Contribute
Register

[WIP] [GUIDE] Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 & Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RehabMan

I stumbled upon this thread as I needed some help. I'm currently installing El Capitan for my Z500. As this is for Mavericks I do not know whether the kexts are suitable for El Capitan. Can you advise?

My main problems are probably Sleep, Brightness and Power, and USB 3.0 and which SMBIOS to use. The rest I can figure it out by myself. Thanks!

Specs:

CPU: Intel i5-3230M Ivy Bridge

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GT740M(Disabled in BIOS)

Chipset: Ivy Bridge (Rev. 09) HM76

Wifi: Qualcomm Aetheros AR9485WB-EG(Due to incompatibility I have bought a usb wifi dongle)

Audio: Realtek HD Audio (I have no idea what codec i am using, but the driver specs are located here

@RehabMan

I stumbled upon this thread as I needed some help. I'm currently installing El Capitan for my Z500. As this is for Mavericks I do not know whether the kexts are suitable for El Capitan. Can you advise?

My main problems are probably Sleep, Brightness and Power, and USB 3.0 and which SMBIOS to use. The rest I can figure it out by myself. Thanks!

Specs:

CPU: Intel i5-3230M Ivy Bridge

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GT740M(Disabled in BIOS)

Chipset: Ivy Bridge (Rev. 09) HM76

Wifi: Qualcomm Aetheros AR9485WB-EG(Due to incompatibility I have bought a usb wifi dongle)

Audio: Realtek HD Audio (I have no idea what codec i am using, but the driver specs are located here

Use this guide for clues.

But for getting started, follow Clover guide linked from FAQ.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Use this guide for clues.

But for getting started, follow Clover guide linked from FAQ.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Thanks for the reply. I am currently trying to fix my Brightness Fix using your ACPIBacklight PNLF_ivy_sandy patch.

I have tried installing IntelBacklight.kext, and patched DSDT to the patched Folder, but to no avail. So I deleted the kext and rebuilded all permissions and kextcaches using

sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

and

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -update-volume /

I then used ACPIBacklight.kext and again, the same PNLF_ivy_sandy patch. Rebooted, slider still doesnt work.

I followed your troubleshooting, although some of the issues are very vague. I used clover configurator to drop OEM SSDTs. The rest were confusing to understand.

My steps of patching DSDT were:

using Clover F4
iasl to disassemble into a separate folder
MaciASL to open the .dsl
Navigated to GFX0, press patch and pasted the fix and clicked apply.
Compiled, no issues, save as DSDT.aml in patched folder, then I reboot. Display slider was showing, but nothing happens.

Please advice Mr @RehabMan !

Last edited:
Implementing display backlight control is easy:
- apply "Brightness Fix" to DSDT
- install IntelBacklight.kext

See guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.175791/

Note that for brightness to work, you must have QE/CI working first.

@RehabMan, the brightness had stopped working all of the sudden. Slider just does not do anything at all. The last time it was working was before I did the power management section of your FAQ.

My touchpad toggle enable/disable button(F6) also stopped working(Synaptics). Previously it was fine and I was able to toggle it, but now it stopped working. This bug is also happening in Linux Ubuntu.

In Linux, I could get my backlight to work with acpi_backlight=vendor.

Also, voodooHDA does not work at all for El Capitan. AppleALC too.

@RehabMan, the brightness had stopped working all of the sudden. Slider just does not do anything at all. The last time it was working was before I did the power management section of your FAQ.

Read brightness guide, post #1, "Problem Reporting".

My touchpad toggle enable/disable button(F6) also stopped working(Synaptics). Previously it was fine and I was able to toggle it, but now it stopped working. This bug is also happening in Linux Ubuntu.

In Linux, I could get my backlight to work with acpi_backlight=vendor.

Did you do a BIOS update or BIOS changes lately?

Also, voodooHDA does not work at all for El Capitan. AppleALC too.

I don't use VoodooHDA. There is advice on using AppleHDA in the FAQ.

Read brightness guide, post #1, "Problem Reporting".

Did you do a BIOS update or BIOS changes lately?

I don't use VoodooHDA. There is advice on using AppleHDA in the FAQ.

I may have found out what is causing the problem that have made my touchpad toggle key stopped working. I have dual boot Windows 8.1 and when I switched to Windows and went back to Mac, it stopped working. The same thing happened on Linux too. I went back to Windows and then back to Ubuntu again. The function key stopped working.

I may have found out what is causing the problem that have made my touchpad toggle key stopped working. I have dual boot Windows 8.1 and when I switched to Windows and went back to Mac, it stopped working. The same thing happened on Linux too. I went back to Windows and then back to Ubuntu again. The function key stopped working.

Windows is probably changing something in the EC that is not reset with a warm restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back