Contribute
Register

[WIP-Guide] HP ENVY x360 13-y013cl - i7-7500U Kaby Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jay,
The touchscreen on the Envy is Elan USB (PID: 0x22af VID: 0x04f3). It is recognised natively as an AppleUSBHostCompositeDevice.

If it's i2c maybe voodooi2c will help?

Thanks for the info .. being a USB HID device explains why you have partial touch support OOB ... Nice !

Have already contacted alexandred (developer of voodooi2c) to see if he can add support for the Spectre X360 touch screen, n-trig pen and gyro sensors ... its an interesting project but still at a very early stage ... however it looks promising

Cheers
Jay

Unfortunately Not ... The 2017 HP Spectre X360 (And Envy ?) BIOS favours UEFI entries first .. so by removing them it falls back to booting first legacy loader defined in MSR ... a bit messy i know but it works so a big step forwards ... no more having to boot from USB via F9.

As alrady shared with you .. the BIOS is very very limited .... no access to any form of CSM mangment, just Secure Boot :-

View attachment 249276

I've dumped the BIOS and used the AMI utils to analise the BIOS menu structures .. all the really usefull menu's and settings are hidden, i can easly enable the menus and build a new BIOS image .. but unfortuantley it needs to be a signed BIOS image .. I dernt flash a chnaged bios as a few reports of it bricking laptops if not signed ...

It seems that HP are moving towards full native UEFI for all POST utilities ..

The HP folder on the Nvme EFI partition contains many efi utilities, diagnostics, BIOS update, mem test .. all sorts of stuff that can be manually run via F9 and selecting the appropiate efi file :-

Directory of /EFI/HP/BIOSUpdate
View attachment 249272
Directory of /EFI/HP/SystemDiags
View attachment 249273

I think its this change in post software stratagey (rather than these utils being burned into BIOS) that causes OSX to KP when Clover is booted from the nvme (as UEFI) ... the BIOS seems to treat Clover as one of these HP efi utilities .. enabling the Touch screen and touch keyboard ... which seems to switch the device into some sort of diagnostic mode ... still looking into that but at least things are working well now using MSR to boot Clover (legecy mode)

Cheers
Jay

"System Configuration" is the only tab available in your BIOS settings?

"System Configuration" is the only tab available in your BIOS settings?

RM,

If you remember i sent you photos of all BIOS screens ... check the PM conversation we had on this subject.

Cheers
Jay

Hi Jay,
The touchscreen on the Envy is Elan USB (PID: 0x22af VID: 0x04f3). It is recognised natively as an AppleUSBHostCompositeDevice.

Seems HP Spectre X360 (15" 2017 model) is quite different to HP Envy in that respect :-

/dev/input/event4 (Touchpad)
bustype : BUS_I8042
vendor : 0x2
product : 0x7
version : 433
name : "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
phys : "isa0060/serio1/input0"
bits ev : EV_SYN EV_KEY EV_ABS

/dev/input/event16 (Touch Screen)
bustype : BUS_I2C
vendor : 0x4f3
product : 0x22ca
version : 256
name : "ELAN22CA:00 04F3:22CA"
phys : "i2c-ELAN22CA:00"
uniq : ""

/dev/input/event17 (N-Trig Pen)
name : "ELAN22CA:00 04F3:22CA Pen"
bits ev : EV_SYN EV_KEY EV_ABS EV_MSC

Looks like alexandred (developer of voodooi2c) should be able to support it as already has alpha version working with these devices (on a different machine) ...

Cheers
Jay

RM,

If you remember i sent you photos of all BIOS screens ... check the PM conversation we had on this subject.

Cheers
Jay

I think they were deleted. I didn't memorize the content.

I think they were deleted. I didn't memorize the content.

Ok understood, well to recap its the most locked down BIOS you can image, no hardware configuration options at all, it basically consists of a Info/status page,security page to set password & TPM, and a power management page (fan, VT and usb charging) in addition to the boot options screen shot that i posted above ... thats it.

Like i said i've dumped and de-constructed the BIOS using AMI tools and all the good juicy stuff is in there, its just that those menus are flagged as hidden and unavailable .... pretty shocking considering this is HP's top of the line flagship covetable laptop. I understand that changing some of the factory set BIOS values could cause issues which is why manufactures do lock down BIOS's but HP have gone way to far with this one IMO.

Its real easy to enable the all the hidden menus and build a new BIOS image but it needs to be RSA signed which only HP can do (unless someone releases some sort of 3rd party utility) .... flashing a non signed UEFI BIOS to the latest HP laptops can result in a bricked device .... i'm not brave (or stupid) enough to try it ...

Luckily DVMT-prealloc seems to be set high enough as have had no issues with the 4K display and Intel 620 GPU (other than spoofing it to 520)

However despite the BIOS shortfalls it really is a fantastic machine and runs OSX very well, Apple'esc build quality, great battery life, best keyboard i've used on a laptop ever, one of the best displays i've seen on a laptop hack along with a very good trackpad - i re-installed your latest latest voodoo-ps2-ctrl kext and it works great along with brightness & volume keys :)

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Seems HP Spectre X360 (15" 2017 model) is quite different to HP Envy in that respect :-

/dev/input/event4 (Touchpad)
bustype : BUS_I8042
vendor : 0x2
product : 0x7
version : 433
name : "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
phys : "isa0060/serio1/input0"

/dev/input/event16 (Touch Screen)
name : "ELAN22CA:00 04F3:22CA"

/dev/input/event17 (N-Trig Pen)
name : "ELAN22CA:00 04F3:22CA Pen"
bits ev : EV_SYN EV_KEY EV_ABS EV_MSC

Looks like alexandred (developer of voodooi2c) should be able to support it as already has alpha version working with these devices (on a different machine) ...

Cheers
Jay

Have you made any progress on getting your touchscreen to work?
I have a Spectre x360 aswell but the Late 2016 model and would love to have additional touchscreen controls!

My Touchscreen seems to be the Elan 0732 atleast that is what I found in IoReg

Thank you very much

Last edited:
jaymonkey, your and codeye's tips on getting legacy boot to work seem to be working fine on my 13" 2017 Spectre x360. I was able to use EasyUEFI to disable the entries from Windows, and Clover comes right up for me. A couple questions for you:
  • When I did this, my iMessage stuff that was working with my external EFI booting broke, so I started going through the iDiot's Guide To iMessage again. I have EmuVariableUefi-64 installed, but iMessageDebug gives me "System-ID: failed and ROM: 000000000000." - did you get iMessage working?
  • Sometimes I accidentally leave the USB drive I used to need for EFI booting plugged in when I reboot. When that happens, something happens to the UEFI entries, and something gets re-enabled. I have to go back into Windows and disable again so my legacy booting works again. Is that happening to you?

edit: attached problem reporting files

Attachments

• IcePiq Problem Reporting 2017-07-16.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
When I did this, my iMessage stuff that was working with my external EFI booting broke, so I started going through the iDiot's Guide To iMessage again. I have EmuVariableUefi-64 installed, but iMessageDebug gives me "System-ID: failed and ROM: 000000000000." - did you get iMessage working?

There is no need to use emulated nvram on the 2017 X360 it has native NVRAM so i would ditch EmuVariableUefi-64 and remove the scripts that write nvram.plist to the efi partition on shutdown/reboot ... ensure that your clover config.plist is configured correctly for systemid .. suggest you read my imessage guide for tips and suggestions .. the guide you link to is a very basic one based on the info from my guide but gives no background information.

Sometimes I accidentally leave the USB drive I used to need for EFI booting plugged in when I reboot. When that happens, something happens to the UEFI entries, and something gets re-enabled. I have to go back into Windows and disable again so my legacy booting works again. Is that happening to you?

Nope ... i don't have that issue ... system is very stable for me .... IMO once you resolve the above issues you should have no need to boot clover from USB.

Good Luck
Jay

JayMonkey (or others), I have the HP Envy x360 with the 1TB Hard Drive, otherwise identical to OPs. Did you encounter any end-of-installation crash issues which prevented a successful install? I think it may be linked to Sierra 12.5, as most of the attached clovers don't seem to have advanced beyond 12.3. Tried experimenting with Lilu & IntelFixGraphics, and making sure my NVMe kext was updated for 12.5, but to no avail. Maybe I need to revert to El Capitan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back