Contribute
Register

[WIP-Guide] HP ENVY x360 13-y013cl - i7-7500U Kaby Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

Someone is under High Sierra??

A few months ago I was trying to install macOS in my X360 Spectre (7500U) without success after a lot of attemps. I'm thinking about try again this weeking and I am reading all the related threaths.
Sadly my English is not so good and I have no experienc with DSDT patching.

So... Siera or High Sierra?

Thanks in advance.

I'm running Sierra (10.12.6) ... High Sierra shipped with a lot of bugs .. so I'm sticking with Sierra for now - the latest security up date for Sierra resolves the Meltdown Intel bug, Spectre bug fixed with latest Safari update.

See my sig for specs

Update: June/July 2018

I Finally updated to High Sierra, Initially to 10.13.4 with no problems, however when i updated to 10.13.6 I ran into a few issues, turns out i needed to change the DGPU patch as it uses EC code .. see this thread for more info (solution is in the last few posts)

I've since streamlined my system using Lilu and associated plug-ins:-
  • Whatevergreen for Intel Video
  • AppleALC for Audio
  • AirportBrcmFixup for WiFi
Full list of all current 3rd party Kext's installed in /L/E :-
  1. ACPIBatteryManager.kext
  2. AirportBrcmFixup.kext
  3. AppleALC.kext
  4. BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
  5. BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
  6. FakeSMC.kext
  7. Lilu.kext
  8. USBInjectAll.kext
  9. VoodooI2C.kext
  10. VoodooI2CHID.kext
  11. VoodooPS2Controller.kext
  12. WhateverGreen.kext
All kext's are the latest versions except for AppleALC which is version 1.2.7

System is more stable than ever, the WiFi bitrate issues i was seeing after wake/sleep have been completely solved by using AirportBrcmFixup, hand-off and continuity work flawlessly .. see WIP guides linked in my sig for more info.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
I'm running Sierra (10.12.6) I have not bothered to update to High Sierra on my HP Spectre X360 (15" KBL) as there is really no benefit to it over Sierra ... at least for me ... it has very little new features that actually matter except for a new File system that i don't want/cant use and High Sierra shipped with a lot of bugs .. so I'm sticking with Sierra for now - the latest security up date for Sierra resolves the Meltdown Intel bug, Spectre bug fixed with latest Safari update.

I think Sierra is currently more stable than High Sierra IMHO ..

See my sig for specs

Cheers
Jay
Hi Jay!
Thank you for your reply.

I have followed you on this thread :)

Then I am going with Sierra! On Friday I will try to get it:)

This time I will install on a externernal drive.

Best regards.

Any way this can work on HP HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15m-bp0xx?

@viewsfromthepi,

Was about to post exactly what rehabman posted but he beat me to it ...

The only way to know is to give it a go ... if you haven't done a hackingtosh laptop before then be prepared to do a lot of homework ... such as extracting and patching DSDT, disabling GPU, NVMe patching and spoofing, USB enabling, Clover patches .. etc.

A lot of the info you need is elsewhere on this site and not in this thread, Rehabman has some great guides on each of the issues that you will likely encounter ...

Cheers
Jay

Hi Guys,

An update on WiFi & BT experiments ...

As i already posted i swapped out the intel WiFi/bT card in my 2017 15" HP Spectre X360 for BCM94352Z ... WiFi in OSX and linux worked perfect but in windows 10 the laptop would lock up as soon as i attempted to connect to a network .. it seems to be a very common issue with this card and windows 10 ...

Searching the internet results in lots of suggestions (mainly trying different driver versions) but after several attempts and god knows how many different driver versions .. i've given up trying to get the BCM94352Z card working in windows ... and yes i did try another BCM94352Z card but it resulted in the same issues.

Additionally as i reported in the same post (and by others elsewhere) the BT USB device on the BCM94352Z would not always initialise correctly during POST resulting in it not being seen in windows or osx ... it was possible to get it to work but required a random number of reboots/sleep/wakes ... once it was seen by osx it worked fine ... even after sleep/wake ... but for me the BCM94352Z has not been an ideal solution especially with the windows wifi issues.

So time to look for a different solution ...

Despite warnings about it not being suitable for Lenovo and HP laptops I bought a Dell DW1830 on ebay for $25 ... this card has a BCM43602 PCI WiFi chipset and a BCM20450 USB bluetooth controller ... both of these chipsets (a variant of) are used on genuine Apple WiFi/BT cards so it should be much compatible if i can get it t work. Since this card is a 3x3 MIMO and supports three antenna's and the Spectre only has two i also purchased a suitable MHF-4 antenna ...

Its very important that if you install a wifi card that has more antenna connections than your system has physically that you install additional antenna's even if you can not locate the new antenna's in the same location as the original ones. Running a wifi card without all antennas connected could result in you burning out the radio transmitter on the card due to not enough load being placed and the transmitters radio amplifier thus causing it to run hot.

In my case i was unable to install an additional antenna in the laptops lid as the screen is bonded and i did not want to go through the potentially dangerous procedure of un-bonding and re-bonding the screen. The 15" X360 has some air inlet grills either side of the keyboard so i mounted mine in that area. Its not a perfect location as only a small amount of the antenna is able to access free air and thus effects its ability to pull in a signal but its better than nothing and ensures that the radio on the wifi card will not burn out.

Once the card and antenna was delivered i installed them in the X360, powered up and was disappointed to see that the WiFi (pci) part of the card was not detected in any OS (Windows/OSX/Linux) .... :|:|:|:|:|:|

Then i remembered an old trick some users have to do with the BCM94352Z so i masked pins 56 & 54 (BT & WiFi disable lines) .. and tried again ... booting into windows and checking device manager showed that the card was now detected :):):) so I went ahead and installed the latest Dell DW1830 WiFi and BT drivers, both installed fine and the card came on-line with no crashes or lock ups ... I gave it a good test for an hour or so and all was good.

Note: the DW1830 is missing pin 50 unlike the BCM94352Z so its a group of three pins not four as shown in the linked guide.

Reading up on the DW1830 on this site seems to state that it should work OOB .... so i booted into OSX (10.12.6) in safe mode and removed all the fixes for the BCM94352Z (fakepciXXX, BCMpatchram, clover patches .. etc) and rebooted ..

Sure enough WiFI was detected (both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz) and i was able to connect to my 5Ghz wireless network ... all be it at a slower speed of 450mbs compared to the 878Mbs i got with the BCM94352Z ... also no BT.

So I reinstalled BCMPatchRam2 & the repo kexts ... rebooted and BT was detected and working. Having now tested BT extensively i can say that this is the best BT support i've seen in a hackingtosh ... the BCM20450 BT controller supports LMP4.1 which is natively supported by OSX 10.12.XX .. i've seen no problems so far with handoff or airdrop.

Checking sys info showed that the WiFi card was being identified as 3rd party ... i checked the info.plist in RehabMans FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext which indeed showed that it supports my cards id's (14E4/43BA) so i reinstalled it along with FakePCIID.kext .. once the kext cache sorted itself out the card was identified as Apple AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x24)

The speed cap of 450Mbs indicated to me that that the card was probably only running in the 20/40 frequency band and not using the full 20/40/80 range of the card .. I've seen this issue before with my old Sony Vaio Hackingtosh which was resolved by changing the county code to '#a' (see the airport guide) so i applied the patch via Clover and rebooted.

As suspected it worked and my WiFi speed was back to 878Mbs, so now everything was working great in Windows and OSX and it was time to attack Linux.

Booting into Linux (I use Mint 18) the BT was detected straight away .. however it took some digging to get the WiFI working, it turned out the bcm firmware for the DW1830 in my kernel version (4.8) did not support the 14E4/43BA device. The solution was to to update the file brcmfmac43602-pcie.bin in /lib/firmware/brcm with this version and reboot, the new card was detected immediately by the brcmfmac framework and the correct kernel driver automatically loaded without any further intervention.

Summary,

All in all swapping out the BCM94352Z for the DW1830 has been a big step forward for me ... I now have working WiFi (2.4Ghz & 5Ghz 802.11 AC) and BT4.1 in all OS's and i can now put WiFi and BT to bed.

In my opinion the DW1830 ( BCM43602 / BCM20450 combo) is a far superior card to the BCM94352Z ... this might not be true for all cases and will depend largely on if you can get your desktop/laptop to see the card on the PCI bus, but if it does you will see much better WiFi performance and far more stable BT support in any OS.

If your already running a BCM94352Z that is installed correctly you should only need to disable the 'fvco' and BT handoff Clover patches, if your not getting full 5Ghz AC WiFi speeds use the #a country code patch.

Just thought i'd share what i've leant so far with this card.

Cheers
Jay

Update: Since posting the above i've now noticed WiFi issues after sleep, please see this thread for more info and workaround.
I bought dw1830, and after I installed it, I couldn't find a Bluetooth device whether it was win or Mac. I also tried to shield the pin. But is it still ineffective? Are there any good suggestions? Thank you!

I bought dw1830, and after I installed it, I couldn't find a Bluetooth device whether it was win or Mac. I also tried to shield the pin. But is it still ineffective? Are there any good suggestions? Thank you!

You need to update your signature with the specification of your system .. is it a laptop or desktop system ?

Is the Wifi side of the DW1830 showing up and working ... ?

If not then its likely a hardware level issue ... however if Wifi is working ok then you may have hit OSX's USB port limit.

The bluetooth side of the DW1830 should show up as a USB device ... it has as internal USB controller so it will increase the number of USB ports in your system.... However OSX only supports a limited number of USB ports so you may need to Increase the number of supported USB ports in OSX .. see rehab mans guide here for more info ...

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-USB-Inject-All

Be sure to go through the debugging stage to find all of your active USB ports and create a custom SSDT

Edit: Hummm ... just re read your post and you say that BT is also not detected in Windows .... however if your using Win 10 the bluetooth supports has been screwed up for the last few versions .. make sure you install the latest DELL DW1830 bluetooth driver package ..

The BT side of the DW1830 is fully supported in the latest Linux builds so you could try booting a Live version of Linux ( I use Linux Mint) .. if it shows up in Linux then at least you know the hardware is good.

If none of that works then i guess it could be a faulty card.

Good Luck
Jay

Last edited:
You need to update your signature with the specification of your system .. is it a laptop or desktop system ?

Is the Wifi side of the DW1830 showing up and working ... ?

If not then its likely a hardware level issue ... however if Wifi is working ok then you may have hit OSX's USB port limit.

The bluetooth side of the DW1830 should show up as a USB device ... it has as internal USB controller so it will increase the number of USB ports in your system.... However OSX only supports a limited number of USB ports so you may need to Increase the number of supported USB ports in OSX .. see rehab mans guide here for more info ...

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-USB-Inject-All

Be sure to go through the debugging stage to find all of your active USB ports and create a custom SSDT

Edit: Hummm ... just re read your post and you say that BT is also not detected in Windows .... however if your using Win 10 the bluetooth supports has been screwed up for the last few versions .. make sure you install the latest DELL DW1830 bluetooth driver package ..

The BT side of the DW1830 is fully supported in the latest Linux builds so you could try booting a Live version of Linux ( I use Linux Mint) .. if it shows up in Linux then at least you know the hardware is good.

If none of that works then i guess it could be a faulty card.

Good Luck
Jay
I use dw1830 in my friend's laptop, and biuetooth works well. But in my laptop, I can't find bluetooth device in win10 or mac, and Wifi works. But my old dw1560 can work in my laptop, both the BT and Wifi. I will try booting a Live version of Linux. Thank you!

I think this is my first post so hello. The past week I have read this forum related to the HP Envy, this is my 2nd hackintosh build and first laptop, SDST DTST patching were new to me but relatively simple once I grasped it. I have gotten everything working on High Sierra 10.13.4 on my HP Envy x360 y13 accept the backlit brightness controls. I cant even get brightness to show up under displays in sysprefs. I have been attempting to patch this using the AppleBacklightInjector.kext.. Has anyone been able to get brightness working and could point me in the right direction?? Thanks

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 149
  • HPEnvyx360.ioreg
    9 MB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back