Contribute
Register

[WIP-Guide] HP ENVY x360 13-y013cl - i7-7500U Kaby Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ensure Inject System ID in System Parameters section is unchecked and leave custom UUID empty.
I think that was my problem. I had the Custom UUID filled in. Additionally, I had ROM set to use Network Address 0, which wasn't working for some reason. So I insterted a value that had worked previously, and now I'm getting a ROM value. Nothing is complaining about it, so it seems to be working.

Thanks a lot for your help, jaymonkey. I'm intrigued about this efi method working. But I think your approach is wise to not put much more work into this until High Sierra comes out.

You may have mentioned it elsewhere - does your machine sleep?

I think that was my problem. I had the Custom UUID filled in. Additionally, I had ROM set to use Network Address 0, which wasn't working for some reason. So I insterted a value that had worked previously, and now I'm getting a ROM value. Nothing is complaining about it, so it seems to be working.

Custom UUID and the inject option on the System Parameters page is for overriding the BIOS UUID use it only if your system suffers from the Sid bug (see main guide for details) ... not needed on the X360 or most laptops and motherboards released in the last few years ...

Thanks a lot for your help, jaymonkey. I'm intrigued about this efi method working. But I think your approach is wise to not put much more work into this until High Sierra comes out.

You may have mentioned it elsewhere - does your machine sleep?

My machine sleeps with no issues and wakes with either lid open or the power switch, wake via keyboard has been an issue for most people since the release of Sierra ..

Cheers
Jay

I don't know if anyone is still looking for a fix for the kernel panic caused by booting from the nvme drive, but I've found a pretty clean one:
Use a Linux installation or live USB to download the efitools package, then copy the file /usr/share/efitools/efi/PreLoader.efi to your CLOVER folder. Rename the CLOVERX64.efi file to loader.efi. Then, use efibootmgr to add a boot entry pointing to the PreLoader.efi file. Make sure secure boot is disabled.

Actually, not quite. It is indeed a secure boot workaround on linux, but when secure boot is disabled it functions as a chainloader. GRUB is actually capable of the same thing, but I had issues with osxaptiofixdrv.efi when using grub.

When PreLoader.efi runs with secure boot enabled, it will search for the loader.efi file, and if the file's hash is not enrolled, it will launch HashTool.efi. However, with secure boot disabled PreLoader.efi runs none of these checks, and instead chainloads the loader.efi file.

Hi ddegrasse,

I tried this method but when i launch PreLoader.efi it responds with a blank screen with the message "Secure mode disabled" and nothing else, i have renamed cloverx64. efi to loader.efi

I used my installed copy of Mint linux to download and i install efitools and placed PreLoader.efi in Clovers folder, am wondering if this version of efitools/preloader has been changed to now ensurer that Secure mode is enabled, have attached this version the PreLoader.efi to this post, would if appreciate if you could you please try it on you system and see if it does the same ?

Cheers
Jay

Attachments

• PreLoader.efi.zip
    39.6 KB · Views: 153
I got the PreLoader option working natively:
- Put Preloader.efi in the Clover directory, renamed Cloverx64.efi "loader.efi"
- Replaced EFI/Boot/BootX64.efi supplied by HP with the clover version (not sure if this is necessary)
- Used EasyUEFI in Windows to create a new boot option, navigated to Preloader.efi path, and moved boot order above Windows Bootloader.
Ta-da! UEFI Clover at boot, no kernel panics, both OSX / Windows 10 boot perfectly.

So, I'm expecting this may be an issue distinctly related to 12.6, but no Brightness slider appears in Display despite using the AppleBacklightInjector.kext, config.plist edit, and SSDT-PNLF.aml.

I've finally sorted out sound (took your advice, JayMonkey, and made manual DSDT edits). Many thanks!

Also, another issue possibly related to 12.6: it appears I cannot use the USB3 _PRW Skylake Instant Wake DSDT edits, as backlight flickers madly upon awakening. Strip the edits away, and it won't stay asleep, but at least no flickering.

Rehabman, in case you can help, I've included Problem Solving files (minus Clover themes), plus terminal output:

MacBook-Pro:RehabMan jay$ kextstat|grep -y acpiplat

13 2 0xffffff7f8305f000 0x66000 0x66000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (5.0) 65E05472-6AE7-3308-8CC8-FA6CB0DB2AEE <12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>

MacBook-Pro:RehabMan jay$ kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
MacBook-Pro:RehabMan jay$ kextstat|grep -y applelpc
MacBook-Pro:RehabMan jay$ kextstat|grep -y applehda

94 0 0xffffff7f82f81000 0x1d000 0x1d000 com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController (279.48) ED51F180-19C8-3DE1-AF81-0E389D98ADDE <93 74 49 12 7 6 5 4 3 1>

MacBook-Pro:RehabMan jay$ sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext AppleBacklightInjector.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Mouse.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Controller.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext USBInjectAll.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext Lilu.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext CodecCommander.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ACPIBatteryManager.kext
KernelCache ID: 43B76053F4E4848FDCEA5F7E3C5A6178

EDIT: added back in original OEM aml files to origin, omitted by accident.

Attachments

• MacBook Pro.zip
    684.3 KB · Views: 154
  • RehabMan.zip
    71.3 KB · Views: 132
  • CLOVER.zip
    5 MB · Views: 161
@jaymonkey can you please share your config.plist from clover. I have the same 15" x360 laptop and I am kind of confused after many edits on this.

Hi ddegrasse,

I tried this method but when i launch PreLoader.efi it responds with a blank screen with the message "Secure mode disabled" and nothing else, i have renamed cloverx64. efi to loader.efi

I used my installed copy of Mint linux to download and i install efitools and placed PreLoader.efi in Clovers folder, am wondering if this version of efitools/preloader has been changed to now ensurer that Secure mode is enabled, have attached this version the PreLoader.efi to this post, would if appreciate if you could you please try it on you system and see if it does the same ?

Cheers
Jay

That version of the PreLoader.efi file works fine for me, no issues. I'm running bios revision F.32. I'm attaching a copy of my CLOVER folder, just in case that helps.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 307
Has anyone working with either of these laptops had issues with swapping a BCM94352Z chip in for the wifi adapter? Despite following the guides, I can't get OS X to recognize my wifi card.

*Edit*
and just as I decided to post about the issue I fixed it! for anyone that has seemingly inexplicable wifi issues, try flashing the latest bios (at the time of writing F.34)

As a sidenote, @jaymonkey I can now confirm the PreLoader.efi file you posted works on bios revision F.34

Has anyone working with either of these laptops had issues with swapping a BCM94352Z chip in for the wifi adapter? Despite following the guides, I can't get OS X to recognize my wifi card.

*Edit*
and just as I decided to post about the issue I fixed it! for anyone that has seemingly inexplicable wifi issues, try flashing the latest bios (at the time of writing F.34)

As a sidenote, @jaymonkey I can now confirm the PreLoader.efi file you posted works on bios revision F.34

For me, it wasn't until I realized I needed FakePCIID_Broadcom_Wifi.kext that i got things with my BCM94352Z fully working. There's also 3 Kext patches needed in Clover. One by Dark Void, one to fix 5Ghz, and one for Handoff (Continuity). They were in Codeye's config.plist that he posted, and I now have them also in mine. I found it extremely helpful to use the continuity tool to diagnose the entire wifi/bluetooth system, as I could clearly see when the wifi card wasn't visible as hardware, then when it was visible just not working/loaded, then fully loaded. Continuity claims to help with white-listing the wifi card, but I had continuity working even without its help in my first attempt. (12.5) I used the Continuity tool to double check my settings when I installed 12.6.
*Edit* glad you got it working!

Last edited:

*Edit*

@ddegrasse,

I'm using BCM94352Z in X360 ... the Wifi works perfect (2.4 & 5Ghz) but a lot of the time the bluetooth does not initialize correctly (device not seen on USB bus) ... have not been able to nail the cause down, however if i cold boot the system and then do a few warm re-boots the bluetooth eventually works perfectly, have tried several bluetooth firmware loaders but all have the same result ...

My only issue with the BCM94352Z is that i cant use it with windows 10, as soon as i try to connect to a wifi network (in windows) the system blue screens ... have tried lots of different driver revisions but all do the same ... it seems to be a common issue with this card under windows 10 on certain laptops ...... lots of DELL users reporting the same issue.

Maybe i need to look at this latest BIOS update ?

Thanks for checking that version of the PreLoader out ... i suspected that it might work for you, i think i have a corrupt MSR key on my system drive ... i suspect due to windows 10 blue screening a lot when i was trying to get the BCM94352Z working with windows ..... have tried using efibootmgr to write a new one but has not helped .... will look into it some more when i have time.

To use Windows 10 i have to flag the BCM94352Z as disabled in network settings and use a USB wifi card ... which is annoying.

Interestingly Mint Linx works with the BCM94352Z with no issues at all (wifi & BT)

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back