Contribute
Register

[WIP-Guide] HP ENVY x360 13-y013cl - i7-7500U Kaby Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost my Windows EFI settings accidentally by overwriting them. Maybe you've already tried this, but using a windows 10 rescue boot USB stick, diskpart, and the BCDBoot command restored my ability to boot securely from EFI partition:

After boot, invoke Diskpart, select the correct disk (probably Disk 0)
a:\Diskpart
Diskpart>list disk
Diskpart>set disk=0

Access the EFI partition, select the EFI volume, assign it a drive letter
Diskpart>list vol
Diskpart>set vol=0
Diskpart>assign letter=d:
Diskpart>exit

Access the volume, then rebuild or replace the BCD
a:\cd /d D:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
d:\bootrec /rebuildbcd
if that fails, then copy valid booting files from the windows partition. (I needed this option).
d:\bcdboot C:\Windows /s d: /f UEFI

Got a lot of my help from: https://superuser.com/questions/460762/how-can-i-repair-the-windows-8-efi-bootloader

@jaymonkey
What refresh rate are you getting on your hp spectre. I am only getting 40hz.
can you please share your config.plist from clover?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 1.13.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 1.13.46 AM.png
    219.2 KB · Views: 173
Hey guys,
Thanks for helping with the efi fix.
Has anyone managed to get video out through the HDMI port?

10.12.6 seems to be a game changer.
Turns out setting SMBIOS for MacBookPro14,2 does the trick with device 0x59168086 ig-platform-id 0x59160000 and no other clover graphics patches. I haven't got audio over HDMI at present and certain screen resolutions on my TV look flakey but 1600x900 60hz works mirroring laptop. IOReg confirms Framebuffer 1 connection on port number 5.

OK: HDMI Audio works by selecting the UseIntelHDMI checkbox in the Devices panel.

Now if only my bluetooth wasn't flaky like Jaymonkey has noted. Seems to require a random combination of different sleep modes to turn on, most often with sleep from the Apple Menu and wake from the power button (but not always - go figure).

Last edited:
HP ENVY x360 13-y013cl – Kaby Lake
Got this at costco: https://www.costco.com/HP-ENVY-x360-13-y013cl-13t-Touchscreen-2-in-1-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---QHD+-.product.100317294.html
Link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05318836

Works –
OSX 10.11.6
Microprocessor - Intel® Core™ i7-7500U (2.7 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz, 4 MB cache, 2 cores)
Memory - 16 GB LPDDR3-1866 SDRAM
Video graphics - Intel® HD Graphics 620 [use FakePCIID.kext & FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext & HD config_HD620.plist].
Hard drive - 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD [works with class-code spoof + HackrNVMeFamily*.kext]
Display -13.3" diagonal QHD+ UWVA eDP WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3200 x 1800)
Sleep – Sleeps when lid shuts and wakes up when lids open. However, can’t wake up system with keyboard/trackpad.
"Disk Not Ejected" USB error fix – Install Jettison Mac App
Trackpad/Keyboard – Install SmartTouchPad_v4.6.5
Backlight - works with DSDT edit + IntelBacklight.kext
App Store - works with NullEthernet.kext + NullEthernetInjector.kext
AppleLPC - tried DSDT edit but didn't work so ejected manually with AppleLPCInjector.kext
HiDPI – works
1. Enable HiDPI mode:
a. In terminal – sudo defaults write /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool YES
b. copy attached DisplayVendorID-4c83 folder to /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/
c. Install RDM 2.1 and enjoy!
Touchscreen - works OOB

Doesn’t work –
Sound – Conexant CX8200 (14f1:2008) [Tried using VoodooHDA; it works but but it stutters]
Battery - tried battery_HP-DV6-3165sf DSDT patch + APCIBatteryManager.kext, works but the time remaining goes up and down consistently and the backlight becomes laggy so I removed the patch.
WiFi – Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 [Bought a DW1560 (BCM94352Z) card, will replace once the card arrives)
Keyboard Backlight Controls – Temporarily fix with Karabiner but would like it working with DSDT edit.

Pre-installation
1. Boot into BIOS and do the following
a. Restore to BIOS default
b. Disable Secure Boot in BIOS
2. Create Clover UEFI USB using post #1 of the following guide - http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html. I used the createinstallmedia method.
a. Download the attached EFI folder and copy the files into your USB’s EFI partition. Make sure to overwrite the files.

Installation
1. Boot into USB and follow post #2 of the following guide - http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html
2. Install clover to your new OSX partition on your HDD
3. Copy EFI folder from your USB to EFI partition on your HDD.
4. Reboot and Enjoy!

Sound – Conexant CX8200 (14f1:2008) [Tried using VoodooHDA; it works but but it stutters] ----> https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/releases/tag/1.1.3 It works very well.(sierra)

Attachments

• 1.1.3.RELEASE.zip
    613.1 KB · Views: 146
10.12.6 seems to be a game changer.
Turns out setting SMBIOS for MacBookPro14,2 does the trick with device 0x59168086 ig-platform-id 0x59160000 and no other clover graphics patches. I haven't got audio over HDMI at present and certain screen resolutions on my TV look flakey but 1600x900 60hz works mirroring laptop. IOReg confirms Framebuffer 1 connection on port number 5.

OK: HDMI Audio works by selecting the UseIntelHDMI checkbox in the Devices panel.

Now if only my bluetooth wasn't flaky like Jaymonkey has noted. Seems to require a random combination of different sleep modes to turn on, most often with sleep from the Apple Menu and wake from the power button (but not always - go figure).

@codeye,

Nice find with 10.12.6 .... we knew native Kaby Lake was coming to High Sierra but its quite common for Apple to release support for next gen hardware in the last 1 or 2 updates of the current Mac OS. Great to know its looking good so far. What is USB 3.1 support like ? ... do both USB 3.1 ports work ? ... on my X360 only two of the three usb ports work, the legacy 3.0 usb port and rear most 3.1 port, although i can still use the other 3.1 port for charging.

Any improvement on 40Hz refresh rate using native kaby lake support ?

Have not done any testing with HDMI port and still have not found a fix for the Bluetooth not initialising on every boot ... needs a random sleep/wake/multiple reboots before it says hello.

Have you tried the latest BIOS update .... i just haven't had any time to do anymore investigation work on the X360 for a while now .. it might help with the BT issue.

Sound – Conexant CX8200 (14f1:2008) [Tried using VoodooHDA; it works but but it stutters] ----> https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/releases/tag/1.1.3 It works very well.(sierra)

@hjkim6802,

2017 Spectre (and i think Eney) X360's use realtek ALC295 hardware codec, keep Apple HDA vanilla and use Mirone's HDA Patcher to generate dummy HDA and clover patches for ALC295 along with the generated codec commander ... I worked together with Mirone to get the ALC295 supported .. works great.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/496-applehda-patcher/

Note: You will need a InsanleyMac account to download it.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@jaymonkey
What refresh rate are you getting on your hp spectre. I am only getting 40hz.
can you please share your config.plist from clover?

I seem to also be getting 40Hz ...

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 12.29.22.png

I think its one of the side effects of spoofing the Skylake GPU .... hopefully the native Kaby Lake support (see posts above) will improve the situation.

You should disable the onboard Nvidia GPU (the PCIe device on you GPU list) its not supported in OSX on a laptop, disabling it will give you a bit more battery life as right now its powered up but not doing anything. You need to patch your DSDT and SSDT Rehab man has a very good guide :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-disabling-discrete-graphics-in-dual-gpu-laptops.163772/

Cheers
Jay

I seem to also be getting 40Hz ...

pixel clock patch fixes the refresh rate issue. it was posted in the other spectre guide thread.
I disabled the nvidia gpu.

Only problem I am facing right now is that headphone jack is not working. I used the Mirone's pacher method suggested by you.

Only problem I am facing right now is that headphone jack is not working. I used the Mirone's pacher method suggested by you.

hummmm .. strange we spent a lot of time getting the external mic and headphone working for the ALC295 HDA... have just checked mine and its working fine so don't know what to suggest. Are you sure there are no remnants of VoodooHDA left ? .. also try and check operation with headphone set that has built in mic ... 4 way 3.5mm combined headphone/mic jacks as fitted on Spectre can be a bit picky with what they want to work with as spacing on the headphone's jack plug has to be much more precise than basic 3 way stereo 3.5mm jacks.

Will look into the pixel clock patch ... thanks.

Cheers
Jay

Hi Codeye,

With regards to the BCM94352Z wifi/BT card .... does the wifi work for you in windows 10 ?

When in Windows 10 once i join a wifi network the system locks up .. either immediately or soon after. I've tried every driver i can find and have installed all Windows 10 updates but problem remains .... really frustrating as the wifi works so well in OSX & Linux.

The cause of the crash/lock up is always the Broadcom driver .. specifically bcmwl63a.sys .. like i said i've tried loads of different versions of the driver including Dell & Lenovo + Others .. all have the same problem :mad:

Lots of other users reporting the same or similar issues with this card on many different forums .. see google results

Would be very interested to know if it works for you (or others) ok ?

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back