bootable USB). Clover starts but does not show the MacOS Install partition only the EFI one. I connected another USB drive at the same time with another MacOS installer (El Capitan) without an EFI and that one showed-up in the list of drives that Clover sees. What is wrong with my bootable USB drive? Why is it not showing the HS partition created by the Unibeast?

I would like to be passed that Clover boot step to start the real MacOS HS install.

Here are the metrics I was able to gather about my laptop:
CPU:
Intel Core i9-8950HK (12M Cache, 2.9-X.X GHz)
GPU:
Intel HD 630 + NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 1050Ti graphics card (4GB GDDR5 video memory)
RAM:
Crucial 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz [2 SoDIMM slots, up to 32GB of Dual Channel DDR4, 2 666 MHz]
Storage:
2TB 3D NAND WD Blue WDS200T2B0B
(I replaced the original 1TB NVMe Toshiba XG4 THNSN51T02DUK by a 2TB 3D WD Blue)
Display:
15.6" 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge Anti-Reflective Touch IPS100% AdobeRGB 400-Nits display
Audio:
Realtek ALC3266 - Waves MaxxAudio® Pro technology, 2 × 2W = 4W total
Wireless:
Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 NGFF w/ Bluetooth 5.0
(I ordered the Intel 9260 and about to switch it again for a more traditional Genuine Wireless-AC Wi-Fi Card HHKJD BCM943602BAED ER*)
Thunderbolt 3 (4 lanes of PCI Express Gen 3):
Intel JHL6240

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Thanks.
PM

Read up on the FAQ first:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Link to laptop guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Have you been able to run the UEFI shell with setup_var? I may have figured out the correct BIOS settings to change DVMT pre-alloc to 128MB for the Intel UHD 630 Graphics, but I can't get this shell to boot - it just hangs with a single underscore. Other UEFI booting with Clover works fine, and I can boot into macOS with an invalid platform id (e.g. 0x12345678).

I believe so. I'm not sure what you mean by setup_var (Do you mean the latest Dell BIOS 1.3.1 settings? - Followed from pre-install guidelines I was able to find on the web for the XPS 9550/9560.) Can you share your EFI folder? I'm just unable to boot further than what seems to be a hibernation issue. See file attached. I've included screenshots of the verbose when I tried to install MacOS from Clover.

Let me know.
Thanks.

Attachments

• EFI_pmtremblay.zip
    11.6 MB · Views: 438
Have you been able to run the UEFI shell with setup_var? I may have figured out the correct BIOS settings to change DVMT pre-alloc to 128MB for the Intel UHD 630 Graphics, but I can't get this shell to boot - it just hangs with a single underscore. Other UEFI booting with Clover works fine, and I can boot into macOS with an invalid platform id (e.g. 0x12345678).

Make sure you're running the correct UEFI shell... the shell used for setup_var and setup_var2 is NOT the shell included with Clover.

I believe so. I'm not sure what you mean by setup_var (Do you mean the latest Dell BIOS 1.3.1 settings? - Followed from pre-install guidelines I was able to find on the web for the XPS 9550/9560.) Can you share your EFI folder? I'm just unable to boot further than what seems to be a hibernation issue. See file attached. I've included screenshots of the verbose when I tried to install MacOS from Clover.

Let me know.
Thanks.

I'm able to boot without any ACPI hotpatches (probably very unoptimized, but I'm trying to solve Intel graphics acceleration first), but if you are going to do ACPI patching, I'd start with those from RehabMan's laptop repo: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config

You'll want to supply problem reporting files as described elsewhere on the site, but I noticed you're injecting Intel graphics with platform ID 0x19160000 - this probably isn't going to work until you have 128MB DVMT pre-alloc, so try setting this to an invalid value, e.g. 0x12345678.

Thanks for your help. I restarted my efforts using the post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/wip-xps-9570-hackintosh-guide.259844/#post-1809710 that I just found.

I created my USB partition using Unibeast and added files in the proper EFI directory using the list of files and the config supplied in the post from andythedev. I went further in my installation. When the macOS HS installation restarts for the first time, it does not continue automagically from the newly installed macOS instead I have to restart using Clover to select my newly macOS installed drive (named HSSSD). It continues the installation but stops in the middle with the errors captured in the photos joined in the zip file attached.

I don't know what to do now.

It looks like we have a very similar hw configuration. Could you share your EFI folder in a zip file?

Cheers.

Attachments

• EFI_20180919_1500.zip
    17 MB · Views: 363
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back